Mechanics experience can be gained indefinitely by un/installing light bulbs, radios and batteries

Faalagorn

While there seems to be some kind of protection about it when each item give XP only once for installing and uninstalling it in a car, it seems that after you switch cars it is no longer the case and eventually you can go back to the original one again.

Combine that with the fact that unlike other parts, light bulbs, radios and batteries can't lose any of the durability when installing and light bulbs are plentiful (you can disassemble radios, TVs or take them out from lamps or other cars – 4/each car), you can grind mechanic experience pretty easily.

I know it's not yet time for balance and some skills are way easier to train than others, plus it doesn't give tremendous amount of XP given the time required for it to pull off, and you need more than 1 car at relatively safe splot, it seems there should be some more protection about exploiting it. Maybe make all these items slowly lose durability when (un)installing or stop gaining XP from it past level 1-2 of mechanics (or enforce keeping track of when the part is installed more, but I think this approach is overly complicated and keeping track of each item seems unnecessary data).

I think sawing logs and some cooking recipes got a similar treatment before.

1 hour ago, elislavkat said:

Yeah, this skill is mostly boring to upgrade. looks like exploit. Maybe need gain faster xp? 

It's not so bad, electricity and tailoring are worse :). Still, getting XP over the same action with the same item still is exploitable, as you aren't even limited by resources as you are using the same items over and over unlike all other survival skills.

8 hours ago, tommysticks said:

Can do the same with reloading skill. Jam and un-jam mags for all the XP.

I actually don't mind these issues, as @elislavkat stated, these skills are pretty boring to level. 

True, reloading skill is also an oddity here, though for the time being I don't think how could it be improved (but I think loading magazines finally give XP now, so that's something to break it :D). For the lightbulbs I wouldn't mind them breaking, at least they would be more wanted knowing how plentiful they are now, but I'd love to tinker more with other parts rather than lightbulbs for grinding the XP ;)

21 hours ago, Nebula said:

Bulbs during operation (when turned on) - should periodically fail. In real life, they are not eternal, and have a lifespan. In the current version of the game, they are practically eternal if you drive your car carefully.

I think it's currently in-game? I think I had light bulb fail in a lamp in-game, unless it was a bug.

On 11/5/2020 at 8:55 PM, Geras said:

No, they definitely burn out in lamps, but not in cars, afaik.

Makes sense, would be ideally if lightbulbs could have unified durability and slowly lose it when lit or being turned on/off or even better, add different light bulbs and radios separate for cars – radios also have durability only in cars, but I think they can't lose it at all, lightbulbs do when you crash a car.

Also, unrelated, so I guess it's for a different bug issue, but it seems that light bulbs taken off the lamps have different icons in inventory as well.