Mental Health Discussion Thread

Rathlord

Grow yourself a little zen garden if you have the space for it. Maybe even have someone with good carpentry skill come along and build all kinds of decorative wooden structures like a gazebo and wooden benches that you can lounge around on.

Burying the dead (survivors) should also help with sanity. Nothing more demoralizing than seeing your dead wife on the pavement a few months in...

But yeah I like the idea of managing sanity. It gets a little monotonous with all the "loot-build-loot-farm-loot-build...". Anything to liven up the late game (4+ months in) after almost all is looted and the base is strong.

Burying the dead (survivors) should also help with sanity. Nothing more demoralizing than seeing your dead wife on the pavement a few months in...

But yeah I like the idea of managing sanity. It gets a little monotonous with all the "loot-build-loot-farm-loot-build...". Anything to liven up the late game (4+ months in) after almost all is looted and the base is strong.

If your dead wife's corpse was amongst a pile of zombies, how would you know it was your dead wife? Because they don't have names.

I think the planned idea to make players sick or depressed if there are corpses around your safehouse will have the same effect.

If your dead wife's corpse was amongst a pile of zombies, how would you know it was your dead wife? Because they don't have names.

I think the planned idea to make players sick or depressed if there are corpses around your safehouse will have the same effect.

You underestimate my relationship with said wife lol

You underestimate my relationship with said wife lol

If you love her that much, soon you'll be able to keep her in your safehouse, tucked up safe and warm on your bedroom floor! ;)

Warm *wink wink* lol

Well since we are kinda playing The Sims: Dead People Walk Edition, i think is really necessary to have happiness and sanity in PZ.

That is also one of the features in the page of the game, to keep surviving you need to have your character in a sane state of mind, keep depression at bay, boredom when you are in a fortress and also the NPCs.

With the NPCs, imagine if you find a NPC that is insane? A lot of stuff can happen with that situation and it adds to the game theme.

I have some ideas for some psychotic rambling when you do break...

Wandering/Inside-

(Whispering)

"Zombies, nothing but zombies everywhere everywhere EVERYWHERE..."

"Where am I? Shhhh! Did you hear that?"

"Why why why why why? Never ends...never ends..."

"They watch me...I can see them, everywhere, dead dead dead dead..."

"Stupid zombies, stupid stupid stupid STUPID..."

"Why won't they leave me alone? They're in my mind...I know they are...shhh shhhhhh..."

Killing Zombies-

(Screaming/Yelling)

"Walk around this empty town, see walking corpses, oh oh my so much fun! POP goes the shotgun!"

"Who's crazy now huh! YOU! YOU ARE!"

"HAHAHAHAHA! SO MUCH BLOOOOOD!"

"First you bash their skulls in, then you just. keep. HITTING!"

"Hush now,quite now, its to time to go to BED!"

NPC Interaction-

(Talking)

"Hey. Pssst! Buddy! Over here!"

"We should get together sometime! You know...as frieeeeends..."

"Awwww...but I wanted to be FRIENDS..."

"Don't run from me BUDDY!"

"Oh. Is THAT how it's going to be? Fine...you'd look better dead anyway..."

"Yay! A new friend! Follow me buddy!"

"Oh were going to have SO much fun together..."

What do you think?

What you are telling us, is a moderate depression, and an intense level of auditory and visual hallucinations. Clearly a sign of Schizophrenia. But why not another kind of mental illness? Schizophrenia is pretty common, but maybe, we should specify the sexual preference of our character, as homosexuals and bisexuals, tend to have the DOUBLE of intensity in Schizophrenia and other mental illnesses.

Until someone thinks it's a good idea to have romance, it will not matter.

However, if someone tries to add love in this game, i am gonna go to their house and kill them myself.

I don't want Project Zomboid to end like Club Penguin or Roblox.. Ugh...

Dude, not cool. Disagree with people all you want but don't threaten to hurt anyone.

we should specify the sexual preference of our character, as homosexuals and bisexuals, tend to have the DOUBLE of intensity in Schizophrenia and other mental illnesses.

Whoa there! Regardless of how true that is (and I have no idea), I really don't think it's good idea to build a mechanic that actively penalises gay and bisexual characters...

Until someone thinks it's a good idea to have romance, it will not matter.

However, if someone tries to add love in this game, i am gonna go to their house and kill them myself.

I don't want Project Zomboid to end like Club Penguin or Roblox.. Ugh...

You seem to forget you would have a romance with NPC's. (Personally its concerning to me if you do)

Or if its online it wouldn't matter anyway.. Multiplayer is planned to be small servers amongst friends generally not large ass ones like on Minecraft. Also don't judge those games, a lot of kids going through phases that play those, its only natural :P

we should specify the sexual preference of our character, as homosexuals and bisexuals, tend to have the DOUBLE of intensity in Schizophrenia and other mental illnesses.

Whoa there! Regardless of how true that is (and I have no idea), I really don't think it's good idea to build a mechanic that actively penalises gay and bisexual characters...

Aye, and I don't think we'll support discussions this line, nor additions to the game.=/

• 4 months later...

I personally would prefer a more in-depth system for mental health in the game, instead of just a single insanity bar. For example, if we take the ICD-10 (European equivalent of the DSM) under the 'mental and behavioural disorders' section we can see the massive variety of disorders: http://apps.who.int/classifications/icd10/browse/2010/en

I'd take a few general areas for the game: depression, anxiety, bipolar affective, schizophrenia and possibly personality disorder.

I also think there should be no 'cheating', i.e. a special moodle for depression. I think I need a few hours to write out exactly how I would imagine it... might do it this weekend!

Totally agree with Onto on this, in real life, people aren't sane or insane and to say so oversimplifies a very complicated (and sensitive) subject matter.

Instead of a moodle saying "schizophrenia", the actual symptoms the person has in game could be displayed, maybe in another menu or as a moodle. To have it as a moodle however implies that the symptoms might be able to be easily recovered from, which, as in the case with many mental disorders is a long and hard process to recover from, so recovering quickly or even recovering at all may be an unrealistic depiction of the disorder. For the purposes of the game though, the developers might choose that symptoms can be recovered from.

In regards to showing symptoms instead of the disorder the person is suffering from, though it is an easy answer to display the label of the disorder, it would be very easy to slip into misconceptions about, say, schizophrenia. I.e. The common misconception that the symptom of multiple personalities leads to a diagnosis of schizophrenia. So saying, "your character has psychosis and paranoia" instead of "your character has schizophrenia".

From reading the forums, people seem to want hallucinations to come part and parcel with being "insane", instead of calling it "insane" it should be called "psychosis".

I'm also curious to hear what you have to say too Onto :)

Tl;dr- there is no sane-insane dichotamy in real life and there shouldn't be in game

Symptom names not names of disorders should be stated in game

Edit: ill type up a more comprehensive post when I get on my computer.