51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like dubstep?

• I am 23 and under, and I enjoy dubstep
    • I am over 23, and I enjoy dubstep
    • I am 23 and under, and I dislike dubstep
    • I am over 23, and I dislike dubstep
    • I am 23 and under, what is "dubstep"?
    • I am over 23, what is "dubstep"?

Dubstep is one of those things where I don't know anyone personally who likes it, yet it's very popular. Then I thought: I'm an old-timer now, maybe it's just a "young person" thing? So here's a poll ;)

Btw, I chose the age of 23 because after that you're officially in your mid-20's (tophat)

Well shit that puts me a few months short of "Mash's mid-20's" D=

Personally it's more the people who like dubstep and the culture around it that makes me dislike it so fiercely. There's some electronic/trance/whatever that I don't mind and some that might even fall close to the dubstep genre, but I just try to stay away from it mostly on principle.

Genres are a weird thing. Before Skrillex and friends turned up, this was called dubstep.

Seems to now be referred to as Drum and Bass. Skrillex did what every breakout artist does to newer genres... bastardized and mainstreamed XD Not that he was the first, just the biggest. Here's another variant on the theme... this is one that I happen to like, a rare exception. There's at least one song in every genre I try to like, just to make a point of being of divers interests.

Yeah, genres are weird in how they evolve. I would also call Harraka's example D&B, which I often like :)

This is the kind of thing I think of when I think of dubstep.  This not only crawls under my skin, it burrows into my skull and lays termites in it:

Yeah, genres are weird in how they evolve. I would also call Harraka's example D&B, which I often like :)

This is the kind of thing I think of when I think of dubstep.  This not only crawls under my skin, it burrows into my skull and lays termites in it: 

Even more than being annoying, that song does something which is a cardinal sin for me in music: it's boring. I just don't feel the energy- I don't believe it.

I'm by no means a fan of dubstep, but I do find it slightly less irritating than D&B, on the basis that every D&B track I hear sounds like every other D&B track ever written, with NO exceptions EVER. Or at least in my somewhat limited experience. Then again I'm well past my mid twenties now and into my early early 30's so shouldn't really be consulted on emerging genres of music. The fact that i'm discussing it all is probably causing dubstep's popularity to nosedive into deep dark obscurity.

I'm by no means a fan of dubstep, but I do find it slightly less irritating than D&B, on the basis that every D&B track I hear sounds like every other D&B track ever written, with NO exceptions EVER. Or at least in my somewhat limited experience. Then again I'm well past my mid twenties now and into my early early 30's so shouldn't really be consulted on emerging genres of music. The fact that i'm discussing it all is probably causing dubstep's popularity to nosedive into deep dark obscurity.

I listen to and enjoy DnB. And I can confirm this to be true.

That reminds me of a study in which they found that music today IS less diverse in certain aspects, but is louder ;)http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2012/07/26/is-pop-music-evolving-or-is-it-just-getting-louder/

Offtopic: I smile every time I see that armoured guinea pig ;)

Uh louder? Heh... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cxgao2rYZw

I suppose that is somewhat correct :P

That reminds me of a study in which they found that music today IS less diverse in certain aspects, but is louder ;)http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2012/07/26/is-pop-music-evolving-or-is-it-just-getting-louder/

that's an interesting read.

but (if i may get geeky here for a minute), im not sure how accurate that study can be if they're comparing recordings from as far back as 1955. After digtal compressors and processors came about, people could compress and limit audio far more accurately, so the recordings would have louder peaks, but would still have all the range.

that said, pretty much all dance music is compressed as-loud-as-it-can-go, for club soundsystems etc. so it's certainly true to that extent.

feel the bass, reach for the lasers, whatever

:)

edit: help! i think ive fallen off my high-horse

Offtopic: I smile every time I see that armoured guinea pig ;)

I would consider investing in some suits of armour for my 2 little bubs, to prepare them for the inevitable zombie apocalypse but the helmets would be a waste of time because they never stop eating long enough.

that said, pretty much all dance music is compressed as-loud-as-it-can-go, for club soundsystems etc. so it's certainly true to that extent.

feel the bass, reach for the lasers, whatever

Let the bass cannon kick it! WUBWUBWUBWWUBWUBWBUWBUWBUWUBWUBUWBWUBWBUBWUB. My interpretation of a club disco or just any skrillex/knife party song.

Let the bass cannon kick it! WUBWUBWUBWWUBWUBWBUWBUWBUWUBWUBUWBWUBWBUBWUB. My interpretation of a club disco or just any skrillex/knife party song.

exactly.

I can't stand anything 'hardcore' personally.

but then i listen to incredibly sleepy stuff, which can be just as disagreeable to some people

A little while ago, I used to like all of that biz. Long story short, I was finally able to listen to pandora and youtube and play online games and stuff without maiming my internet, and figured I'd explore different genres and artists on pandora. I made a few different stations, and found out that most electronic music just doesn't really innovate much.

Next to all Drum and Bass I have heard follows identical rhythm and form, and usually the same sounds, too. Dubstep copies and pastes too, but modifies a little more in kind of a pissing contest sort of way. House doesn't really even try though; most seem to acknowledge and accept the near-identicality. This isn't necessarily bad though. Even though I probably presented it as such, I didn't mean to say that this is bad, I'm just having difficulty finding the right words to express it in a lovelier light. I'm sorry if I came off as abrasive to anybody.  (fedora)  

Personally, I don't listen to it.

At parties if an okay dubstep song comes out then it's fine, 

When at parties you're drunk, you really don't care