Share your safehouse!

goodfellas2

I had a nice well stocked fortress in the house in the middle. It's fairly sheltered from zombies, but still close enough to a lot of good places full of goodies. I could find everything but the Master book for Carpentry in Muldraugh, so I decided to travel to try my luck Enigma Books in West Point. After a long walk I arrived in WP and was promptly greeted by a zombie who fatally bit me in the groin.

Then I Laughed and laughed and laughed..... and rage quited before I thought of making a screenshot of the fortress.

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.49495080457385815,0.2231049213650471,99.22903012752127

How does one take a pic of an entire town location.

For me i have secured from the petrol station in west point town centre all he way down to the hardware and food store south. West all the way from the red appartment bock above the shops opposite the bank and police station to the east up to the larger chemist store near to the large food store mega mart type building.

Barricaded all the downstairs doors and windows with walls around each point to add more security. All back alleys have double walls. And every upstairs window has a sheet over.

Once the problems with building platforms and walking on them is fixed then i will place towers in all corners and direct access to all flat roofs.

Isn't it hard to monitor those huge walled in areas though? I mean like if a loose zombie or 2 or 3 wander in and start hammering on one of your walls in an area that's a little removed from where you sleep or go regularly, can you even hear it?

So far the largest safe house in this vein that I've done is the combining of two houses that are near each other into one. I feel like that's as large as I'm comfortable with my ability to defend well alone.

Here is my safe house.  I am expanding it via modular enclosed additions.  The idea is that if one area falls to a horde, I will be able to retreat to other areas that are fully stocked with weapons and provisions that will allow me to destroy the horde. I have stockpiled a massive supply of items.

lAJet6F.jpg

Isn't it hard to monitor those huge walled in areas though? I mean like if a loose zombie or 2 or 3 wander in and start hammering on one of your walls in an area that's a little removed from where you sleep or go regularly, can you even hear it?

So far the largest safe house in this vein that I've done is the combining of two houses that are near each other into one. I feel like that's as large as I'm comfortable with my ability to defend well alone.

I do a perimeter scouting run every few days.  Boosts sprinting while checking my outer areas for random enemies.

Check out the Rail Yard thread.  My current fort is there, just skip to page 5 for the pics.

no more save file corruption?

Dunno.  I have not exited the game.  I have been saving, but I have left my PC up and the game running.  I have it paused when I am not playing.

The total size of my save game files is increasing, so I know it is actually saving all the stuff I am doing.  I just don't know if it will load it back.  I dread the next time the game crashes or Windows/Virus Protection Software forces a reboot.  Considering I have moved from Day 4 to Day 11, if the game reverts back to Day 4... I will be done.  That is just WAYYY to much work to have to repeat.

71rd6h.jpg

Here's my current safehouse, been thinking of knocking down all the walls and rebuilding them so I can plaster and paint them, I've got every bag of plaster, gravel, sand and concrete (no use yet?) from the 3 closest warehouses. I really think the spawn rates of fertilizer need to be upped a bit, can't get enough of that stuff!

I use the Tavern if I've collected everything I need and try to avoid zombies. It's got 3 bathrooms, a fridge, crates and bar elements, 6 beds, 1 shelf, two stories and a huge lawn.

But it's really far from town and it doesn't have a grill :(

It's good if you've collected everything you need for farming and construction though.

This has inspired me to do my absolute best at surviving more than a week which is my average and build a base. Any tips? All that ever happens for me is that I run in to huge hordes and can't loot the houses I want because of them and so I barely have any food or drink.

The number one thing to do once you find your safehouse is to clear the block around your safehouse. Either do it house by house (which is what I do) or street ny street... I think there's only about 15- 20 houses left for me to loot in Muldraugh but I'm not bothered looting anymore... easily enough food to last 1 to 1.5 years without farming. Take your time and don't try to tackle more than 2 or 3 at once. Remember that the zombies automatically prioritize themselves for killing, allow the fast zombies to meet your bat first then the shamblers and then the crawlers.

