Share your safehouse!

goodfellas2

snip

Love that base, but doesn't living so far from any hordes make the game a bit boring? I am usually torn between wanting to experiment with hardcore outdoorsman builds and at the same time loving urban playstyle with insane zombie setting. (There's nothing like living in a house in downtown WP that has hundreds of zombies roaming the streets all around it.)

Yes you are right, it is more boring. However, it is my 3rd safe house in this game. I startet in Muldraugh right in the middle of the town, looted every single place and then moved on to WP. The second safe house was above the post office/hard ware store. After I had looted all of the south of WP I built this safe house not far away from the mall. It took me 12 months to loot the mall and every single place on the map. I killed about 9.000 zombies. Unfortunately, there are not many hordes left. My goal was to figure out how far I can get in one year with the new trait system and the 8 months after apocalypse setting. So it's time to retire for me and I will most likely never find out "how I died" :D.

This is my safe house. I went to West Point, to the river, and set up a house out there. I have a fairly large building with two stories.

I also have a small cabin wherein I can safely fish without being disturbed by zombies - providing me with food from now till I the end.

XHKDw09.jpg

bNjD5Id.jpg

xnda9sK.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How do you guys add these pictures in these posts? My character has been building a safe ''house'' (Its more becoming a village at this point) and I would love to share this, but it has to be done in a proper way :)

I'm working on a fairly large survivor town that could potentially house tons of survivors in either Single Player(Npcs) or multiplayer.

- Large "Dorm" area with multiple floors.

- Helipad for potential rescue, on the roof of them. Which will then be converted to a large farm with rain collectors, once they've given up hope of rescue.

- Large "Kitchen" Area, though outside on a rooftop, as campfires are an issue inside.

- Trade district. Complete with a Doctors office, a Gun/ammo shop, A few mini stalls and a large indoor market.

- "Government" building, which is used to look after the people and such. Need ideas for the inside as its a bit big, though.

- Bar, no sense being sober in the Z-days.

- Large courtyard area on ground floor, with tons of escape ropes incase of a breach.

- Various look out posts

Here's a G.Docs overview of what I have so far.

Vs

Unedited Map (Feel free to make a copy)

Edit: oops, forgot to share them publicly

Yea,im a compound builder over a house builder also.

Large walled in compound,with multiple layers of walls,surrounding multiple buildings,with large areas set aside for specific purposes.Each building meant to be self sufficient,and escapable.

I prefer on the outskirts of town though,with easy access to a large natural water source (lake or river)

Im in the process of building something similiar Tyken. I asked for permission to see your google docs. Quite interested to see how you work things out compared to mine. If your buildings you named are already ''done'' youre a bit ahead of me. My friend and I picked the bridge as our spot to build up. It just takes so much planks to build it all up :P I think Ill just keep on screenshotting things for now and add them here once I figured out how. 

We walled off the bridge and attached our foundation on top of the wall. Zombies cant reach it with the current in game mechanics. Its a nice for RP reasons, although the whole laying decks for growth is costly. I wouldnt recommend it to people who have no patience :)

Once I figure out how to upload screenshots here (they are currently all on saved on steam, so if needed I can just work with links), or handle attachements, Ill make a story out of it. 

Im in the process of building something similiar Tyken. I asked for permission to see your google docs. Quite interested to see how you work things out compared to mine. If your buildings you named are already ''done'' youre a bit ahead of me. My friend and I picked the bridge as our spot to build up. It just takes so much planks to build it all up :P I think Ill just keep on screenshotting things for now and add them here once I figured out how. 

We walled off the bridge and attached our foundation on top of the wall. Zombies cant reach it with the current in game mechanics. Its a nice for RP reasons, although the whole laying decks for growth is costly. I wouldnt recommend it to people who have no patience :)

Once I figure out how to upload screenshots here (they are currently all on saved on steam, so if needed I can just work with links), or handle attachements, Ill make a story out of it. 

oops, forgot to actually make them publicly viewable. Not all of them are "Done" in game, as I had to start over once or twice for updates. They are designed, however.

