If you get bitten.

Masmassu

When I get bitten, I find it a great time to go out in glorious fashion, while also testing some game mechanics that I was previously too worried about getting myself killed with.

Lacerations (25% zombification) and scratches (7% zombification) from zombies are where the questions and doubts come in, and that's enough for me. 

11 hours ago, Masmassu said:

If you get bitten, give an reason to keep playing! Atleast give us an doubet that youre not infected and can go on. Now its just a way to kill youreself and start a new map.

I mean, I'm told that there is allegedly a very *slight* chance you *might* live.

But the point of the game is "One Bite, You're Dead" If you don't like it, you can always go into Sandbox options and turn off zombie infectivity.

Well i like that the game is brutal and no saves (exept from the killd by missclick/lag part) butt some motivation to keep going, maybe cutt the arm off and/or not be totall 100 on that you are bitten and its infected untill you finaly die.

23 hours ago, EnvyDemon said:

I mean, I'm told that there is allegedly a very *slight* chance you *might* live.

But the point of the game is "One Bite, You're Dead" If you don't like it, you can always go into Sandbox options and turn off zombie infectivity.

I have survived 3 bites and several scratches on a character with no infection. This was out of like over a hundred bites, but it is still possible.

40 minutes ago, Shagyee said:

I have survived 3 bites and several scratches on a character with no infection. This was out of like over a hundred bites, but it is still possible.

If this was on build 41 - it's a bug. The base chance is flat 100%. If you've got mods I'd assume they're interfering but if not, this shouldn't be happening.

If it's an older version you're on - bug may still be there.

To clarify:

7% infection chance from scratches.

25% infection chance from lacerations.

100% infection chance from a bite.

Edited by MadDan2013

6 hours ago, MadDan2013 said:

If this was on build 41 - it's a bug. The base chance is flat 100%. If you've got mods I'd assume they're interfering but if not, this shouldn't be happening.

If it's an older version you're on - bug may still be there.

To clarify:

7% infection chance from scratches.

25% infection chance from lacerations.

100% infection chance from a bite.

It was an old version, however I don't think this was a bug, at the time I was under the impression that the lucky trait gave you about 4% chance of surviving a bite. This was over a year ago.

Googling this will find mixed results, however those with several hundred hours have reported surviving.

Edited by Shagyee

That's already the case with the Sandbox settings. Granted, you can only really change whether or not you can get infected or are already infected, and how quickly the infection kills you.

image.thumb.png.7df9b024900f1cf1eaf97f44623403f2.png

That said, if we're able to turn transmission off entirely, I feel it's not too much to ask for an additional, more soft-core option to be made available for more casual players. It'd make the game more forgiving which is against Zomboid's intended difficulty, sure, but it still wouldn't be as forgiving as just, as said, turning it off entirely.

Edited by Fuzzy Wolfy

Yes whit an off more it will become abit to mutch easymode but good option if you gona do some endgame testing or game testing in general. But if you are able to set the risk to 50-75% or so it give you an reaon to keep strugling for survile and not just ragequit/give up dring bleech or run out naked in a horde and start an new run.

i would love a 1%-10% chance to survive a bite, 1-10% depending on your character stats and lifestyle... even 1-5% to give the player the motivation to try to overcom the infection.

you'll spend a few days fighting the infection (fever, cough, panic...) and then ... turn into a zombie for the vast majority of case or not if you're lucky (very lucky, and spend 3 days eating fresh food/ drinking water / sleeping...)  playing the agony sounds fun (to me) the 100% chance isn't realistic anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the thought about having a slight percent chance of surviving this. In single-player it's just alt+f4, bleach, etc, no reason to try to keep going. Even if it's just a dev confirmed 1% chance of survival, I'd still go with it. That way I can actually care about not getting killed by a zombie horde, instead of dreadfully awaiting a silly bite.

In most zombie lore, once you're bitten, thats it. There's no coming back, you always die in a certain amount of time. So in that regard, I'm ok with it and it helps make the game very risk/reward based which is its strength. 

