Peek Over Tall Fences

Shagyee

I noticed that the ability to jump taller fences was added. This is a really good feature and I'm glad it's finally in the game.

The first time I tried this out there was a crowd of zombies on the other side and I immediately died.

My first thought was, if I saw over the fence before I jumped, I would never have hurled myself into a crowd of zombies like that. It would be helpful if the first time you clicked "E", you pulled yourself up, enough to see over, and a second press would make you jump all the way over.

23 minutes ago, Dreacon78 said:

not a bad idea.

Maybe tie it into your strength skill.

The higher the skill the easier it is or longer you can peek.

If it is too low you would either get a short peek or no peek at all.

I was thinking something along those lines too, it's almost like a pull-up so it'd make sense being tied to your strength. Maybe if you do it too often, it exerts you too.

I love that you can climb big fences too (and depending on exhaustion level and carrying weight you can fail and fall back down too). Climbing over without knowing what's on the other side is definitely a risk, so unless I know for sure its safe, I listen for the tell tale gurgle of zombies on the other side. It would be great if it was more of a two step process. Hit key to climb once: jump up and look over, hit key again, climb over -or- hit melee key to drop back down on same side. Taking a look only would put you in view of zombies who could aggro to you. 

In reality, I think is physically difficult to grab the edge, peeking for an amount of time, I am not a sport expert,

but I think it is somehow difficult than jump over it, because when jump over it you have the momentum advantage, but holding at the edge require full body's muscle strength. 

You can try do this in real life, I bet your whole body will start shaking in a short amount of time. 

But it is an interesting idea though! 

On 1/21/2021 at 1:13 PM, HerioJohnX said:

In reality, I think is physically difficult to grab the edge, peeking for an amount of time, I am not a sport expert,

but I think it is somehow difficult than jump over it, because when jump over it you have the momentum advantage, but holding at the edge require full body's muscle strength. 

You can try do this in real life, I bet your whole body will start shaking in a short amount of time. 

But it is an interesting idea though! 

It really depends on the person. One of my friends can't pull off a single pull-up, while my bed is a loft I pull myself up onto every day. Keeping in mind that the average American is not very fit, this could be a thing you need a minimum amount of strength for.

To be fair hanging definitely would tire you out over time more than pulling yourself over in one motion. However, I think you should attempt this in real life to see what I mean, while looking for more than a couple seconds would certainly exert you to a certain point, a quick peak wouldn't take nearly as much effort.

Edited by Shagyee

10 hours ago, Shagyee said:

It really depends on the person. One of my friends can't pull off a single pull-up, while my bed is a loft I pull myself up onto every day. Keeping in mind that the average American is not very fit, this could be a thing you need a minimum amount of strength for.

To be fair hanging definitely would tire you out over time more than pulling yourself over in one motion. However, I think you should attempt this in real life to see what I mean, while looking for more than a couple seconds would certainly exert you to a certain point, a quick peak wouldn't take nearly as much effort.

And have a fulle backpack and all other loot on you when you try to climbe.

9 hours ago, Masmassu said:

And have a fulle backpack and all other loot on you when you try to climbe.

Having all that on and just climbing a fence would be pretty hard for most people not used to it.

Kinda why I think it should be tied to your strength level.

Give a base requirement and then the higher above that requirement you go, the easier it is.

22 hours ago, Shagyee said:

That's certainly true today, but in Kentucky in the early 90's, I'd bet you the average person around town would've been quite fit.

This should definitely be the case.

It should be similar to climbing down a sheet rope-- your character pauses at the top before going down, so you can cancel the movement (I suggested this a million years ago, and I'm sure others did as well).

Everything is the same as now, except there's a brief pause at the top of the fence where the player can back down by hitting a key (direction? E again?)

• 1 year later...
On 1/23/2021 at 1:35 PM, Kauffy said:

This should definitely be the case.

It should be similar to climbing down a sheet rope-- your character pauses at the top before going down, so you can cancel the movement (I suggested this a million years ago, and I'm sure others did as well).

Everything is the same as now, except there's a brief pause at the top of the fence where the player can back down by hitting a key (direction? E again?)

Exactly, this function exists for sheet ropes it shouldn't be too difficult to do with fences.