Survival based skills

IceCold

I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been suggested before, though it might've been, I don't think I looked that hard. I just don't think any of the skills are things that people would neccisarily pick up as a result of a zombie apocolypse. They're all more or less skills they'd use everyday in normal life excluding the combat section, which in this game is something I feel should be avoided where possible anyways.

Survival based skills (I know all of them could be considered "survival", but you know) are something I think would be an interesting addition, I'll make some examples.

Scavanging: Looking for items would be more in depth than clicking on a container. Maybe add a "search" option that's effected by a skill that would possibly lead to finding more inside the container, or maybe being able to search to find hidden containers and things like that. I like the idea of this because it means you'll revisit old places later to look for more when you become desperate and are running out of options for food and other resources.

Foraging: Searching for berries and other edible things in the wilderness is something that might appeal and possibly become essential to the camping outdoorsman or nomad survivor. This one would probably require the implimentation of a lot of new things in the wilderness though.

First aid: Effectiveness of bandaged wounds, maybe adding a need to redress wounds, first aid increasing how long the bandages last before needing to be redressed. The speed of bandaging and possibly other such things if wounds and other such things are ever fleshed out (hah hah).

If you have any other suggestions, or want to bash/support my idea, please be free to! I'd love to hear additional skills, reasons why they would/wouldn't work, or just why they're a bad idea in general. Sorry if there's too much in the thread, I wasn't sure if this would be considered one idea or several. Thanks for reading!

1. Scavenging: I don't like the idea that my character has to learn a skill to look in a cupboard. I don't find it realistic. Also people usually don't have secret compartments in their houses... It's just too gamey.
  2. Foraging: Same reason as the above. I don't wan't to learn a skill to basically see. What could be done here is to have a skill to know what plants, berries, shrooms are edible. But then again how would you increase this skill? By eating poisonous berries? Maybe the Park Ranger could have benefits dunno... I think it's not worth the coding work needed for it. As a mod it would be great but I don't think the devs should put their time on it. At least not in the near future.
  3. First aid: Yes. I would like doctors, nurses to have higher abilities to bandage and disinfect wounds etc. It's something that's been brought up before for example here.

It's usually a better idea to separate your ideas on different threads as many people don't like reading long posts. Did you read through this and this? Also you can use the search on the top right corner to search for older threads. Thanks!

Also welcome to the forums! (clyde)

1. Scavenging: I don't like the idea that my character has to learn a skill to look in a cupboard. I don't find it realistic. Also people usually don't have secret compartments in their houses... It's just too gamey.
  2. Foraging: Same reason as the above. I don't wan't to learn a skill to basically see. What could be done here is to have a skill to know what plants, berries, shrooms are edible. But then again how would you increase this skill? By eating poisonous berries? Maybe the Park Ranger could have benefits dunno... I think it's not worth the coding work needed for it. As a mod it would be great but I don't think the devs should put their time on it. At least not in the near future.
  3. First aid: Yes. I would like doctors, nurses to have higher abilities to bandage and disinfect wounds etc. It's something that's been brought up before for example here.

It's usually a better idea to separate your ideas on different threads as many people don't like reading long posts. Did you read through this and this? Also you can use the search on the top right corner to search for older threads. Thanks!

Also welcome to the forums! (clyde)

1. I kind of agree with you, but to be honest I always imagined looking through containers to be sort of scavengy, where instead of just finding dog food and a butter knife, I actually sifted through a bunch of other junk to find it, as I've never seen a house with nothing but dog food and a butter knife in one of the cupboards. Still, I'd have to agree that if there's nothing but dog food and a butterknife, it would be hard to miss anything else.

2. Some people do have to learn to see! Have you ever gone foraging? Some people, myself sometimes included sometimes, just can't see. I find some people missing really obvious things and other people finding really obscure ones. But I understand what you mean by this, in the Witcher when you've played the game already and know what all the plants are and you have to get the skill up to pick them again, it's kind of annoying. And I was thinking that it would require you to read a book, then you'd train the skill by looking for the plants. That would be kind of tedious I guess, but so is looting general sometimes.

3. Hah hah, "Groin: Greatly increased pain." thanks for that, I'm glad more's going to be added there.

And yeah, I did read those, that's why I mentioned at the bottom that I was unsure. Sorry about that. And I did run a basic search on the skills, but you can't really search for "first aid" so sorry if there was something there already.

Thanks! =>

I think the wilderness training thing could be turned into a pretty solid idea. If you had a wide range of edibles in te wild, the more you are of them, te more you would know about them.

For example, if you ate a purple berry and it made you sick, the next time you pick one it would say "poisonous" when you pick it. Conversely, if you ate a good one te next time it would say how much hunger, thirst, etc. it woul give you.

