Dolus - 2D indie platformer about Grief

Ratgibnak

Hey everyone,

My name is Antoine, I am a dev and I am currently working on my first indie 2D game made with Unity ! 

Ld-e91KYrH3eu59lk-no9Pt08ZV6V7JMlyhqih9byFRrj009fBC8T4MHKw6THX5pcnUVXwg8rM-vn4he4aps6_U9oU0Vn3GzNc2xtRay8dxYVQJBpAjqf9s5JH_SIZe8BScsS333

Dolus is an introspective journey into the world of grief. You will have to find your way through the five stages of loss in this hand drawn adventure platformer.

WgH8gqAWaKetov87DscLKhdlwARPtkrpoczhOxtq88U_mtTAuPVBKKLXiqLEjgPgTaq_m-55IF0QDtFj5ywCIJTILJmcuKsxhVh_YL2CS561605x9vOaMugmSRz8UoZ7wjYvxhVm

Follow us in our game development journey !

Insta

Twitter

Facebook

Ratgibnak

• 3 weeks later...

Hi !

We made a lot of progress this week on all the animations from our main character. We just finished the Death animation ! We would love to have some feedback on what you think about this animation, let us know ! :)

spacer.png

Ratgibnak

• 2 weeks later...

Try again, back to life !

In Dolus, you can actually die. But until you go through all the stages of your own grief, you will come back to face it ! This is your destiny, your only way out. Going through every daemon, every emotion.

spacer.png

What do you think of the respawn animation ? I still have to fix a few light issues but it's already looking pretty good :)

Ratgibnak

• 2 weeks later...

This is how our little fellow defeated this monstruous trap that stood between him and his redemption. But beware the several others, they may be not that easy to take down !

giphy.gif

Ratgibnak

Edited by Ratgibnak
wrong line

• 2 weeks later...

Strong emotions should not be repressed. Understand them, feel them fully and make them your shield !

giphy.gif

Today we have a new ability to show you ! The player will be able to spawn an energy shield to prevent damages. What do you think of the shield's design ?

Ratgibnak

Insta

Twitter

Facebook

Now that you know how to put boundaries that protect your emotions and soul, you can use it on demand.

spacer.png

As you can see we have some particles bursting out of the shield when it's impacted by an attack. We are thinking about adding some visual effect to the creature attack to notify the player that this specific attack was blocked. Do you think it's too much ? We already have the particles showing that a block happened. Should the player's character have an animation ? 

Insta - Twitter - Facebook

Ratgibnak

Concentrated Power Attack !

This is what you will be able to cast in Dolus once you gather enough energy through time and defeating your demons.

spacer.png

How could we improve this ? Does it look good to you ?

We also made some progress on a new monster that will be part of the Denial level :

spacer.png

Creepy right ? ^^

Next step is to work on the animations to kill that monster ! You will have to hit it several times to be able to get rid of it !

Insta - Twitter - Facebook

Ratgibnak

• 2 weeks later...

The ripples of your suffering can bend the reality around you ! 

spacer.png

We added a new effect when the player takes damages ! :) I am creating this shock wave effect via a shader. It took me a bit of time but it was worth it !

We will add more shaders like this in the future.

Should I make it a bit faster or go further ?

Ratgibnak

• 2 weeks later...

Run for your Life ! Life is a precious thing. Once lost, it can have a tremendous impact on your loved ones.

spacer.png

This giant jellyfish has some bloom on the tentacles and on the electric sparks. Do you think it's a good idea to change the color of the tentacles to red when you hit it ? Also should I change the color of the sparks on some specific actions made by the jellyfish or the player ?

• 2 weeks later...

Last week we joined LaGameCup contest for French indie games !

We are very happy with the current progress we made on Dolus and all the feedbacks we got from the community. We hope to win the contest ! Wish us good luck :)

To celebrate here is not only 1 or 2 but 3 gifs (I can’t post long gifs :p) from the video presentation that we made for the competition :) 

As you can see we have added a new object in the environment 🙂  The Flames ! They will light your path ! Next week we will show you some cool stuff we made for the stars. We also have another great news but it's still a bit early to tell :p

Ratgibnak

• 2 weeks later...

Last week we revealed the composer that will work with us on Dolus !

You can check out the demo sound he made for the Denial level :

This is an early concept but we are quite happy with the overall mood of the music !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The death of Death. The reaper being reaped !

spacer.png

New animation for Dolus ! The death of this Denial monster, the Reaper.

What do you think about this ? Let us know and we'll get your comments into consideration for further improvements !

Edited by Ratgibnak