An Examine Option

Ergenta

This used to be a thing in the old old days where hovering over an object would show, say, 5/5 for doors. I don't think I'd mind it coming back in some less game-y way. Something like "Integrity: Full; Damaged; Low." would be good as an emulation of a person looking at that object and seeing it looking weak or something. I don't know why it was removed initially though, maybe it went against the game, I know it would feel a bit odd hovering over objects now to see health, but an 'Examine' option could be decent.

If not, well then it's part of the fun of guessing how long you have until they break in. If so, then I think the "Full; Damaged; Low" would be better rather than "5/5" or "1%" as it'd be too accurate.

Edited by MadDan2013

7 hours ago, MadDan2013 said:

This used to be a thing in the old old days where hovering over an object would show, say, 5/5 for doors. I don't think I'd mind it coming back in some less game-y way. Something like "Integrity: Full; Damaged; Low." would be good as an emulation of a person looking at that object and seeing it looking weak or something. I don't know why it was removed initially though, maybe it went against the game, I know it would feel a bit odd hovering over objects now to see health, but an 'Examine' option could be decent.

If not, well then it's part of the fun of guessing how long you have until they break in. If so, then I think the "Full; Damaged; Low" would be better rather than "5/5" or "1%" as it'd be too accurate.

I like your idea. What if when you did 'examine,' it showed in text a description of what state the item appears to be in. "The door appears to have no damage." or "The door has large gaping holes." 

Honestly even using a percentage a person in real life with no experience can easily make a judgement call on how damaged a door is.

Base it on carpentry and the higher your level the more accurate it is. For the first few levels can be simple call. Higher the level you know if you can repair it or not.

I would love to be able to repair them. Say one board per level. Zero exp means it takes 10 boards and 20 nails since you have no clue and waste material. 10th level one board and two nails as you know exactly how to repair something.

Honestly, I would just prefer it if doors and windows cracked as they were damaged. I feel like I remember something a long time ago about that not being possible, but if that has changed in Build 41, changing textures would be the best way to add that functionality. Examining would be useful during base maintenance, but most situations you need more immediate easy access to entryway hp. I do think expanding the Inspect option would be good. Maybe Inspecting the doors would allow you to see where the damage was and you could get planks, hinges, or a new knob as necessary. High enough carpentry and metalworking could even allow you to reinforce doors at full HP. This is one of those features I expect to see before full release, as its an obvious addition that shouldn't be too hard based on my knowledge of the game code.