So I managed three months at Cortman Medical, my favourite spot. It's super quiet. I was looting houses quite far away and was just planting a laid down zombie with my axe as it lept forward becoming a crawler, scratched me and it infected :(.

I'm now on a month and a half at a house just to the south of Cortman. I restart each time as I don't like starting with rotten food and the advantage of the previous character's work.

Here's my safehouse. I've not started farming because if you leave the area the plants bug out and die, vanish or say they haven't been watered even when it's raining.

South end:

ExReJmC.jpg

North end:

uxTS2f8.jpg

As you can see from my super OCD way of doing things, there's no corpses on my lovely future farm land. I barricaded all lower floor windows and then built walls over those too. I have three sheet rope exits from the upper floor, each one with it's own porch and door :P. I left the back two doors (out of view) unbarricaded and built a porch and third door into the back :P.

I have loads of dried food and water so I'll start farming once I've looted the distant houses, to try and avoid the plants bugging out.

I used the house to the south as part of my wall as there's no doors/windows on that side!

I gathered so much ammo that I was able to fight my way to the two floor warehouse to the far north, which is also barricaded but not walled, and to the one west of my safehouse, which I've also fortified. Therefore I had enough nails to give myself a lot of room. I love the shotgun and pistol, when you've got 100+ bullets of each it's easy to deal with groups and those attracted to the sounds :D.

Thanks, I love this game. It's so challenging and no play through is ever the same.

This is my southern most safehouse, with plenty of dried goods, water, a water collector and building equipment. There is actually a cover over that window but it's not showing.

LFx7YuV.jpg

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.5387028157998419,0.1904170900322083,237.37631379976963

I got the place all boarded up and a farm running. I haven't put walls around the house and shed yet, but it's peaceful there and I don't have to worry about zombies messing up my crops. I'll eventually travel to WP and start securing the city. Muldraugh is harder to secure because of many open spaces.

When you pick a map at the start and it says population 4,000+, when you've killed that number of zombies, do they respawn or will the map be clear?

No.  Right now Zeds spawn so there will still be some that just appear.  However, when migration comes in... to quote to Lousiville, KY wiki

The city's total consolidated population at the 2010 census was 741,096. However, the balance total of 602,011 excludes other incorporated places and semi-autonomous towns within the county and is the population listed in most sources and national rankings. As of the 2012, the Louisville metropolitan area (MSA) had a population of 1,334,872 ranking 42nd nationally.[7] The metro area includes Louisville-Jefferson County and 12 surrounding counties, eight in Kentucky and four in Southern Indiana. The Louisville Combined Statistical Area, having a population of 1,451,564, includes the MSA, Hardin County and Larue County in Kentucky, and Scott County, Indiana.

There are a lot of potential Zed round these parts.

The number one thing to do once you find your safehouse is to clear the block around your safehouse. Either do it house by house (which is what I do) or street ny street... I think there's only about 15- 20 houses left for me to loot in Muldraugh but I'm not bothered looting anymore... easily enough food to last 1 to 1.5 years without farming. Take your time and don't try to tackle more than 2 or 3 at once. Remember that the zombies automatically prioritize themselves for killing, allow the fast zombies to meet your bat first then the shamblers and then the crawlers.

Don't zombies respawn tho?

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.5387028157998419,0.1904170900322083,237.37631379976963

I got the place all boarded up and a farm running. I haven't put walls around the house and shed yet, but it's peaceful there and I don't have to worry about zombies messing up my crops. I'll eventually travel to WP and start securing the city. Muldraugh is harder to secure because of many open spaces.

Classic spot, I've spawned there a few times actually. I find it hard to stay there though as hordes tend to migrate and block the street until they are practically on my doorstep! Makes farming a challenge  if there isn't anything blocking their line of sight to you, I bet. But like you said, you boarded up the place so I figure you have that under control.