In this way you'd never know what things were until you ate them. Park Rangers could start with this knowledge, making them a great class for wilderness survival.

Lots of handbooks out there that tell you which plants are edible and which aren't, so those could maybe be consulted to let you know what plants are edible and what aren't.

Also, maybe the higher level your skill is, the more you get each time you harvest a plant? Signifies that you know more about what parts of the plant are edible or not, so you get a little bit more edible material each time. Foraging plants would be a great way to supplement food reserves.

Also, I wanna see dandelions! They're some of the most plentiful "weed" plants in existence and the entire thing is edible.

They have a lot of different nutrients in small amounts, so you can use them as a base in a whole lot of different salads. The main problem is that they don't offer a lot of calories or fat content, so you're not getting much in the way of working man energy out of eating them. Hold on... Lemme pull up a nutrition analysis on them...

• Nutrition Facts
    Dandelion greens, boiledDandelion greens, rawDandelion greens, raw

Amount Per 1 cup, chopped (55 g)100 grams1 cup, chopped (55 g)

Calories 25
  • % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.4 g 0% Saturated fat 0.1 g 0% Polyunsaturated fat 0.2 g   Monounsaturated fat 0 g   Cholesterol 0 mg 0% Sodium 42 mg 1% Potassium 218 mg 6% Total Carbohydrate 5 g 1% Dietary fiber 1.9 g 7% Sugar 0.4 g   Protein 1.5 g 3% Vitamin A 111% Vitamin C 32% Calcium 10% Iron 9% Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 5% Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 5% *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

So yeah. Great way to help stave off malnutrition, but you'll still die if they're the only thing you eat.

1. I kind of agree with you, but to be honest I always imagined looking through containers to be sort of scavengy, where instead of just finding dog food and a butter knife, I actually sifted through a bunch of other junk to find it, as I've never seen a house with nothing but dog food and a butter knife in one of the cupboards. Still, I'd have to agree that if there's nothing but dog food and a butterknife, it would be hard to miss anything else.

2. Some people do have to learn to see! Have you ever gone foraging? Some people, myself sometimes included sometimes, just can't see. I find some people missing really obvious things and other people finding really obscure ones. But I understand what you mean by this, in the Witcher when you've played the game already and know what all the plants are and you have to get the skill up to pick them again, it's kind of annoying. And I was thinking that it would require you to read a book, then you'd train the skill by looking for the plants. That would be kind of tedious I guess, but so is looting general sometimes.

3. Hah hah, "Groin: Greatly increased pain." thanks for that, I'm glad more's going to be added there.

And yeah, I did read those, that's why I mentioned at the bottom that I was unsure. Sorry about that. And I did run a basic search on the skills, but you can't really search for "first aid" so sorry if there was something there already.

Thanks! =>

2. I do agree with you now after reading this and Rath's idea. I've been gathering mushrooms and berries from the wild since I was like 4 years old so it comes to me as sort of a given that you spot them everywhere. But it could be done so that the color of the berries could be the same always with poisonous berries and shrooms so that you don't have to try it every play through. Also if they're gonna introduce the 'hobbies' traits you could have a forager with bonus on well foraging.

I wanna add a new item to the list of edible wild plants... Cat Tails! Harvesting them can give you four items, depending on the time of year:

Cat Tail Leaf Shoots: Can be processed (splitting them open) to give you Cat Tail Hearts and Cat Tail Plant Matter. You can eat the heart raw or boil it in a soup and you can use the plant matter as composting material or fuel for a campfire.

Cat Tail Roots: Very starchy. Processing them (in water with some kind of crushing implement) will give you Cat Tail Flour and more Cat Tail Plant Matter. Cat Tail Flour is an excellent replacement for regular flour and is pretty high in protein. Use it in soup or as a way to make bread. For game purposes, the plant matter produced from the roots is identical to the plant matter produced from the leaf shoots and can be burned or composted.

Cat Tail Pollen: Can be used as a flour supplement. Combine it with your flour supplies to extend them out a little longer.

Cat Tail Seeds: Can be added to the diet of most livestock like chickens or goats as a way to help supplement the food stocks being used to feed your animals.

I'll probably keep coming back and adding new foragable items to the list. You think maybe I should branch this off and start a new thread about it?

Apparently the roots have too much plant fiber in them to eat them raw, giving you a stomach ache if you try. The way to get the edible starch out is to crush it in water and then drain the water away so you can collect the starch residue that fell to the bottom of the container. Dry out the residue and you have yourself some Cat Tail flour, suitable for baking.

I'm mostly getting all of this information from survival guides. Never tried any of it myself.