I had some time to spend at work, so I felt like sharing my base in some kind of story. Since the character got corrupted, I dont 100% remember how I build her, so I might miss a trait or two. English isnt my main language, so excuse the typos and grammar errors. Also, Im not writing a novel, so it might be boring. For a TLDR, just click the links :P

Character: Petra Tabaca.

Server: Private MP server. Playing some PvE with a buddy.

Negative traits: Clumsy, Conspicuous, Cowardly, Feeble, Hard of Hearing, High Thirst, Overweight, Slow Reader, Thin Skinned, Weak Stomach.

Positive traits: Carpenter, Angler, Fast Healer, First Aider, Handy, Hiker, Lucky, Organised, Outdoorsman.

This is how you BSOD’d

No one really remembers how it all started, all Petra remembered was that she woke up in her home one day and the world had turned to shit. She wasnt much of a hero, quite the opposite even. Despite her hang to adventure and being outdoors, she was quite the coward when it matters. To be honest, she would be the last person anyone would expect to survive for long in an apocalypse. What she lacked in physical condition however, was made up by her self knowledge. She knew her weaknesses, but also her strengths.

She scattered the house for supplies, yet found little of use. If only she did some grocery shopping before this all went down. She stocked up on some food and water, figuring that without a proper weapon around, it would only slow her down to make due with a kitchen knife. Her plan wasnt that sophesticated. Open the door and a run to the outskirts of West Point. The only thing she had to keep in mind while proceding with this plan was to not stop running. Eventhough the general direction wouldnt have mattered much, she decided to run to the east. There would be a road at least where she might other people. Also, the river and woods might be able to provide her with resources to stay alive.

Out of breath and a decent amount of scares richer, she reached to road leading to the bridge crossing the river. With the direct danger out of the way, she decided to slow down a bit, so she could catch her breath for a bit in case the situation arised in which she needed to run again. It proved to be unneeded, as the road towards her end goal was littered with the corpses of zombies. She decided a zombie trail of bread crumps is as good as any and kept following it. It didnt take long to catch up with the person who had left this zombie trail of death in her wake. For Petra is was quite an easy choice to make. She wouldnt survive on her own out in this world. To top that off, her skills would be quite handy for someone else, since she mastered the arts of carpentry long ago. It was now or never to try and make a friendship. For the first time in her life she boldly stepped forward to introduce herself. It turned out to be a good choice.

What Petra lacked in strength, Chsjikkie made up double fold. Besides that, it seemed that both could get along perfectly, each accepting eachothers flaws, something which in the end made the dividing of tasks a simple choice.

The choice was that this natural barrier of the river, plus a choke point provided by the bridge was a perfect base to set up for the night. Little did they know it would be their permanent residence for the future. Chsjikkie already stocked up after several supply runs. As trusting as she was, she had several compagnions in the months before. The world was a harse place however, resulting in the loss of several of her friends. Because of this her supplies easily outreached her needs. The only thing she actually lacked was a peaceful place to sleep.

The first step Petra made in fortifying their position was walling off the bridge. Despite it only being a temporary solution, it at least provided one less direction to worry about. The forest nearby provided the neccesary lumber, while the dead their cloths strapped it all together. It didnt take long before the wall was finished. The wall eased their minds little.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=445019851

One side less to worry about doesnt equal no worries. Using the wall as a foundation a first floor was erected. The temporary stairs would still mean danger, so the solution came in form of a rope sheet. Chsjikkie her previous experiences turned out to be correct. Zombies dont climb ropes.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=445019905

This fact encouraged Petra to build on. Why sleep on the ground, while you can safely sit up there doing whatever you like? Chsjikkies kept going on supply runs, because Petra’s dreams quickly outgrew the supplies which would have been sufficient to simply survive. Food wasnt a problem. The river provided a steady supply of water. Fish could be caught, the forest added additional ways of finding food. Nails however, were on short supply. The late night talks by the fire fueled both the ladies with hopes and dreams to provide a save refuge for others if needed. In short it ment everything was needed.

