Trip & Fall opportunities

Moloch Horridus

I feel like the roleplaying aspect on PZ would benefit from adding more ways for agility based skills to manifest in gameplay. You can already fall in various situations, but not in some that would be very probable in real life.

How this could be done is to make movement through various special terrains more hazardous and demanding. First that comes to mind is of course the piles of zombies you've killed, isn't it kind of obvious you'd have harder time stepping on corpses. Add a bit of a RNG and pair it with player stats to create more dynamic, challenging and realistic gameplay.

The more speedily you move, more exhausted you are and less skill points in nimble you have, more likely you are to trip and fall on obstacles on the ground.

Adding a some sort of ease of traversal status for terrain types and then layering optional negative or positive modifiers to it would make everyday life just a little bit more interesting. Instead of running through rotting corpses of slain undead you'd need to slow down a bit - unless you're nimble sprinter. If you're clumsy enough you might trip on a sidewalk when backing onto it for example. My point is not to make all movements more hazardous, most of the time you would be fine and be able to play just like you can today, but sometimes you'd had move more carefully.

This could be part of the erosion system also. Longer the undergrowth more chances you have to trip on something or just get tangeld up in the weeds. You'd need to think before you take risks, I think thats what the Project Zomboid is after. Falling down would have a probability of injuries, that promotes of using and upgrading your first aid skills.

Proper shambling zombies are clumsy and dull minded creatures, so they'd suffer the consequenses too. All and all I feel like this could be a well balanced add on that also contributes to skill usage.

Me like. It could get quite annoying if it's done too much, but I think it definately has a place in moderation (I think tripping on a sidewalk is going to far for example). I especially like how tiredness, fatigue, panic etc. could factor into it.

Perhaps a way for it to not get too annoying would be for tripping to only happen if you're moving faster than a walk (including the sprint walking that happens when you're fatigued)????

Upon seeing first videos I had a feeling you;d trip more often than it currently is, and while I would be annoyed to have my character tripping all the time, it make sense especially tied with erosion. Currently, sans a little troubled car movement erosion is mostly esthetical and late game is often simpler anyway (less and slower zombies + already established base), so it'd be a nice change!

I've previously thought of something like this but with zombie sprinters, it seems like the only time they fall is when climbing through windows, it would be nice to see them interact with the map a lot more, for instance they would hit some objects or a wall when trying to take a sharp turn because of their momentum.

17 hours ago, WildCnt said:

I've previously thought of something like this but with zombie sprinters, it seems like the only time they fall is when climbing through windows, it would be nice to see them interact with the map a lot more, for instance they would hit some objects or a wall when trying to take a sharp turn because of their momentum.

I've definitely seen them fall when attempting to stop or turn, but yeah, they should fall down more often.