Severe FPS drop when fully zoomed out during rain

Draculion

Noticed that when its raining and i'm zoomed out, my FPS drops pretty bad and every action has at least half a second delay. (Zooming in all the way alleviated the issue, but that caused me to lose my full range of vision)

Steps to reproduce:

1) Zoom in all the way
2) Wait for rain/heavy rain to begin
3) Progressively zoom out
4) While zooming out, attempt to perform actions like strafing, moving around, or even performing actions like attacking.

Expected Result: Player should not expect to see any drop in FPS or delay in actions being performed while rain is occurring.

Actual Result:  Player sees significant drop in FPS and delay in actions due to rain.

Workarounds: Player can zoom in during rain to reduce the FPS drop. (But comes at a cost of vision)

Other notes:
Fog didn't seem to be a problem at all, including thick fog and darkness.

I suspect it might have to do with rendering the rain puddles at such a large view distance, but my focus last night was on just playing, and not actually trying to debug.

DefaultOptions.JPG

Edited by Draculion
Adding Default rendering settings, and additional notes.

• 1 year later...

yes im having the same problem and i just upgraded my computer with image.png.7b18ec2f4ca9698fd07b566c42a39532.png

and amd radeon rx 6700 xt at 1920x1080

with 120hz on everything except when it rains 

fog is fine, even heavy rain/fog with the windgusts is less of a fps hit than regular rain 

if i turn off rain it works fine but come on its a rain animation it shouldnt be hogging this much memory.

also tried turning off all other settings such as skybox ect and that doesnt really help my computer is a beast compared to most and plays most games at ultra without raytracing.

maybe the rain texture your using is too high definition?

can we get a lower definition version as an option?

this is frustrating when your playing and rain comes and you get 20fps on a 2k computer lol its a isometric game wtf

Far as I can tell from past reports, it's limited to certain video cards. So it's less of a general problem and more something specific to the way those OpenGL functions we use work on a subset of video cards or specific drivers.

We're unable to reproduce it here, so it's difficult to fix. And, tbh, we don't really have the expertise to delve deep into the differences between individual GPUs at this time, but hopefully the fellow that usually helps out with this sort of thing will have time to take a look in the nearer future. :)

Do try updating your GPU's drivers. It's possible it's an implementation issue on AMD's end and it'll get fixed in an update, as well. 

Oh, btw, if you're not on Build 41 (version number in the lower-right of the main menu) you might not have one of our fixes relating to this. You can get it in the betas tab (right click PZ in the Steam game library -> betas -> iwillbackupmysave or build 41, they're identical).