DIY Clothes

colid_cnake

With the tailoring skill in the game, I think it'd be a helpful addition to be able to make your own clothes instead of just repairing what you find. Sheets could be cut and stitched together into light & airy clothes like tunics or ponchos, perfect for hot summers late into the apocalypse. Additionally, tarps could be used for waterproofing existing clothes or even making cheapo waders to keep your legs dry. Later on when animals and hunting are in, pelts would definitely be useful for making winter clothes. Maybe even pillows could come into play as padding for warmth and protection.

I've been using the mod Knitting, and it's been making me crave this exact thing in vanilla. A big tailoring overhaul is definitely needed. Its hard to gain the skill at all unless balance mods are used. I think expanding on sewing would be the easiest way to do it without adding too many new features. High level Tailoring skill should allow survivors to actually make Homemade Clothes. Denim and Leather would take higher and higher tailoring skill, but making a Homemade T-Shirt or Pants should probably need about Level 6. A Sewing Machine could be added that needs electricity and has to be found, but would lower the Level required to make each type of clothing by 2. So a Level 4 Tailor should be able to make a Homemade Skirt at a sewing machine. Making foul weather gear with tarps would be a welcome addition forsure, and of course using furs to make warm clothes would be great once animals are implemented. Maybe the skins of creatures could be dried to make your own leather. Could then be cut into strips to make clothing, or even turned into armor if you have the full leather! I would love to see hunted animals drop pelts, and domesticated animals drop raw leather. If they went this far, it would even be cool to see farmable cotton that could be made into formal shirts or denim for jeans. Hell, maybe sheep could even be sheared for wool. That wool could then be turned into yarn and knitted into beanies, hoodies, or socks. Based on this though, I wouldn't expect these changes until after the Animal Update (B42 hopefully!!). Ideally, that update would be a Farming Overhaul as well since livestock will be included. Maybe this should be thrown in there as well!