Harvesting crops...

Torn

I've just started getting into farming, and my first batch of potatoes and cabbages are ready for harvest.

My question is whether I can leave the crops alone and harvest when I need the food, or will they eventually rot, catch disease, etc?

I don't want to harvest them all now if  they'll just go rotten in my inventory

I've just started getting into farming, and my first batch of potatoes and cabbages are ready for harvest.

My question is whether I can leave the crops alone and harvest when I need the food, or will they eventually rot, catch disease, etc?

I don't want to harvest them all now if  they'll just go rotten in my inventory

If they have reached the last growing phase, they will rot after a few days, depenting on the vegetable.

You can harvest some of them at the second to last growing phase, but you will not get any seeds.

Cabbage will rot after two days after reaching the last phase.

Potatos will rot after 1.5 days.

I don't want to harvest them all now if they'll just go rotten in my inventory

If they have reached the last growing phase, they will rot after a few days, depenting on the vegetable.

You can harvest some of them at the second to last growing phase, but you will not get any seeds.

How long will they stay good after harvesting?

Same amount of time as any other perishable veggies you pick up. If you keep em in the fridge I'd say you have at least a week before you have to start being concerned. Maybe a little bit more. It varies depending on the specific veggie though. I think I remember reading that potatoes last the longest. The trick is to just stagger your crops so you don't end up with a huge harvest and end up wasting food because of it. Once you start leveling your farming skill a bit you'll be able to see the growing cycles of each crop before you plant it, so it makes planning a lot easier in that regard.

not knowing how farming worked i started,  by planting 6 brocoli, 6 tomato, 6 strawberry and 6 carrot.

carrot got sick and died, but now silly me i  am stuck with   47 brocoli, 67 strawberry(those can be harvested multiple time) and 40 tomato  ^_^ thank god we cant  gain trait or my toons would get overweight

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking for answer to one harvesting related question, and here it was mentioned...

I didnt get any seed from cabbage when I harvested them (immediately when it was possible). How exactly I get seeds back?

I've been looking for answer to one harvesting related question, and here it was mentioned...

I didnt get any seed from cabbage when I harvested them (immediately when it was possible). How exactly I get seeds back?

Wait to harvest your crops until they're in the last stage of growing to get some seeds back

Wait to harvest your crops until they're in the last stage of growing to get some seeds back

Or to put it another way... there's another stage of growth.

I think it goes "seedling -> young -> adult -> harvestable -> seeding -> rotted in ground".  

** Strawberry goes back to young when harvested as I recall, all other plants are removed when harvested

You can harvest at either harvestable or seeding stages; but you only get seeds when the plant says it's seeding.

It generally takes a day or 2 (same as other stages) to go from harvestable to seeding.

Oh, and from the last beta patch, you can bundle seeds back up into 50 packs.  So you don't have 400 seeds you're trying to move about. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Potatoes rot in 1.5 days? That's somewhat absurd. They like cool, damp places. If anything potatoes left in the ground grow MORE potatoes.

The one crop that shouldn't rot very quickly at all after harvest is the potato; you can literally store potatoes for months if done properly - cool, slightly humid, and dark. A wooden box under the sink usually does the job nicely, or in a cardboard box in the fridge. Cutting them up and freezing them is best, but that's not really an option. If we could build basements, that would be ideal for storing crops long-term.

I don't want to harvest them all now if they'll just go rotten in my inventory

How long will they stay good after harvesting?My diseased cabbage rotted after one day it entered the final phase.