Share your safehouse!

goodfellas2

My first successful SP experience, having been testing out the game! (Build 29)

Took this screenshot just after solving my water problem. Biggest problem I've had so far has been not finding a hand-saw.

I got a bit nervous in the first days after finding this spot, I got sick and had to rest for a few to recuperate. Other than that I had a few close-call alarm situations (do those things work on batteries argh) when feverishly looking for a hand-saw before my water ran out. Luckily I read about the door-shattering mechanics :P

Now I've food and water gushing out of the cupboards! Constant rotting is an issue, need a potato cellar.

After initially cleaning out the area I haven't seen a single zombie around this part of the map. (The highway's full of them though)

jlMgmCA.jpg?1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my work-in-progress base. So far is the cheapest (nail-wise), largest and the most effective I've built. 

qO8fQM2.png

Those floors are not made from wood, just by "spill sand" over an empty tile. There are 3 pieces of wall that are not really needed (near the bed/bookcase), but I've built them before I could find the barbed wire. Right now I'm searching for more nails, I need 10-20 pieces for placing a roof on top of certain crops... and I'm very angry because I've used 9 nails for those unneeded walls :) Also I need to make longer trips to bring sand home... and is hard with only 2 bags.

Anyway if a horde hits me, they are taken out with shotgun as they walk on what I like to call "the shooting range". 

Later edit. I have NO idea where you guys find the all the nails you need to build such structures. After I raid the trail park and the warehouses I usually have under 100 nails. The bases shown in previous pictures probably costed more than 1000 nails each...

Here is my work-in-progress base. So far is the cheapest (nail-wise), largest and the most effective I've built. 

qO8fQM2.png

Those floors are not made from wood, just by "spill sand" over an empty tile. There are 3 pieces of wall that are not really needed (near the bed/bookcase), but I've built them before I could find the barbed wire. Right now I'm searching for more nails, I need 10-20 pieces for placing a roof on top of certain crops... and I'm very angry because I've used 9 nails for those unneeded walls :) Also I need to make longer trips to bring sand home... and is hard with only 2 bags.

Anyway if a horde hits me, they are taken out with shotgun as they walk on what I like to call "the shooting range". 

Later edit. I have NO idea where you guys find the all the nails you need to build such structures. After I raid the trail park and the warehouses I usually have under 100 nails. The bases shown in previous pictures probably costed more than 1000 nails each...

Cool safehouse, very nail efficient (tophat) . I got about 2500 nails (or more, not sure) from raiding only the big warehouse and McCoy Logging. Remember: after you empty it out, destroy all the crates with a sledgehammer, it will take a while buy you'll get the same amount of nails from unreachable crates. You could actually make your safehouse invincible by removing the stairs and putting up a sheet rope. This would make for a boring game though.

BTW: use the wooden dowel mod (it's somewhat outdated though and you can't build everything with it). logs --> 3 planks --> screwdriver + saw --> 9 wooden dowels.

Thank you.

See the crate near the stairs? Not the one from the ground, that one is for trash. The one upstairs. Contains a sledgehammer, 1 nail and 1 plank. If things gets hairy, I destroy the floor that links the stairs with the rest of house and make faces at z's from above. :)

Anyway, this is a sandbox with insane zombies and very rare loot. I wanted to see if I could do it. And it appears is possible, as long I don't try to bite more than I could chew. If I manage to find enough garbage bags for completing the water barrel line on the top, next goal would be 10000 zed kills (like the sniper guy in Z nation). 

Ah, if I wanted to make my own nails, is easy...

Here:

recipe make Nails    {        keep KitchenKnife/ButterKnife/HuntingKnife,        Plank=2,         Result:Nails=10,        Time:40.0,    } 

Copy that and paste in your recipes.txt file. Is in your media/scripts folder.

But that would kinda be useless, the point of the game is to survive with what you find, and make do with what you have. If you mod the game to be easy, you turn it into a construction game.