The balcony was build first. It provided the first needs of relaxation and served as the first watchtower. It also kept them dry during the rainy seasons.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=445019966

Directly next to the balcony was the first supply storage. This ment no more moving up and down the ropes into possible danger. Once you went up the rope, you were safe. The supplies gathered would have been enough for the two of them to reach old age, but it cant feed a small village. Somehow, the would-be village needed to become self sufficient. On ground level, a real watchtower was erected. (ALL CREDITS OF THIS WATCHTOWER GO TO SLEEPYZ EARLIER THIS POST. It was my way of figuring certain carpeting tricks out. I decided to not tear it down)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=445020019

A first garden was situated directly behind the balcony. Without a roof, mother nature provided the water and sunlight for the plants to grow. Their lack of knowledge of growing a farm was painful at the start, but slowly but surely they learned from their mistakes. For now, they made due with what they had.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=445020142

Due to her clumpsy nature, Petra broke several bones in her body while constructing her –what she now refered to- masterpiece. Although it slowed down the pace of building, it never really stopped it. In fact, the month in which both Petra and Chsjikkie broke their legs, the biggest building to date was born. The current supply storage became to small for the stuff needed to make this safe harbor. The plans for a two-floor warehouse were created and later realized. During the construction of this place, she broke her leg in two more places. It was amazing.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=445711667

Disaster had to struck sooner or later. During some routine chopping wood and carrying logs over for the planned houses of both Chsjikkie as Petra herself and the kitchen/restaurant, Petras eyes suddenly went blue, as windows informed her of some shitty error. Her poor character file got corrupted, leaving Chsjikkie once again alone against the world for now.

-Edit-

As you may understand, construction has been halted for a bit. The combination of the death of poor Petra on top of a new character with low level carpeting for now slowed us down. This has all been done on a private server, yet with the game mechanics in place. We are both ferociously against cheating of any kind, so something as shitty as a BSOD simply means starting all over for us. I forgot to take some screenshots of the later work. We added a fishingshack where the little campfire is on one the screenshots. Its only reachable through a sheet rope. The restaurant/kitchen foundation (take a left turn when youre in the garden) has been layed down, together with both the houses their foundations (On top of the roof of the balcony). The garden place didnt really work out. I made a roof on top of the square, only leaving gaps where the soil was. I did not know the mechanics of the rain where, which resulted in some of the plants not getting water now. Im trying to come up with somekind of new plan. Building a garden on top of a roof works, but I had this Roman garden in mind while constructing the failed garden. Some of the screenshots arent that clear, but meh. It will have to do for now.

I have yet to test how campfire works on a wooden foundation without a roof. We learned that starting a campfire on the brigde, while having a roof above your head is risky to say the least.

Some of the ''pillars'' for the ''support'' of the structure are also missing for now. They are only there to make it look nice, so I skipped em for now :P

I wish I had more ways of decorating the place. We arent playing with mods for now, so the vanilla game is all we can work with. I can come up with 100s of little things which would be nice, but I guess this will have to do for now. Maybe in the future the Devs give us more options, like couches, fireplaces, different sorts of stands/bookcases and so on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Latest project, peninsula compound,and campfire wall test.

*campfires in the one section go out,while all the others burn on....

*zombies spawn inside the walled off areas

*burned traps still function,til you log out.

*zombie fixates on inanimate player made object,the stick trap,and ignores player

• 2 weeks later...

an update from my savehouse. it's not done yet.

WpWptBO.jpg?1

Nice! Would have quit due to boredom a long time ago :P.

Here's mine, compact and accessible: (built in build 31, gonna transfer it to 32)

WiFpIes.jpg

what the... how many axes you detroyed to gather all this wood?

if youve got enough wood to waste a lot,chop down tree,saw logs,saw planks.the resulting sticks arent good for much,how many stick traps do you need after all :P, but it will help you level fast.

On mine,the last 2 compounds on this thread from me,are on the same map.So by the time i started the second compound,i was 10 ,and probably would have been like 25 if the levels went that high :)

I'd expect to see various wall qualities, but they all seem perfect. Do you really wait Carpentry 10 to start building ? If so, wth did you do to get there ? Saw, saw, saw ? Multiple previous, ugly-looking, XP-grinding bases in which you spent time and efforts not to live in ?

i think carpenty level 3 is good enough to start and i don't think is necessary to build useless bases. i like to have far outposts, barriers, fishing bases, foraging bases and a main base. all of them are important and not just a xp-grind waste.