Difference of Apocalypse and Survivor Mode?

DXPOHIHIHI

So there isn't much answers on google searches or reddit articles so I might as well ask here. What's the main difference of Apocalypse and Survivor Mode? I wanted to know since from the beginning but the description of it just says "Likes to be punished, with realistic and deadly combat often best avoided." and "Likes a challenge, with more focus on combat familiar to players of earlier builds" so far I've only noticed that weapons cant multi hit anymore on apocalypse which is a bummer since I like taking out hordes(20+zeds) and I have no problem with that until this multi hit feature has been turned off on apocalypse. I do like the challenge though, I mean is that the only thing different from apocalypse and survivor mode?

This is a bit of a roundabout method. If you go into Sandbox mode, when you get to the screen to select gameworld settings, at the bottom there is a dropdown with these game modes so you could select back and forth between them to see what changes they cause in the settings.

The point with it is to allow long time fans to have something with more focus on combat familiar to players of earlier builds

The developers wanted to make big changes to the "core" game without changing it so far from what it was before. 

Sandbox still exist but it is a preset for there long lasting player base? A nice thing of them to do and not just ignore them. Imagen playing builds back in 2013 and coming back to such a different game. At least it somewhat resembles what they played back then.  Otherwise they might think the game is not for them anymore.

Sandbox will show exactly what it dose. And it is not like old builds really. It is just trying to be nice :)  And a nice guide for Sandbox users to tune even future to there old Project Zomboid.  

When you use custom sandbox mode and check the "Apocalypse" and "Survival" presets, they're basically the same with a few differences. Along with some tips on how to survive Apocalypse, the differences are:

1. Multi-hit is disabled. According to what I read, it will not allow you to hit multiple zombies with most of the weapons with a few exceptions. This will make fighting groups a lot harder. Never fight more than 2 zombies with melee; 3 if you're confident.

2. On survival, zombie lore is not proper. 

• While zombie strength in Apocalypse preset is on "normal", Survival preset has the zombie strength option set to "weak".
  • Player vulnerability when hit from behind is "high" on Apocalypse, and "low" on Survivor. This makes it so that when you get hit by a zombie from behind, it has a high chance that it will become a bite. This can happen quite a lot due to the now slower turning of the character. Try to shove before turning tail and running if they are not too many. Be careful in houses, always watch your back, listen to sounds, or just get Keen Hearing trait (big vision around your character).
  • In Apocalypse mode, the "Player Drag-down" is on. It is a zombie mechanic where when there are enough zombies grabbing you (when you get slowed if the horde gets close enough), they can drag you down and feed on you, instantly killing you. Don't get surrounded and be careful when corralling hordes.

If these are the only changes, then the only difference between Apocalypse and Survival mode are how strong zombies are and how dangerous they are. I would assume that these are the only changes they made since all the other game modes are some variations of the custom sandbox settings only with custom spawn locations and other small stuff.

Some rules I set for myself to survive Apocalypse mode:

1. Discipline. Never fight more than you can handle. If possible, always fight 1 on 1.
  2. Walk. In normal Apocalypse mode, you can walk faster than a Zombie as long as you're not overweight, in pain, etc. Save your stamina when you need it the most. Don't sneak when you're not near your goal, the zombies can reach you when sneaking.
  3. Safety. When going in a building, always have at least 2 escape routes. If you go through the only door and haven't opened any other windows and multiple zombies come through the door you opened, you will have to open a window and risk getting bitten from behind. Always check windows to see if any zombies are inside buildings. Shove doors to make a bit of noise and listen if zombies react to it. You can also sneak and press the shout key to whisper and lure zombies a few tiles away.
  4. Noise. Don't let it drag you down and use to your advantage. I set alarm clocks to lure out zombies from my base walls from time to time. I also use them to lure out zombies from a building I want to loot. Sneak when you want to get somewhere with the least attention, don't step on broken glass or break windows if you don't want nearby zombies to come for you.
  5. Control. You don't have to kill all the zombies you see. Zombie behavior is predictable. Shout, corral them in a big ball, and lure them away from your goal. Once they see you, they will keep following you until they lose your line of sight. Break these lines of sight by sneak-running around buildings or tree lines. Be careful not to get dragged.
  6. Listen. Unless you're playing with the deaf trait, your headphones should be able to roughly tell which directions sounds are coming from. This applies to zombie moans, doors/windows being hit, and meta events. It should give you and idea on where to go and escape.

Archived