Living on a raft. Zombies can't swim

Grelko

I don't know if any of you ever tried building something like this before, but the zombies can't go through water.

Just like in my other post (crossing the East river), I built floorboards going from the second story of a building over the water. I made a window with a sheet rope, climbed down to the water.  Built some floorboards and a staircase that connected to the side of the window.  Walked over to the building and destroyed all the hovering floorboards on my way back to the raft.

You can get stuck in the water. It will let you walk around on the one tile, but if you can't climb out, or build your way back to the shore, your character will eventually starve.

pz1.jpg

I did think of it but decided against it. Since you can make a flying base anyway I found it to be better. If I fall on land there is a change nothing will happen or I will brake my leg, or even if I die I can start a new character and loot my old one. But if you build over water you can say good bye to all thouse things.

On 11/26/2020 at 7:20 PM, Josko said:

Amazing! I actually never thought of this lol.

It would be perfect place to speed up time, like when you want to loose weight. just have a ton of food, water and a bed there to sleep!

You can build a complete house "raft" also seeing that is is on ground level, including having an indoor section. Just build it as you would a regular house. Use a generator, etc. Grab an antique stove to cook and purify water, go fishing, put down some dirt on the floorboards and grow your own crops, etc..   You wouldn't be able to forage there, or have traps work, unless you left the area. Actually, if I remember correctly, bird traps will work if they are on the roof and you are down below.

Just make sure that you have some extra planks laying around, incase you ever want to go back to shore. Or keep the staircase on the raft with a path and window, then you could use a sheet rope to come and go.

16 hours ago, LegionDiablo said:

I did think of it but decided against it. Since you can make a flying base anyway I found it to be better. If I fall on land there is a change nothing will happen or I will brake my leg, or even if I die I can start a new character and loot my old one. But if you build over water you can say good bye to all thouse things.

The raft I made is on ground level. You only need to be careful that you don't fall while building the path over to it.

I do enjoy making the floating houses very much, especially up as far as it will let me build them. Sometimes I build long paths and drop down from windows onto the roof of buildings.

A few years ago in multiplayer, I made a huge maze. The higher you go, the floor is 1 spot to the side of the floor below it. I had everything lined up so that when you reach a higher floor, it looked like there were multiple staircases and paths leading all over the area and if you didn't know the correct path, or brought a sledgehammer with you to check for open spots, you could fall very easily, especially if there was snow. Nobody ever reached the top where my person lived. There were many bodies lying around the base.

(Another time in multiplayer. For this 1, the only thing on the ground, was the beginning staircase.)  It was an area in the middle of nowhere in the forest that had a staircase going up 2 floors, along a path to a window, down a floor, long maze path, up 2 floors, over farther, down a floor and across the roof of a small 5x5 floating house that I used for wood and paper storage, to multiple windows (climb through the correct one or fall), that took you into a small maze building with pitfall traps around corners and fake doors with zombies trapped behind them until the door opened or they broke through, since they couldn't open doors in that multiplayer Then finally up a sheet rope to a room on the highest floor you could go to.

If someone ever made it that far, I still had a fake base setup with a lot of random junk in crates and a false wall behind a bookshelf that you had to destroy, to enter another maze with many dead-ends. Finally, 1 of those dead-ends was yet another false wall you had to destroy to reach my actual base. Which included multiple generators hiding around the outside of the building that you had to walk along 1 tile wide ledges to get to, which were also behind a few windows that you had to climb out the correct one, or you would fall to your doom and close to 400 cans of gasoline hiding behind false walls.

Or, you could just use a sheet rope to come and go from my actual base. It was fun to build haha  >:)

The funny thing is... even with the hidden walls in this newer version, I can still make it.

I never kept much of anything, but I was able to grab a couple pictures and a small story from the 1 discord site I was on a few years back. I'm always making something out of the ordinary, so I guess I could start to keep some of it to show other people finally.

I have a couple ideas for bases that I will be working on soon though. I'm not on Twitch or anything yet, but I keep thinking about streaming something on the Indiestone discord one of these days.

Here's a story I made back then. I was talking in discord about zombies never coming to my base, then a helicopter and a second one showed up a few minutes later.