The one thing I think the game should add is the option to amputate if you get bitten on certain parts of the body. Lower arms, hands, lower legs could all be amputated within a certain amount of time from the bite to avoid death. You would need the right kind of weapon equiped (axes, cleaver, larger knives) and then lots of bandages to deal with the blood loss, or the ability to create a tourniquet. And then you'd need to spend a lot of time healing yourself, sleeping, eating, cleaning the wound, redressing it, etc. You'll also permanently lose that body part and would need to compensate. Carpentry and tailoring could create better and better leg/foot prosthetics for walk/run speed , or arm prosthetics that while not necessarily allowing you to use 2H weapons anymore, could be fitted with 1H melee weapons. 

The ability to amputate and various prosthetics could come from literature (like the How To Use a Generator).

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 12:19 PM, Axiomatic said:

In most zombie lore, once you're bitten, thats it. There's no coming back, you always die in a certain amount of time. So in that regard, I'm ok with it and it helps make the game very risk/reward based which is its strength. 

The one thing I think the game should add is the option to amputate if you get bitten on certain parts of the body. Lower arms, hands, lower legs could all be amputated within a certain amount of time from the bite to avoid death. You would need the right kind of weapon equiped (axes, cleaver, larger knives) and then lots of bandages to deal with the blood loss, or the ability to create a tourniquet. And then you'd need to spend a lot of time healing yourself, sleeping, eating, cleaning the wound, redressing it, etc. You'll also permanently lose that body part and would need to compensate. Carpentry and tailoring could create better and better leg/foot prosthetics for walk/run speed , or arm prosthetics that while not necessarily allowing you to use 2H weapons anymore, could be fitted with 1H melee weapons. 

The ability to amputate and various prosthetics could come from literature (like the How To Use a Generator).

Yeah, as said, the default difficulty makes it so bites are a guaranteed game over, which is appropriate. I think the question here is, as far as custom difficulties and sandbox settings go, adding a few more options to make the gameplay more flexible. Like I'd said, you can just straight up turn transmission off and act as though you're totally immune, which is silly with how easy it makes the game, but I feel like an in-between where bites are still serious—maybe even just as lethal, unless you've got antibiotics or something handy, might be fun for more soft-core playthroughs.

Yes the history say that you turn if you get bitten but then we have the gray zone, did the bite penetrate egnuff? Díd the virus bleed out from the woond b4 it had a chanse to spred? And so on. And its still a game so we need to have a reason to even try to survive the bitem and now its not!

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Hellgatsu said:

I don't think the bites are guaranteed game over.
I was bitten on my foot by a crawling zombie and while I was very worried, I kept eating an treating my injuries at my best and I survived.

If you have mods, they might have caused a bug. If you don't then a bug still exists within the game's code if you didn't change infection settings. Any more information would be good to try and get it resolved though. You're not supposed to be able to survive bites at all.

2 hours ago, Hellgatsu said:

It is very possible it was a bug.
It happened on my personal server with other friends, where I m experiencing other issues as well,for example I can't lose weight. 

Are you an admin on that server? That can interfere with the char development. 

Back to the original suggestion of infections not being a guaranteed game over, I agree, I wish we could play with the chances of getting the infection per wound type in sandbox. I personally play with a mod called "antibodies" now because getting the infection and having to start over is kind of a chore, but I don't want to get rid of the mechanic completely. It allows the player the possibility of overcoming zombification if they nurse their character very carefully.

I think the devs should look at the code for that mod... maybe consider implementing something similar? :)

On 2/26/2021 at 7:04 AM, Hellgatsu said:

Yes, I am the admin. I am aware of the possible effects on char development, I didn't think it could interfere with the bites mechanics too.

I know this isn't really the point of the thread, but figure I'd just let you know; if you've got admin / god-mode enabled, your character can't become infected, won't lose weight, and won't become tired or exhausted.