Opening doors safety

Stefano

Hi all!

Is there a way to avoid being hit when  opening doors with zombies inside?

I usually put my character in guard before opening, but in some cases the zed still can hit me before I can attack, even if it wasn't "knocking". I initially thought that the swinging speed or the length of my weapon were a solution, but reading in the wiki I discovered that e.g. the spiked bat has the same statistics of the hammer...

So I'm a bit confused.

Not sure if you play with mouse+keyboard or controller, but if mouse+keyboard, what I do that almost always works:

Hold down right mouse button so my character is in Aim/Sneak mode and aim directly at the door. While holding the RMB, hit the key you have assigned to open doors, then LMB immediately to use your weapon while also walking away from the door. The whole time your holding  down your RMB or whatever you have assigned for Aim/Sneak mode.

There is some practice here regarding distance from the door you are when you open it, timing of the mouse clicks, and comfort with using multiple keys/mouse buttons at once.

Depending on the situation, I like to hit/push the door to make a noise and wait a little before opening it to see if any zombies inside get rowdy. Not 100% fool proof. I've mistakenly thought no reply means an empty room before, but it helps out a lot.

One way is smack the door to see if a zombie smacks back. Another thing is on PC if you tap Q it will shout. If your sneaking when you tap Q your character will go "PSSST", doing a quiet shout. Another thing you can do is, double tap e to open and close the door super fast. It will give you a peek into the room.

Archived