Next step would be to mod some auto-targeting defense turrets to kill the zeds for you. And an auto-looter, to stop clicking every dead body. :P

Copy that and paste in your recipes.txt file. Is in your media/scripts folder.

But that would kinda be useless, the point of the game is to survive with what you find, and make do with what you have. If you mod the game to be easy, you turn it into a construction game.

Next step would be to mod some auto-targeting defense turrets to kill the zeds for you. And an auto-looter, to stop clicking every dead body. :P

Thanks for the recipe! Yeah well, for dowels you need lvl 4 carpentry and it's labour intensive so still somewhat of a challenge. I just up the zombie count to compensate for mods (I only use food cannery and dowels).

• 3 months later...

Since Zombies regulary respawn in the world - do they also "accidently" respawn inside these fortresses?

Zombies should not spawn inside fortified houses or even close to it. However, I had once an issue with Zombies entering my enclosed yard in an unknown way. When I got up in the morning I found 3 zombies in my enclosed yard and the walls and doors weren't broken. I made a bug report for this issue. But this was only once in hundreds of playthroughs and they never spawn next to the player or inside houses.

I have a very high neat factor when it comes to my safehouses, which sucks because I usually share them with ten or more other people, who wlays make a mess.

I don't want any corpses between the walls, each container has to be for specific loot and each room is designed for a loot categroy (building materials, food, weapons, tools, first aid, farming, cooking). I refuse to let people used ripped sheets when we got bandages and if I ever seet a Dirty Rag on the floor I start insulting people.

I also think interior design is very important, which is why I always carry a sledgehammer, you think you might not be able to build a good base in that church next to the GY for example. but knock out the chairs and the crate in the back, build some counters with shelves, knockout the toilet and turn it into a storage closet. 

I also create enough beds for the amount of players we have, since I think that's how it should be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I built my base as my originial character, Danny Miller, at the warehouse on the southeast side of West Point.  He had little trouble constructing the base itself, but after a broken leg hobbled him badly he had little chance fighting off the constant zombies from the mod They're Crawling Out.  As a simple carpenter with no firearm experience, he soon succumbed to their mounting numbers outside the walls.  He lasted two months and six days (read the whole story in the thread for They're Crawling Out in the mods section).

screenshot_11-04-2015_14-05-36.png

After a few days of mourning his loss, I decided to send his daughter, Jessica Miller, on a quest to retake the warehouse, and continue his survival legacy.

screenshot_06-05-2015_14-00-39.png

As you can see, they had even broken through to the storage room.  As a former police officer, though, armed with a pistol and shotgun, Jessica took her time and methodically dispatched the occupants, including her own father's rotting corpse wandering the hallways of the warehouse (unable to bring herself to burn her fathers body, his corpse lies rotting in the mens restroom, a point of bitter self-disappointment that haunts Jessica daily.) 

After the undead hordes were cleared out, she set to work patching up the breaches in the walls, doing the best she could lashing logs together to fix the gaps.  For once she wished she'd listened to her fathers' advice on carpentry.  Until she gets better, log walls will have to do.

She's almost fully recovered from a fractured leg, and as you can see below, it's a good thing.  The dead wait for no one to be ready, and her stores of food and ammo are almost depleted as the winter prepares to set in.

screenshot_06-05-2015_13-59-58.png

After one year of survival (8 months after apocalypse settings) I had looted the whole map and decided to settle down and to spend the rest of the apocalypse with fishing, trapping, foraging and farming. So I built this (3rd) safe house for my park ranger:

attachicon.gif2015-04-16_00005.jpg

Love that base, but doesn't living so far from any hordes make the game a bit boring? I am usually torn between wanting to experiment with hardcore outdoorsman builds and at the same time loving urban playstyle with insane zombie setting. (There's nothing like living in a house in downtown WP that has hundreds of zombies roaming the streets all around it.)