[41.47] Separate "stomp" key from "push"

3lackrose

In a few too many occasions where i'm trying to stomp zombies if they are too close to each other, one is getting up or is getting close while i'm trying to finish off the one(s)  on the ground, my character happens to perform the "push" action which wastes precious time and as a result it could lead to the rest of zombies being able to recover and get up and worsen the situation.

This happens especially when there are 2 or more zombies close to each other, some on ground some not. It happens because the action is sort of context based and detects if a zombie is nearby or on the ground before deciding to stomp of push, i couldn't think of anything else for the moment to address this so my suggestion would be to separate these keys so the player can decide themselves if they prefer to keep stomping or push.

**I forgot to add i've been playing in the 41.47 patch and so i'm modifying the title accordingly to reflect that as well.

Edited by 3lackrose
Adding more details / context

• 9 months later...
On 11/28/2020 at 3:34 PM, 3lackrose said:

In a few too many occasions where i'm trying to stomp zombies if they are too close to each other, one is getting up or is getting close while i'm trying to finish off the one(s)  on the ground, my character happens to perform the "push" action which wastes precious time and as a result it could lead to the rest of zombies being able to recover and get up and worsen the situation.

This happens especially when there are 2 or more zombies close to each other, some on ground some not. It happens because the action is sort of context based and detects if a zombie is nearby or on the ground before deciding to stomp of push, i couldn't think of anything else for the moment to address this so my suggestion would be to separate these keys so the player can decide themselves if they prefer to keep stomping or push.

**I forgot to add i've been playing in the 41.47 patch and so i'm modifying the title accordingly to reflect that as well.

17 hours ago, dormoxx said:

Made an account to post about this.

What? No really both of you look to either just not know what already exist in the builds. OR your just asking for more options even now it is almost pointless?

I do not remember 41.47 patch very well. And really pointless to go back and check updates to check wherever this was added after patch 41.47. Either way. 

Current IWBUMS patch. (41.53) I know for sure without looking it up has options ripe for the taking! (just check your rear for ninja Z's sneaking up)

It is really not "separate keys" but rather manual intervention to stomp Z's rather then pushing. And pushing is really just the basic no weapon "attack". So really pushing = attacking. But never the less, to get what you want.

Step_1:   Go into "KEY BINDINGS" in the settings and look for a key labeled "Manual Floor Attack".

Step_2:   Untick the box "Auto Detect Prone or Standing attacks"  (makes sense yes?)

Step_3:   When you want to STOMP the ground you have to hold the "Manual Floor Attack" button down and then when you "attack" you stomp instead.

This means that you are in control of what action is going to be applied. You are never going to stomp without pressing "Manual Floor Attack" down before attacking. But your NEVER going to push instead of stomping either FOR ANY REASON if your holding "Manual Floor Attack" down. So no way to blame the game if your get bitten. This means that you are in control of what action is going to be applied.

It might sound more complicated then just having 2 separate buttons. I mean needing to multi key to STOMP Z's sounds cumbersome. But I think it works really well never the less. Feels good. Take it or mod it (clyde)

If you want there is also a option in "DISPLAY" settings that give you a green outline of what Z your currently going to be hitting too. "Aim Outline" = AnyWeapon.

But really I personally find the game to handle combat prioritizing more or less perfectly. But I jumped onto the possibility to manually decide if I should stomp or attack. Not played a minute without it ever since I knew about it being a option in game.

Suggestion should be to add a dedicated stomp button. But you more or less got it already in the builds. 

But to make it noob proof (part of the tutorial and something every new player grow used to) is quite a good suggestion in general.

Add a dedicated KICK button.

Even now the auto selecting and prioritizing really is close to flawless. It is good to make players try and play the game with as much control as possible. Leaving current defaults to controllers and accessibility options. It dose a much better job then Minecraft Auto Jump detection that's for sure.  :_c  

Dormoxx

Have a pillow!

:Evil laughter

Edited by Turbo50
English is stupid, Suggestion Improvement.

Ummm guys a recent thing that was added was a button that forces your character to stomp, shoot and mele attack zombies on the ground, well as long as you aim at them (depens on what you have equiped) ALT is default for me and it's extremly useful, you can push down 2 zombies and when the 3rd zombie is coming close you can press ALT + LMB to kill one of the zombies on the ground and then quicky take down that 3rd zombie that would have otherwise made you do the showing animation, instead of stomping those zombies on the ground.

Somehow I missed the "Auto-detect Prone or Standing attack" checkbox when I was looking through the keybinding menu the other day.  Thanks for pointing it out. Hopefully it'll lessen the issues I was having in combat.

On 9/14/2021 at 2:47 PM, Turbo50 said:

Dormoxx

Have a pillow!

:Evil laughter

I've only been playing this game for a week so I have no idea what you mean lmao

Edited by dormoxx

57 minutes ago, dormoxx said:

Somehow I missed the "Auto-detect Prone or Standing attack" checkbox when I was looking through the keybinding menu the other .  Thanks for pointing it out. Hopefully it'll lessen the issues I was having in combat.

I've only been playing this game for a week so I have no what you mean lmao

Ah, welcome.

Here's the pillow context:

Back before the game was on Steam, it was on Desura and Google checkout as a tech demo. The tutorial/story was Kate and Bob - and an option was added that if you find the pillow in the wardrobe, you can smother Kate (your wife) to skip the tutorial. That's where the pillow comes from. It tends to be used to disagree with someone, I guess since we added an option of a key to force stomp, so I'm not sure separate keybindings are necessary with that modifier? :D

Also, no idea on how up to date you are with news and such, but we plan on adding it back (Kate and Bob) as we start adding NPCs in again. I don't see why the pillow won't make the cut again, now with nice animations to go with it as we're technically able to, as well.

On 9/17/2021 at 6:08 PM, dormoxx said:

Somehow I missed the "Auto-detect Prone or Standing attack" checkbox when I was looking through the keybinding menu the other day.  Thanks for pointing it out. Hopefully it'll lessen the issues I was having in combat.

Yea... I did not know about it for months. Really a hidden in options thing. So no wounder it shows up in suggestions. Even me reading the patches missed it I think? But agen I never looked back ones I knew about it!

But a dedicated button/ tutorial and better defaults should be added. :) But I like the current system but it is quite obvius people miss it.

To skip the 'noob' tutorial you used the pillow. But new players tried to be nice and confort the wife with the pillow and killed here and it is hillarius! It makes little sense to think the player was not warned about it and ruined there tutorial! PZ is kinda like that where it just sometimes do not show itself in the best light possible for a new player. And everyone but the first devs start out as a noob. New user. But the pillow is now a legend! It was PZ start to fame!

No ide why the pillow exist here on the forum. But anyone that know the pillow know how deadly it is! And noob unsafe!

:Evil

Edited by Turbo50