Comment: Fanny in British English has a very different meaning than in the US....

Darkmark8910

American English and British English diverge on the meaning of the word fanny. In the US, it refers to bottom, like a fanny pack. In the UK, it's a vulgar word that refers to female anatomy. Fanny pack - Wikipedia Urban Dictionary: Fanny Fraser’s Phrases: Five Mild American Words The British Find Rude | Anglophenia | BBC America

If ya ever set up a separate UK English version of the game, you may want to consider renaming the fanny pack to, say, a bum bag for them! Which is their inoffensive term for a fanny pack. In British English, fanny pack has a very different meaning.... 

Or to see a Brit reacting to finding a fanny pack in-game in real time: 

Edited by Darkmark8910

Yeah a good few of us are British including 3/4 of the directors, so we were aware of this :D it's set in the US so US colloquialisms rule and it is just extra funny to be called a fanny pack anyway, it seems a rather tame thing in a brutal dark zombie apocalypse to worry about tbh. We've resisted renaming pop to soda still I guess though we'll get to it!

4 hours ago, lemmy101 said:

Yeah a good few of us are British including 3/4 of the directors, so we were aware of this :D it's set in the US so US colloquialisms rule and it is just extra funny to be called a fanny pack anyway, it seems a rather tame thing in a brutal dark zombie apocalypse to worry about tbh. We've resisted renaming pop to soda still I guess though we'll get to it!

I've never heard anyone call soda "pop" in the US.

Edit: I misread what Lemmy said but I can't delete because I'm a moron :( 

Edited by EnvyDemon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/1/2020 at 10:10 AM, EnvyDemon said:

I've never heard anyone call soda "pop" in the US. geometry dash

Edit: I misread what Lemmy said but I can't delete because I'm a moron :( 

In some places they call it pop, in others soda, and in still other places they just call it Coke.

Edited by dansonpas

The only one that repeatedly jumps out at me is "hand torch" in place of "flashlight."  The former will very much out you as a non-local in the US.  :)

I mean, if you're going to call your flashlight a hand torch you might as well go all the way and start calling your boots "Wellies."  :D

Relevant quote provided free of charge: 

Prince or pauper, when a man soils a Wellington he puts his foot in it.

Arthur Wellesey, Duke of Wellington

Edit: Added sweet Blackadder quote. 

Edited by Bullet_Magnate

• 6 months later...