Move cars by hand

Col_Disco

Hello,

I already mentioned that idea in the steam workshop page of the tow mod. As the mod is now fully integrated to the game I want to share it here as well.

A player should be able to move a car by pushing it in one direction. Example: Right click on the car on the back or front and the character then pushes the vehicle in the other direction. Additionally in MP a second player could go to the drivers side and they both can then push and steer the car in one direction. Slowly of course and it should be very exhausting, but silent. This would be a great way to be able to clear roads. Kinda high risk, high reward.

Maybe it should also be necessary to let loose the e-brake/handbrake, to be able to push the car so the car has to be open, or the player has to break into it to be able to move it. Also if the car has no tires this shouldnt be possible ofc.

I think its realistic and would be a valueable function in the game. You could clear roads, or push vehicles to create barrier or cover.

Tltr: Player can move car by hand in one direction with high exertion, slowly, silent, may need to break into car to make it moveable (handbrake), and only if the car is in moveable condition.

Edited by Col_Disco

There is actually a tool that can be used for moving a vehicle mostly by hand.

image.png.bda6ee69880a6b51f3c422ff16c34124.png

An old farmer and/or mechanic trick. Ye' olde jack-all can be used to lift one end of the car, you then push the jack-all and the raised end of the vehicle over to shift the vehicle a bit out of your way. The jack-all can kick, you can't be sure how far the vehicle is going to move and it makes a good thud when the vehicle lands! It's a misuse of the tool, it's noisy and the technique prone to damaging the vehicle with a chance for personal injury. This sucker is also really heavy! Perfect for Project Zomboid!

• 2 months later...

In the Workshop, there's the Autotsar (I think) Towing mod, which builds upon the now vanilla-in-41 towing. Among other things, it adds to ability to push cars, though I've never used it, so I'm not sure if it's OP or canonable.

Honestly, I'm unsure what method would be best to implement the function, since Player and Vehicle movements function very differently.

That said, I think this is an excellent idea and I'd love to see an attempt made for it. Whether pushing cars by hand or, as @Masmassusuggested, towing them with other vehicles, it'd make for a really neat extra bit of depth in the world where you can clear roads to create shortcuts or to make high-traffic areas safer.

Even in the early game, I can't tell you how many times I stumble upon a vehicle that I really like or that looks mostly functional, but I have to leave it behind or out in the open... It's a real shame, and I always wish in those times that I could just haul it back to my safehouse or into a nearby garage to work on it rather than out in the middle of an open street.

If you have a key to a car, the player should be able to push the car, albeit slowly, in one direction. With a key, you can put a car in neutral and release em brake to push by hand. In MP, a second player could get in the car and steer it and other could help push it to speed up the process. Seems like something that could be implemented without too much hassle. 

An easy way to implement this might be an alternative setting, like @Axiomaticsuggested, wherein if the player has the key, they might have the option to push it. It probably wouldn't look the greatest, but that's a small price to pay. You could have it function with many of the same restrictions as the new Fitness mechanic wherein, if you're too tired or fatigued, you're barred from doing it—that and, it would likely be significantly slower than actually driving it, but also more than likely a whole lot quieter, too.

On 1/24/2021 at 3:31 AM, Fuzzy Wolfy said:

Honestly, I'm unsure what method would be best to implement the function, since Player and Vehicle movements function very differently.

That said, I think this is an excellent idea and I'd love to see an attempt made for it. Whether pushing cars by hand or, as @Masmassusuggested, towing them with other vehicles, it'd make for a really neat extra bit of depth in the world where you can clear roads to create shortcuts or to make high-traffic areas safer.

Even in the early game, I can't tell you how many times I stumble upon a vehicle that I really like or that looks mostly functional, but I have to leave it behind or out in the open... It's a real shame, and I always wish in those times that I could just haul it back to my safehouse or into a nearby garage to work on it rather than out in the middle of an open street.

If it wasn't clear, this is already in the Autotsar towing mod. You can tow with a rope, or a towing bar, attach a wide variety of trailers, and push a vehicle by hand-- and I've since tried the vehicle pushing, and it is definitely not OP-- in fact, it is as frustrating as in real life-- and I just now realized that may be because I didn't turn off the parking brake.

I have a situation now where I have a trailer that is completely full of stuff that I've wanted to keep, but I reached the entry gate at Raven Creek (mod map), which is basically impassible, so I've now churned several characters attempting to get that trailer back to my safehouse, inside the town.

On 1/26/2021 at 3:52 PM, Kauffy said:

If it wasn't clear, this is already in the Autotsar towing mod. You can tow with a rope, or a towing bar, attach a wide variety of trailers, and push a vehicle by hand-- and I've since tried the vehicle pushing, and it is definitely not OP-- in fact, it is as frustrating as in real life-- and I just now realized that may be because I didn't turn off the parking brake.

I have a situation now where I have a trailer that is completely full of stuff that I've wanted to keep, but I reached the entry gate at Raven Creek (mod map), which is basically impassible, so I've now churned several characters attempting to get that trailer back to my safehouse, inside the town.

Yes, there are other mods that also allow for similar functions, but I'm talking about implementing it into the base game since this seems like a fairly common and straight-forward idea given how the base game works.