Any tips on vehicle maintenance?

MysticLulluby

The screenshots below show my car conditions after a short trip to refill gas

screenshot_27-12-2020_06-46-35.thumb.png.9e993faddabc432c45ce86275b028e30.png

screenshot_27-12-2020_07-07-11.thumb.png.87834204cbd9c84592c3a09c4f7a65da.png

screenshot_27-12-2020_07-13-01.thumb.png.f55e0eb1480e83bb679d7fe63684b994.png

After only few in-game hours of driving, I found that the the vehicle part's deterioration is pretty quick. And of course I hit nothing on the way. It is only a slight degradation above but I'm afraid 1-3% condition loss after every short trip like this will make my vehicle degrade pretty fast, since I am living in a rural area and need to drive my vehicle every time I go out to take things. Obviously tires, brakes and suspensions degrade faster than other parts. Those parts have limited supplies, so I am seeking any advice so my beauty in this garage could run any longer in this harsh apocalypse world.

Currently I am trying not to hit anything on the road, not to make skids from sharp turns, no excessive braking actions, checking tire pressures all the time, whatever I can do to maintain my car longer. Though I am not sure if those things actually affect my car conditions(except hitting zombies on the road, pretty obvious). Any advise, corrections, suggestions are welcome.

And in case anyone want to say 'the less you drive, the less your car degrades', I already know that, thank you. 

My understanding of Mechanics could be out of date (i didn't play since March, so maybe some things have changed), but i didn't get real problems in driving with car's parts in the 50-75% state range, so i don't think it's really an issue.

As i never experienced shortage with the current normal vehicule settings distribution, i don't really understand how you can get "short supplies" for those. I assume you know you can dismantle vehicules to get their parts/pieces and just swap them on your favorite car (if they're of the right vehicule type; sport/heave/etc.), assuming you have the correct tools and high enough Mecanics Skill.

1 hour ago, agreubill said:

My understanding of Mechanics could be out of date (i didn't play since March, so maybe some things have changed), but i didn't get real problems in driving with car's parts in the 50-75% state range, so i don't think it's really an issue.

As i never experienced shortage with the current normal vehicule settings distribution, i don't really understand how you can get "short supplies" for those. I assume you know you can dismantle vehicules to get their parts/pieces and just swap them on your favorite car (if they're of the right vehicule type; sport/heave/etc.), assuming you have the correct tools and high enough Mecanics Skill.

Not short supplied of vehicle parts for now, but I honestly I never made a long surviving so I'm not sure how fast I would run out of vehicle parts on the world. Vehicle parts never respawn, right? And sports vehicle parts are even more rare...

What "Quality Level" (Valu, Regular, Performance) are your car's parts? Because that matters A LOT.

Performance parts degrade REAL slow, even when ramming zed, and Regular are usually good enough until you can find some Performance parts. Valu, I avoid unless I am stuck in the middle of nowhere with a busted tire and absolutely no other choice, as anything Valu/Old degrades like toilet paper in a blender.

Also, I know they're real cool, but Sport Vehicles are a rather poor choice; rarest of parts and smallest of trunks (although this last part isn't much of an issue now that trailers are a thing). If you're playing on Abundant Loot or High Vehicles, yeah, you can do Sport, but otherwise, I always recommend Heavy-Duty (An All-Terrain if you can find it, or a Stepvan if otherwise) or Standard (Anything 4-doors, unless you're lucky enough to find a Rancher, which is the best-est of Standard cars) if no good heavies around. Parts of them are extremely plentiful and their trunks are huge. Also, I usually have 2 cars; one for exploring (Rancher) and one for hauling cargo (Stepvan/All-Terrain), and that way I have an extra choice in case I have to abandon one of them for some reason, and need to pick it up later.

4 hours ago, Blake81 said:

What "Quality Level" (Valu, Regular, Performance) are your car's parts? Because that matters A LOT.

Performance parts degrade REAL slow, even when ramming zed, and Regular are usually good enough until you can find some Performance parts. Valu, I avoid unless I am stuck in the middle of nowhere with a busted tire and absolutely no other choice, as anything Valu/Old degrades like toilet paper in a blender.

Also, I know they're real cool, but Sport Vehicles are a rather poor choice; rarest of parts and smallest of trunks (although this last part isn't much of an issue now that trailers are a thing). If you're playing on Abundant Loot or High Vehicles, yeah, you can do Sport, but otherwise, I always recommend Heavy-Duty (An All-Terrain if you can find it, or a Stepvan if otherwise) or Standard (Anything 4-doors, unless you're lucky enough to find a Rancher, which is the best-est of Standard cars) if no good heavies around. Parts of them are extremely plentiful and their trunks are huge. Also, I usually have 2 cars; one for exploring (Rancher) and one for hauling cargo (Stepvan/All-Terrain), and that way I have an extra choice in case I have to abandon one of them for some reason, and need to pick it up later.

Thank you for the reply. I am using performance grade for every parts of cossette. And I also have 2 vehicles, the other one is a heavy duty to move supplies. That cossette in the garage is for the scout purpose. I know it is not the most 'survival efficient' but it looks so beautiful not to drive XD. As long as I run it for light reconnaissance, it still does its job fine, I guess. For the heavy duty honestly, I don't really concern about it's maintenance issue because, as you said, parts for heavy duties are relatively abundant. 

I knew performance parts degrade slower than others but still it's degradation speed is faster than I expected. So I am wondering if there's any factor I am missing which is accelerating my vehicle's degradation.

Archived