Food placed outdoors in winter should keep food cold.

orikamii

I tried doing this the other day, I have a popsicle fridge outside my house and placed food in it during winter (below 0) in order to keep my food fresh longer. This made sense to me but it turns out this doesn't work.

I'm suggesting a few things:

• Placing food either in containers or on the floor outdoors during the winter should keep food cold or at the very least freeze it depending on the weather.
  • We should be able to create cold storages by digging with a shovel. This wouldn't be as good as a functioning fridge, but can maybe act as a middle ground.
  • Placing food outdoors during the summer (high temperatures) would increase the spoil rate of perishable foods.
  • Food placed outdoors, not in containers have a chance to be spoiled by rain or animals (suggested by Zork)
Edited by orikamii

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, HEL City Survivor said:

Craftable "ice box"? Ie. a container built for cooling with a block of ice. Ice would need to be replenished (turns into tainted water). Ice would be acquired from frozen bodies of water or produced in powered freezing units.

Should be able to make ice in the winter also, but this goes back to the outdoor ambient temperature not having an effect on food at this time.

Pot of water in a freezer or outside when the weather is right.