Single player lags. Resources?

Sebzone

Question

Hello! why my game (i have a very powerful PC) when i play for 30-60 minutes or move across a lot of places, it starts to get a constant lag every 1 second, little pauses. If i don't move a lot and only play around my house and the nearest city, it doesn't happens. anyone have the same problem? if i restart the game, runs perfect.

Thanks a lot.

12 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Sebzone said:

Hello! why my game (i have a very powerful PC) when i play for 30-60 minutes or move across a lot of places, it starts to get a constant lag every 1 second, little pauses. If i don't move a lot and only play around my house and the nearest city, it doesn't happens. anyone have the same problem? if i restart the game, runs perfect.

Thanks a lot.

I'll ask the obvious question so that someone useful (not me) can more speedily help you: are you using any mods? Which ones?

You're not alone as this happens to me and hundreds of others since 2017, according to reddit. The only fix I've found is restart the entire client after you travel long distances. I'm guessing it has something to do with how the game handles garbage. I haven't seen any dev acknowledge this issue. 

1 hour ago, Ergenta said:

You're not alone as this happens to me and hundreds of others since 2017, according to reddit. The only fix I've found is restart the entire client after you travel long distances. I'm guessing it has something to do with how the game handles garbage. I haven't seen any dev acknowledge this issue. 

I'm fairly sure you posted this elsewhere, given the 2017-thing seems rather specific, so ...

You're making the mistake of conflating all problems with lag as the same problem ... Of course, since the game is built on java, we've always been fighting against the garbage collector and it's uncontrollable pauses, off and on, since the game's inception. We fix it and inevitably an update months or years later adds new trash that then needs to be sorted itself. In that sense, certainly we've been dealing with this for a very long time now.

But, in general, the lag I'm aware of In build 41 is mainly on AMD cards running on Windows, driving around for a long time without seeing zombies causes the game to lag until either a zombie is spotted or the client is restarted. Another common cause (graphics-card/OS agonistic) is just slow mechanical hard drives unable to deliver chunks fast enough; if chunks bottle neck, you get a pause until it can be loaded.

These is different from lag that just happens because you zoom out too far, or there are two many zombies on the screen, or because it's a system with integrated graphics and is running out of RAM (or it's just ultra low power RAM), or it's a dual-core with hyper threading (thus the game thinks it has 4 cores when it only has two), or vysnc is enabled and the system can't keep up .etc. All can be described in similar manners, but all aren't the same problem. Going off an old thread that may or may not have had an answer or resolution doesn't mean we don't address issues.

27 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I'm fairly sure you posted this elsewhere, given the 2017-thing seems rather specific, so ...

You're making the mistake of conflating all problems with lag as the same problem ... Of course, since the game is built on java, we've always been fighting against the garbage collector and it's uncontrollable pauses, off and on, since the game's inception. We fix it and inevitably an update months or years later adds new trash that then needs to be sorted itself. In that sense, certainly we've been dealing with this for a very long time now.

But, in general, the lag I'm aware of In build 41 is mainly on AMD cards running on Windows, driving around for a long time without seeing zombies causes the game to lag until either a zombie is spotted or the client is restarted. Another common cause (graphics-card/OS agonistic) is just slow mechanical hard drives unable to deliver chunks fast enough; if chunks bottle neck, you get a pause until it can be loaded.

These is different from lag that just happens because you zoom out too far, or there are two many zombies on the screen, or because it's a system with integrated graphics and is running out of RAM (or it's just ultra low power RAM), or it's a dual-core with hyper threading (thus the game thinks it has 4 cores when it only has two), or vysnc is enabled and the system can't keep up .etc. All can be described in similar manners, but all aren't the same problem. Going off an old thread that may or may not have had an answer or resolution doesn't mean we don't address issues.

I have a 1060(nvidia) with a 8400 (6 core) and use a nvme (970 plus). I can replicate the issue on demand simply by driving around the map. My zoom is maxed to 150% and vsync isn't enabled. Exactly what he explained is exactly what I can replicate simply by driving around.  

I appreciate you acknowledging the issue and giving some insight on it. At least now I know the issue is indeed known and being worked on.

On 11/24/2020 at 2:19 PM, Sebzone said:

Thanks a lot.

What’s your computer’s specs, btw? Helpful to know if it’s consistent with specific setups.

I can say I have the exact same problem described here, so lemme provide my specs as well:

CPU: i7-7700 (@) 3.60GHz (8 CPUs) ~3.6GHz (not Overclocked)

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 4GB

RAM: 16 GB

Storage: SSD 1TB (C) and SSD 2TB (D), Game directory is in D Drive, but saves are on C Drive (not sure if it matters, but mentioning it anyway)

OS: Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit (Has all updates except the Win10 ones and Telemetrics)

The lag happens in a very specific manner; when you drive long distances with your zoom all out (which is sadly necessary, as Vehicular Field of View is extremely limited), and it REMAINS even if you stop driving and zoom in to the minimum zoom. Computer also reports low memory and slowness when this happens. Closing and relaunching the game fixes the issue no prob, albeit only until your next big road trip.

This is predominately due to memory, sometimes memory leaks can take place when you've had the game running for a while. What I personally suggest to try and fix this issue is a memory cleaner. KoshyJohn's Memeory memory cleaner seems to function brilliantly when it comes to issues like this across other games. 

https://www.koshyjohn.com/software/memclean/

If you are to download it, I suggest in the options menu you select the two top boxes, that being

• Trim processes working set when usage exceeds 80%
  • Clear system cache when usage exceeds 80%

If this doesn't work, post here again. 

Is it possible you could post your "performance tab" from your task manager when this issue occurs?

That's Ctrl+Alt+Del > Task manager > Advanced > Performance.

I hope this helps! 

Archived