Sedgwick

Good day survivors!

A nifty feature I felt was missing from Knox county was the classic sewing machine. Hand stitching is one thing, but tailors should be able to operate in style! I figure there would be two version:

An antique sewing machine that operates slowly. Uses thread more efficiently than by hand.

A powered, more modern sewing machine that operates with electricity. This model would be faster than an antique sewing machine, and use thread slightly more efficiently than an antique sewing machine.

A boost to helping those long tailoring levels out would be a blessing. While thread would still be hard to come by, or take a lot of work from killing and ripping up clothes, a sewing machine would let you more efficiently use what you find in the slow grind that is tailoring. Good luck out there in the apocalypse!

10 hours ago, Toshis said:

Have they mentioned what tailoring expansion will include?

I can't remember any exact quotes, but I know that making your own clothes is planned forsure. Being able to make basic clothes from thread is a given, but hopefully higher level tailors will be able to make denim and leather clothes as well. Armor is a tentative yes, so unless leatherworking is a unique skill, I would expect this to be covered under the tailoring tree. There's a maybe on makeshift armor (i.e. bubblewrap guards, sheet bracers, book binding chestplate) that could also use the skill. I assume sewing machines would come when handsewn clothes come, as that would make the most sense.

I'm not sure when it will come because a lot of the furthering of the mechanic is predicated on the Animal/Hunting Update. I could imagine a whole list of fun tailoring expansions and updates if we add animal husbandry and hunting into the mix. Cows could be killed for leather. Leather jackets, leather pants, shoes/boots, leather gloves, and armor would all be an option. Sheep could be sheared for their wool. This could be turned into yarn, and further knitted into wool beanies, knitted hoodies/cardigans, and warm socks. Hell, imagine hunting wild animals for their pelts and making fur coats and caps for the winter! The animal update is expected in Build 42, and the devs have mentioned a complete farming overhaul is also coming very soon. Perhaps these will be linked together, as I would imagine farming would need to be reworked to keep balance with new animals and other food sources. Maybe they will even add cotton crops, and we can make our own thread farm.

12 hours ago, TrailerParkThor said:

I can't remember any exact quotes, but I know that making your own clothes is planned forsure. Being able to make basic clothes from thread is a given, but hopefully higher level tailors will be able to make denim and leather clothes as well. Armor is a tentative yes, so unless leatherworking is a unique skill, I would expect this to be covered under the tailoring tree. There's a maybe on makeshift armor (i.e. bubblewrap guards, sheet bracers, book binding chestplate) that could also use the skill. I assume sewing machines would come when handsewn clothes come, as that would make the most sense.

I'm not sure when it will come because a lot of the furthering of the mechanic is predicated on the Animal/Hunting Update. I could imagine a whole list of fun tailoring expansions and updates if we add animal husbandry and hunting into the mix. Cows could be killed for leather. Leather jackets, leather pants, shoes/boots, leather gloves, and armor would all be an option. Sheep could be sheared for their wool. This could be turned into yarn, and further knitted into wool beanies, knitted hoodies/cardigans, and warm socks. Hell, imagine hunting wild animals for their pelts and making fur coats and caps for the winter! The animal update is expected in Build 42, and the devs have mentioned a complete farming overhaul is also coming very soon. Perhaps these will be linked together, as I would imagine farming would need to be reworked to keep balance with new animals and other food sources. Maybe they will even add cotton crops, and we can make our own thread farm.

I see. Current tailoring system is quite shallow and i would love to see it expanded, but on the other hand i think that maybe they shouldnt over-elaborate it. When i think about cutting wool, turning it into yarn, knitting - it feels like it is drifting away from the original zomboid vision and turning it into some sort of strategy game or farming simulator., idk.

5 hours ago, Toshis said:

I see. Current tailoring system is quite shallow and i would love to see it expanded, but on the other hand i think that maybe they shouldnt over-elaborate it. When i think about cutting wool, turning it into yarn, knitting - it feels like it is drifting away from the original zomboid vision and turning it into some sort of strategy game or farming simulator., idk.

Definitely will need lots of balancing. Like I said, these are all just ideas based on what we know to be coming soon. I've said for a while that I hope we can't farm "normal" animals. While cows and pigs would be fun, it would fit more with the games atmosphere to farm things like rabbits and pigeons. I like the idea that zombies have all eaten the big animals and we only have small game left. High effort for low reward is the name of the game, and farming rabbits would fit that. Although, I expect fully that we will get sheep and horses because that just fits the game's direction the best. Hopefully, they will be extremely rare. Either way, I think they will be more useful for food with minimal usage for other things. I would expect leather armor and fur coats, but cobbling shoes or knitting homemade yarn seems pretty out there forsure.