crashes in menu on loading screen etc

Quinten Vance

Can you attach the "console.txt" file found in "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid" to your next message?
And what do you mean exactly by "game used to work"? When exactly did it use to work? Before any new updates or before you added mods?

yeh sorry i forgot which thing to upload done now, it used to work as in i could play for more than an hour hmm maby one to  two months back, now i cant even get the game to load my character into the world without it crashing, other times it would even crash in the menu screen whilst disaberling mods i think the game was only truly stable for me before the new animations update now wont even run with all settings as low as i can get em

it both crashes with and without mods 

console.txt

10 hours ago, Quinten Vance said:

yeh sorry i forgot which thing to upload done now, it used to work as in i could play for more than an hour hmm maby one to  two months back, now i cant even get the game to load my character into the world without it crashing, other times it would even crash in the menu screen whilst disaberling mods i think the game was only truly stable for me before the new animations update now wont even run with all settings as low as i can get em

it both crashes with and without mods 

console.txt 202.88 kB · 0 downloads

It is likely because of the "HD Graphics 5500" combined with the mods and combined with anything else running in the background. The integrated cards are very unstable on Build 41 by themselves and need a lot of RAM and generally any resources they can get, if you combine that with SuperSurvivors there can be instabilities as that is a pretty big mod to take on.
I only really have 3 suggestions to prevent crashing, even if it didnt use to crash, there might have been some changes to the PC like windows updates etc.

1. Make sure your drivers are up to date from the official website

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86210/Intel-HD-Graphics-5500

2. Run the game in 32 bit mode by going to your game folder

Steam Library > Rightclick ProjectZomboid > Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files

And running the "ProjectZomboid32.bat"

3. Lower any settings in the options, lower the puddle quality, turn texture compression on

5 hours ago, Tibila said:

same here... crashing after the Indie Stone Logo at startup... the wierd thing is that i was able to play today earlier... but after a crash in game, it didn't even launch anymore

console.txt 76.28 kB · 0 downloads

I also run the game Vanilla

Same as above, integrated graphics card, can only really suggest those 3 things except you need to download the drivers from here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81496/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600

i been on there and it says  " No supported driver or software updates are available for your system." ? i will try running in 32 bit but is there any news on some real fixes in optimization from developers its a real problem when i cant even play the game let alone with the mod that made me want to get the game in the first place?

yeah all settings are already at there lowist and tex comp is on etc etc

ive already tried updateing stuff updated just about everything in control panel lol this that and theother on my laptop , tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game aswell

Edited by Quinten Vance

I have that problem to with Intel HD 5200 on my MacBook. BUT, I have two systems (MacOS Big Sur and Windows 10). On Windows I have that problem like you and 32bit version, no mod, all not working. BUT when I start on MacOS Project Zomboid working with a lot mods and max settings (Only one problem, I no have FOG, but dunno this is Mac OS or Intel HD do that).

So, that game also working on Linux. I think if you wanna play and nothing can't help you, you can try install second system on your PC and try turn game.

Im not from supporter team, but I have that problem on Windows and no have that problem on MacOS and maybe that will work with your PC on other system.

You can watch my topic "MacOS and Windows" in Bug Reports and know more.

It looks like there is still a mod being loaded at game start, I would recommend disabling loading it as well since it may mess with the game settings when the lua is being reloaded.
You can just go to "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid" and delete the "mods" folder

Will do that thanks but is there going to be any optimizations coming soon? my comp should be able to play this, n the whole reason i got the game was to play it with superb survivors enabled, even if it does work without mods, theres obviously something wrong if it cant even play with one mod enabled :S

like i just checked in workshop, i have total of four mods subbed one just with a few items, theres people playing on potatoes that hae 4 times as many mods enabled than me 

Edited by Quinten Vance

Are you loading a new game when starting? If yes then I don't think I have any other suggestions as its likely that its tied to the hardware. You can always switch to build 40 or even build 38 (without vehicles) that should work without any issues, though with an integrated card the crashes are very likely on build 41 and there isnt anything else we can suggest, since those are the bare minimum / below minimum requirements to run 41.

aiee new game start,  ganna have to but this still seems like a broken pz issue to me according to some one wwho commented here game can be run on different op system  smooth with mods enabled where as pz on windows wont work with or without mods hope theres a look into a fix for this

59 minutes ago, Quinten Vance said:

aiee new game start,  ganna have to but this still seems like a broken pz issue to me according to some one wwho commented here game can be run on different op system  smooth with mods enabled where as pz on windows wont work with or without mods hope theres a look into a fix for this

Different oses == different drivers and ways of handling resources. That stuff is out of our hands.

It’s still ultimately a hardware issue.

14 hours ago, Quinten Vance said:

with build 40 was that the last one before the big update with the animations and that? game worked fine then, but i cant see it in the betas list? unless im confusing it with 39

just 41 and iwbums 41 anu way to request build 40 ive not played pz in so long.

You have to pick the "None" beta, since build 40 is the current stable public build.

• 1 year later...
47 minutes ago, Kosmosblade said:

hi i am to having same issue as well

the picture is were i crash at

server-console.txt 2.23 kB · 0 downloads

console.txt 112.39 kB · 0 downloads

the crash.jpg

Your graphics card is way below the minimum requirements as set for the game. , I can only recommend switching to the older "Legacy" game versions by going to your Steam Library > Right click Project Zomboid > Properties > Betas > Select the Legacy 40 or older versions.