Low FPS on rain and 99% GPU used

Jetrox

Question

Hey, when i zoom out or when it's rainy i get lower FPS (from 144 to 50)

And in my task manager, PZ use 99% of my GPU in "System" is that normal ? 

I play in the last version of the IWBUMS

My specs :

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT PULSE
RAM : DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX, 16 Go (2 x 8 Go), 3200 MHz
SSD : Crucial MX500, 500, SATA III

Screenshot_1.png

17 answers to this question

On 11/16/2020 at 1:22 AM, Zork said:

Cheers. I use R9 270X, but AMD OpenGL has had performance issues since 7870 and for several generations afterwards. LWJGL reveals these issues as all the games I mentioned use it.

You can see this issue when your game shows stutters or below-ideal FPS, yet monitoring reveals both CPU and GPU not being fully taxed (sometimes being taxed very little).

The next time rain happens, I will benchmark. I am fairly sure that low FPS in my case is related to raindrops and not puddles, as I had puddles off for a while and still saw low FPS when out scavenging during rain. I will come back and report.

I can confirm that with puddles off my fps are still low in rain

I don't see any difference with the new update, puddle on or off have no effects

The more rain there is, the lower my FPS is

Here is a screenshot of my FPS in the top left corner during heavy rain

(I tried to lower all the settings and it didn't change anything, so i went back to the normal ones)

fps.png

fps2.png

On 11/12/2020 at 5:21 PM, Daevinski said:

Some things you can try:

• Enable Muti-Thread
  • Disable V-Sync
  • Lock the FPS at 60 (or whatever is the max in your monitor)
  • Enable the FPS Lock for UI outside the window at 30fps or less
  • Run on Windowed Mode and maximize it using Borderless Gaming (https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming/releases)

The first time I installed the game with the latest version I had this problem, so I did all of that and I'm using Razer Cortex as well, just in case, now it's very stable with ocasional drops in very specific situations.

All done, still the same

I can't even play anymore, i have a 1000$+ computer and i have 25 fps when it's rainy outside

I feel like i've tried everything

On 11/12/2020 at 12:33 PM, Zork said:

Or we could just acknowledge that rain is an awful FPS hog and they need to fix it.

A relatively simple effect in a 2D game should not tank FPS of modern gaming rigs like this.

It seems rare as well as limited to (largely, if not exclusively) amd hardware, which means it’s more of an implementation issue specific to a subset of hardware/drivers and the functions we use. Not unlike the game crashing on intel+nvidia 1050/1060 laptops, or shaders for fog just spontaneously glitching out on Macs.

Since we’re not Bethesda, we can’t exactly call them and find out why a simple shader   wrecks what should be an alright set up.

I don’t have any suggestions beyond trying to turn off things in AMD’s software package and checking if it’s throttling.

I know that AMD's OpenGL implementation is bad in combination with LWJGL; Zomboid is not the only game that shows this. Minecraft and Starsector also have FPS drops while the GPU idles. So you may have a point there. I just assumed the rain taxed the CPU, not the GPU, because that's what I'm seeing when I monitor it.

2 hours ago, Zork said:

I know that AMD's OpenGL implementation is bad in combination with LWJGL; Zomboid is not the only game that shows this. Minecraft and Starsector also have FPS drops while the GPU idles. So you may have a point there. I just assumed the rain taxed the CPU, not the GPU, because that's what I'm seeing when I monitor it.

That’s very odd.

Okay, that makes your comment make more sense, then. I wonder if AMD is shuffling something we’re using off to software rendering then.

What graphics card, btw?

44 minutes ago, Beard said:

Have you tried changing a few settings in the options? Like disabling indoor rain, lowering Puddle and Water quality to see if that helps?

Yes, i disabled indoor rain, i've put puddle and water quality to the lowest and it didnt change anything

Check your zoom, as far as I know the more you're zoom out, more things are being "processed" at once. Here I gained a lot of FPS by limiting my zoom to 50% and 75% (what is enough for me). Also if you're playing with Superb Survivors, that one is a FPS killer right now.

9 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

EasyPickens made a change to puddles that’ll use buffer vertex objects instead. This will reduce draw calls.

It’ll be out in the next IWBUMS update. Let us know if it helps. :)

Ok, thank you for the help !

Can't wait to try it

1 hour ago, Jetrox said:

I don't have any mods, and i already removed some of the zooms but with my specs i dont see why i still have theses fps drop

Some things you can try:

• Enable Muti-Thread
  • Disable V-Sync
  • Lock the FPS at 60 (or whatever is the max in your monitor)
  • Enable the FPS Lock for UI outside the window at 30fps or less
  • Run on Windowed Mode and maximize it using Borderless Gaming (https://github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming/releases)

The first time I installed the game with the latest version I had this problem, so I did all of that and I'm using Razer Cortex as well, just in case, now it's very stable with ocasional drops in very specific situations.

Cheers. I use R9 270X, but AMD OpenGL has had performance issues since 7870 and for several generations afterwards. LWJGL reveals these issues as all the games I mentioned use it.

You can see this issue when your game shows stutters or below-ideal FPS, yet monitoring reveals both CPU and GPU not being fully taxed (sometimes being taxed very little).

The next time rain happens, I will benchmark. I am fairly sure that low FPS in my case is related to raindrops and not puddles, as I had puddles off for a while and still saw low FPS when out scavenging during rain. I will come back and report.

Archived