Driving - better Camera Focus

BentNose

When a vehicle is in motion, the driving is often looking far ahead of themselves when driving at high speed. There should be a way to simulate this within Project Zomboid, yet there isn't, and accidents are painfully easy to create because every driving player is near-sighted, almost entirely by accident of design. I don't see why it has to be this way, but things I can't see are the whole problem here.

So right now in game, you can shift the camera around when your character is walking around by holding the right mouse button, so there is a mechanic in game for shifting camera focus.

Would it be possible to apply an automatic forward focus when driving? When getting to high speeds push the camera in the direction of travel to give the player a better chance to see what's coming up. When stopping or turning, create a delay to avoid throwing the camera around at the moment the player is acting to a new stimulus. Turning or braking, the character is coming to a slow anyways, have the game gradually return to a central focus until they get moving again. A player *has* to brake at most turns and the angled roads are highly uncommon and always short, so there is no need to whip the camera around.

This would be a huge quality of life update and make players much less afraid of driving fast.

Something like this would be nice. In the meantime, I would recommend to anyone who hasn't to enable the Zoom levels for 225% and 250% in the display settings. That and zooming out all the way will give you a little bit more time to react to things in the distance since you can see a bit farther.

Camera shifting forward would perhaps work well, at least on paper: starts at the center of screen, and as the vehicle accelerates the camera shifts gradually forward. And returns back when slowing down. Or if you hold right click you could pan the camera like you normally do when on foot, maybe this one is not the best option when driving though.

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about this very suggestion when driving around in PZ. I think it was handled pretty well in the first and second GTA game, where the camera would just zoom out as the car accelerated, revealing more surroundings, but in lower detail. What do you think about it, devs? Would you make driving easier for us? :)

Edited by Aelipse