Crowbar / Forcing windows and doors open

Valentine

A crowbar letting you pry open a wood or metal door with appropriate strength would be pretty useful. Being able to open windows quicker would also be a nice perk. No more window powerlifting, just crank it open in one go.

This would mitigate the 'must have' value of the sledgehammer and provide a tool that's easier to use when fatigue is factored in.

• 3 weeks later...

This, exactly, exists in a mod called "Lockpicking. Just lockpicking."

It's a pair of skills to acquire-- two magazines. 1 teaches making lockpicks from paperclips, 2 teachers opening locks with a crowbar.

Burglars already have these skills.

Locks vary in difficulty, and to pick them you have to equip both a lockpick and a screwdriver, and it takes a bit of time. Crowbarring a lock is similar, but using the crowbar.

It's a well done mod.

Honestly speaking, I'm not sure why this hasn't yet been added in, since previous builds and even the current window-opening mechanic seems to imply it to be there already.

That said, this isn't meant as criticism, just that I think this would be an easy and fairly widely appreciated addition.

You could have it so:

- Homemade Lockpicks can be made out of paperclips;

Low chance to successfully open even basic doors and windows.

- Professional Lockpicks that can only be found in hardware stores, or very rarely in houses;

High chance of successfully opening basic doors and windows.

Low chance of successfully opening Security Doors.

- Crowbars /  Prybars;

Really high chance of opening basically anything below Security Doors, but much more noisily—less so than outright just breaking the window, and safer, too.

This isn't even taking into consideration a possible Lockpicking skill, as suggested in previous posts, but take it as an example of just how simple yet functional it could be.

Edit: Worth mentioning, when I say that this could be easily implemented, I mostly mean you can piggy-back off of the current semi-RNG based system, but have items give you better odds, rather than create a whole new lockpicking system from the ground up.

Edited by Fuzzy Wolfy

This is what is in that mod. They could incorporate it-- the one difference from what you describe is that there is only one kind of lockpick, which you can make from paperclips. For me, this is sufficient.

I TAKE THAT BACK!

Check out "Better Lockpicking" in the Workshop. It appears to be waaaaay more deep in lockpicking and hotwiring.

I've now used it for a few days, and it's pretty great. There's a Lockpicking skill, and picking locks uses the familiar Skyrim/Fallout(?) minigame to pick a lock. I'm not sure if it works 100%, though.

Crowbarring something open has a timing mini-game. It livens things up a bit, and will definitely keep you distracted while a zombie comes up behind you and bites your neck.

Edited by Kauffy
Better information

• 1 month later...