Add radiation events and geiger counters

SmegmaGreen

Just a random idea.

It'd be fun to have radiation events like a nuclear power plant meltdown after a  few months in game time, with radioactive fallout, radioactive zombies, requiring us to use geiger counters, hazmat suits, iodine pills, decontamination, making the player move to new territory, get rid of contaminated clothes and food. Also it seems like the new weather system could work with this amazingly... Imho.

• 3 weeks later...

I like this idea too but not for Project Zomboid. At least vanilla anyways. The game is already mad difficult when you're just trying to survive winter. I can't imagine much luck having fun if you added radiation and mutants to that equation. Just checked and there isn't a nuclear power plant in Kentucky, or anywhere near Knox Country. The closest would be too far away to have any effect, and most plants have emergency auto-shutdown protocols in case of apocalyptic events these days. Maybe a theoretical sequel or spiritual successor that ups the scale of the game to include different kinds of apocalypses. Right now, I'd rather they flesh out the existing zombie armageddon than completely derail to start over from scratch.

Even though I think it is a great idea that should definitely be seriously considered I understand why it might be too big of an undertaking for the dev team. But I think the general concept of contamination is an awesome idea that would really switch up and extend the end-game. It'd also work with some sort of late game airborne mutation of the virus where being in close proximity to zombies without protective equipment might be enough to get you infected. This would make close combat more risky and also require any newly acquired items and the clothes you've worn to be disinfected before undressing and eating/drinking/etc. It'd definitely make the end game more interesting.

17 hours ago, diminished said:

Even though I think it is a great idea that should definitely be seriously considered I understand why it might be too big of an undertaking for the dev team. But I think the general concept of contamination is an awesome idea that would really switch up and extend the end-game. It'd also work with some sort of late game airborne mutation of the virus where being in close proximity to zombies without protective equipment might be enough to get you infected. This would make close combat more risky and also require any newly acquired items and the clothes you've worn to be disinfected before undressing and eating/drinking/etc. It'd definitely make the end game more interesting.

The virus is already an airborne strain. That's why the infection spreads worldwide. In the lore, PCs are immune from this airborne strain. That's why we're all alone and can only die from scratches/bites. Wouldn't really make sense to worry about that strain. However, contamination zones where zombie bodily fluids have covered every surface would be a fun challenge. Gas masks would be required and you would have to wash with soap/disinfectant afterwards. If desiring better protection or if you have open wounds, a hazmat suit would be required. This could be a CDC field HQ or maybe a quarantine zone that become contaminated.