Crutches/Wheelchairs

Shagyee

It's been a few years since I last suggested or posted anything, but I've been continuing to play and keep up with the updates. The new animations have given me a few ideas, as there's a lot more you can do with them now. The main one that comes to my mind is more treatment options for fractures/broken bones.

Almost every play through I've built a cabin on I end up having to splint my leg and gimp it out the next few weeks out of town digging for worms to survive. Which is fine, it eats up a lot of time and sanity but in the end it's not too difficult to pull through if you're out of town. If you were able to prepare for this ahead of time however, it could add another risk and reward to the game, if there were crutches or even wheelchairs (if vehicles like bikes are added this wouldn't function too much differently) in medical buildings, giving a good reason besides medicine to hit those places before leaving town. This would allow you to continue travelling at a decent pace while disadvantaging you in combat. 

I was thinking a crutch would double as a weapon, being able to be equipped on your back, however when there is a broken or fractured bone in your legs you could hit the sneak button or something to use it as a normal crutch. This would leave a free hand open for a bag or weapon, and improve the speed of your limping, also allowing you to "jog" while injured.

The wheelchair would probably be sitting in the buildings and have to be ridden or pushed back to your base, be faster than crutches but make combat very difficult or next to impossible without a ranged weapon. I figure this one might be a little harder to implement though.

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I just had this idea today and wanted to suggest it, but then I realized this thread has been posted last year. I did not want to replicate it so I'm bumping it up.

I remember enjoying a playthrough of Dwarf Fortress where my adventurer lost leg and I just had to rely on using a crutch for the rest of my playthrough. Having a broken leg in PZ would add a fun urgency to find other means to stay safe.