Bicycles as mode of transportation

Axiomatic

Any plans to include bicycles in a future build? They would be a very welcome addition to fill the transportation gap between vehicles and walking/running and would fit into the game world very easily. They have some pretty self evident pros and cons, and could utilize a similar but much reduced form of parts/maintenance that cars do (essentially just tires/tubes, brakes, and frame). You could even have 2-3 levels like cars do, from kids (slow and sturdy) to adults (average and heavy)  to professional (fast and light, but maintenance/parts).

Pros:

No fuel needed

Max speed a bit more than a characters sprint but at half the exertion/fitness.

Fairly quiet and nimble

Light enough to pick up and move

Cons:

Just as physically vulnerable to zombies as being on foot

Crashing can cause injuries

Cannot run over/damage zombies (but zombies can cause crashes)

Not as fast as cars nor storage capable.

Bike condition affecting speed and sound is a great idea and definitely in line with the reality of the situation. 

Hadn't considered mountain bikes for offroad use, but given the amount of farm and undeveloped land, definitely seems useful. Mountain bikes and their tires could handle offroad at normal levels of durability wear and speed, while a roadbike would lose durability faster and go much slower. And using mountainbikes on road would be slower and louder than road bikes.

Besides the various parts, there could even be oil/lube items that help reduce sound from a bike, and keep it faster over time.

Edited by Axiomatic

I think this is possible now due to custom vehicle support that came with the Trailer patch. Bicycles as a tile object are already in the game, so hopefully this does come one day. However, since a lot of new code and animations would need to be developed, we should definitely include both the Road Bikes and Mountain Bikes so at least it's somewhat more useful and varied. There's only really six parts of a bike that we have to consider: Handlebars, Tires, Rims, Chains, Body, and Seat. We could also have things like helmets and pads to lessen damage from crashes, Mounted horns or flashlights for utility, and bike locks that prevent them from being stolen.

Ideally, motorcycles could be added too. Street bikes, Dirt bikes, and Touring bikes could all be stronger fueled variants of the bicycles that require more parts and maintenance. Street bikes could be fast and handle like a dream, but chug through gas and can easily crash on impact with zeds. Dirt bikes would have moderate speed and good handling, but also be built solid enough to stay up after some crashes with zombies or trees. Touring bikes would be slow and steady, but would be pretty fuel efficient making them ideal for long distance travel.

49 minutes ago, TrailerParkThor said:

... and bike locks that prevent them from being stolen.

Ugh those damn zombie kleptomaniacs! Bikes could definitely be broken into many different parts, but there is a balance to strike between qty of different parts to maintain and find vs enjoyment. 3-4 parts seems best, since the vehicles already have so many and its a bit of chore/luck to keep them maintained. All the tools are already in the game you'd need to maintain the bikes which is helpful for easier implementation. I like the idea of the clothing your wearing helping with bike crash damage, esp in regards to helmets, jackets, etc.

16 minutes ago, Axiomatic said:

3-4 parts seems best, since the vehicles already have so many and its a bit of chore/luck to keep them maintained.

That is very true, maybe just have the Tires, Chain, and Gears as parts that degrade and need replacement. These seem like simple additions that could be found in lots of places. The Bike itself (Body, Handlebars, Seat) could all be repaired with Metalworking skill and Metal Rods, similar to how Car Hoods/Trunks can be repaired with Metal Sheets.

Definitely worth considering some sort of electric motor for a pedal bike, too. At least, I would keep it in mind personally. Just a little motor kit you attach and have to keep fed with batteries, maybe have repair for it attached to electrician skill. Great for long rides when you need to conserve energy, or are too out of shape to pedal for a sustained period.

• 2 months later...

I have had a bicycle since I was a student and it is extremely comfortable for me. My advice is don't forget to buy bicycle lights, which shine well in the dark, because you will need them. Personally, when I bought my bike so I could drive from university to work and from there to home, I bought strong and rechargeable lights from https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Rechargeable-Illumination-Resistant-Accessories/dp / B078TB9TMK because I knew it was something very necessary and useful. It was so convenient to ride a bike that I didn't even need a car. It is much healthier and more interested.

Edited by Virgilius