Just then, a small problem arose... Actually 6 of them (serious) I climbed up to my roof to see what the noise was. It was starting to get dark outside, but at the edge of my property, I saw faces, faces of people that I've seen throughout town, except they looked somehow... different. I stood alone on my rooftop wielding an old shovel, that I had found a few weeks prior, waiting for the inevitable. During that time, it began to rain (serious lol), the sounds of their moans and growls, like some bastardized version of a wild dog and the creaking of the rusted door on my old Masterson Horizon combined together, it was horrible. Then I heard the banging on the logs I had placed around my property as a barricade to ward off animals, because they always seem to get into my crops.  Through the night I waited, my clothing slowly becoming soaked from the rain that fell for, which seemed like hours on end. The sound of the banging against those logs, it was like war drums of some unholy army sent to take over the world...  I finally regained my composure as the sun crept over the hillside once again. I thought to myself, this shovel is so rusty, it would probably break as soon as it hit anything harder than dirt, so I pulled out my brand new stainless steel kitchen knife. (I was in the middle of making a late dinner when I started hearing noises outside). Now, on the roof I had made a small window, so that I was able to watch the sunset as I sat up there, sometimes while grilling a rabbit or squirrel, maybe a fish now and again. I attached a few old pieces of cloth that was lying around and made my way over the wall.....

First picture was a floating base I had before I set it on fire (along with most of Muldraugh lol), when they were resetting the world. Second is just showing a big kill number that I had on multiplayer.

project zomboid1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

6 hours ago, LegionDiablo said:

If you have any videos oh showing some of your bases I would like to see them. I like to make large bases and complicated bases but I did only play solo or coop so there was never needed to make mazes or dead ends like that.

I threw together a quick smaller maze, just to show what it would look like. I should have chopped down the 2 trees on the far left.  If I took my time to do it properly, it's very hard to tell which floor is the real one, especially if I had walls and a full base floor built, since the lighting would be different. You can see in the last picture, if I put a couple more floorboards going to the staircase on the right side (which is actually 1 floor down), it would look as if you could walk up them. Maybe you can walk down the stairs on the left? you never know:)

The first guy went splat while I was walking around getting ready to take a couple screenshots....

Edit - If you don't add the walls, the maze is "outside" and snow will cover the walkway, making it invisible since it will match up with the snow on the ground.  At night, it's a pain to walk around on it if you don't have a light.  If you place floorboards underneath the stairs, the long legs won't be there.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I can see how that can be confusing for the people who rush it :) 

Most people can't get around my bases as well but not becouse I don't want them to. More like they only make sense to me :D

And what map are you playing on? I don't think I remember seeing that house anywhere on the map

Regular sandbox map, 41.46 no mods. I always play vanilla, but I've been thinking about looking for a mod to make bows and arrows (not crossbows). I don't know why there aren't any in the main game yet, seeing that we can throw molotovs.

It's the big mansion people were talking about in another thread. Location is approximately 10630 x 9210

https://map.projectzomboid.com

19 hours ago, Grelko said:

Regular sandbox map, 41.46 no mods. I always play vanilla, but I've been thinking about looking for a mod to make bows and arrows (not crossbows). I don't know why there aren't any in the main game yet, seeing that we can throw molotovs.

It's the big mansion people were talking about in another thread. Location is approximately 10630 x 9210

https://map.projectzomboid.com

I must blind. I can't find it on the map and I don't see another thread about it :D

On 11/28/2020 at 9:38 PM, Grelko said:

I have a couple ideas for bases that I will be working on soon though.

3 hours ago, Xonic said:

How about this?

That looks awesome. Someone must have spent a good while building it (or is that just blueprints?).  A large ship/yacht, was actually 1 of the ideas I was thinking about earlier in this thread haha. Mine probably wouldn't be quite as intricate as that, unless I worked on it for at least few weeks.  I never used any of the Mods before, so I know I'm missing out on tons of different items.  I actually made this and the other thread, just to let people know that they can build on or over water, incase they didn't know.

Another (easier idea) was going to be a huge upside down pyramid or hourglass.

Building a greenhouse would be nice. I'd need full size windows, but I forgot if we have glass roofs and skylights, or if plants will grow indoors, but there's probably a Mod for that too.

Sometimes I just make a simple floating base over water, with 4 window frames in the center of the room that has the floor missing, so that you can climb down the sheets into the water and fish.

It would be fun to completely cover the map with floorboards a couple levels up, but it'd take too long and probably not have enough trees.

I really just want to be able to go mining, add a basement to some of the houses and climb the ladder on the side of a building, like the one at 11903 x 9810.

Archived