A way of jailing people?

silents429

Dependent upon whether or not they were broken before they were released. A person's mind can only bend so far before it breaks. The resulting pieces are quite malleable. Thus the aforementioned Stockholm Syndrome which is a very real thing.

But like I said. I wouldn't be surprised if that was considered too dark for the devs to add.

Dependent upon whether or not they were broken before they were released. A person's mind can only bend so far before it breaks. The resulting pieces are quite malleable. Thus the aforementioned Stockholm Syndrome which is a very real thing.

But like I said. I wouldn't be surprised if that was considered too dark for the devs to add.

Nothing is too dark for the zombie apocalypse. That and it would be fun to have someone with Stockholm Syndrome. I could make them do shit for me, then murder them myself so I don't have a mentally destroyed person wandering around.

I could make them do shit for me, then murder them myself so I don't have a mentally destroyed person wandering around.

I think the mentally destroyed person would still be there ;)

I am the only mentally unhealthy person allowed around. Because unlike other crazy people, I have self control and can function well.

I still love to murder people though.  (clyde)

I could make them do shit for me, then murder them myself so I don't have a mentally destroyed person wandering around.

I am the only mentally unhealthy person allowed around. Because unlike other crazy people, I have self control and can function well.

I hope your talking about ingame over there.

I hope your talking about ingame over there.

Yes! Yes, of course...

-Locks basement door-

:shock:

I like the idea of detaining people or npcs, adds more elements to the game, being able to make a stronger door so you can still open it after locked would be good but if thats not on the cards at least make the sheriffs office have usable jail cells :)

who's up for holding the cop shop :D

• 2 weeks later...

Imprisoning may be sinister, but it sounds like a perfectly viable future feature. Even if it was only against NPCs, you could designate a room as a prison cell or something. After a certain amount of time, they might decide to join your group.

Or lock up a bunch of zombies and have a death room. You fuck up, you get eaten alive in said death room. And I get to watch.

(tophat)

Yep. And make bets with other survivors xD

I'd love this idea.

Imagine the possibilities in the future with multiplayer.

-Griefer enters server-

-Griefer gets stuck in jail-

-You attract zombies-

-You let them into the building and open the cell and then jump out of a window-

-Then barricade it and laugh as he gets ate alive-

Let set the stage here, we are not in the old west.  We are at the end of the world.  Life is cheap and there is no law, lest what you make of it.  "Might makes right."

Lets assume you have a walled off little town.  Lets call it Woodbury.  Whenever a party comes into town, that are put in isolation for 24 hours for observations.  Someone starts to get sick, you pull them into a room with a bed.  If they turn, you dispatch them.  How?  Man catcher and a long spear unless you strapped them to the bed.  The it is just the long spear.

Town justice.  You catch someone stealing, you let them run the gauntlet between everyone in town (you hit them with a strap). You catch a rapist or murderer, your bash their head in.  Someone guily of sedition, bash their heads in.

Sound brutal, the laws have a heavily Roman influence.  You want to establish a beach head in the wilderness, you have harsh laws.  People realize crime bears a harsh punishment and they are less likely to do it.  However, if you kill off to many of your towns folk, then you are doing something wrong to begin with.

As far as prisoners go, the why becomes the important factor.  If they are an enemy, then holding them for possible prisoner exchanges in the future could be the plan.  Do you really want to waste resources on an enemy?  Food, water, shelter and then pull a person off one duty to act as a guard.  If they escape you have more worries to bear.  Chain them up to a pole 25' from the main gate with at 8 foot chain.  Give them a weapon (say a bat or a knife).  Let them be their own guard.  Food and water... your towns call.  Personally, I would give them a bottle of water twice a day.  Food, scraps from the left over stews (at best).

If you are going to talk ransom, slavery, etc for just some Jane or Joe trying to survive.  Um, they were solo.  Who is going to buy their freedom?  If they are part of a group, you have now made an enemy from potential allies.  Be fair BUT be brutal.  Others in the wasteland will come to see your plain dealings and respect/fear you.

Worth noting the trading is actually one of the very first things the devs discussed about this game when it was first coming into being, so I can say with some confidence we will indeed be seeing trading at some juncture.

Not sure about that one John, but it definitely sounds like a good idea.

I'll chime in on this and say it sounds like a fine idea, both for NPCs and other players. A few have stated that life is meaningless, they'd rather kill themselves off and respawn as a new char, but here's the thing... if you were captured after surviving for three months, building up your skills like a pro, I have a feeling it'd be more difficult than you imagine to just cut your losses and throw the char away. Especially when there's a good chance you'll be released in the near future. 

As long as the devs made it so sitting in a cell is more fun than just "sitting in a cell"... I think that'd be the main factor to consider. If exercising is implemented, you could use the time to level up your abs. Or create a racket and attract zombies like someone mentioned, give your captors some trouble for holding you. Maybe strike up convo with your guard, try to turn him/her ally. If it's made to be a more involved part of gameplay as opposed to just idling until escape/release, and you've decently leveled up your character by that point, I highly doubt most players would rage quit over perhaps a few hours of being kept out of the rain and away from the biters.

Btw, this is coming from another who prefers to RP over 'gaming the game'. When multiplayer is implemented, I hope there will be specific servers devoted to RPers and others devoted to shoot 'em and loot 'ems. It'd be the most frustrating thing ever to work up a good story with my character only to get pwned by some jerk only interested in racking up points.

Btw, this is coming from another who prefers to RP over 'gaming the game'. When multiplayer is implemented, I hope there will be specific servers devoted to RPers and others devoted to shoot 'em and loot 'ems. It'd be the most frustrating thing ever to work up a good story with my character only to get pwned by some jerk only interested in racking up points.

That I would love. Would have to be whitelist/application only as griefers, even with good moderators, could run rampant.

I meant what to do if you plan on keeping them alive!

:mad:

Jeez, you guys are evil. My plan is much better. If possible, I'd starve them on low rations for a week or five until their spirit is broken, then come along offering a full steak dinner in exchange for information/joining my group/helping me steal their old group's supplies/helping me kidnap other members of their group

Because that's clearly the better way to do things.

No it isn't, because if I was a person in captivity barely left alive, and suddenly was brought a real meal and just... offered to join the group or something, there's no way in hell I or any other sensible human being would believe it's that simple. Why would I take you to my friends? Once you know about them, you'd kill me and then my friends would be fucked. Why would I want to join the group of someone who starves their prisoners? Why would I EVER want to assist those same people of surviving? Especially if they added the stipulation that I betray my old friends in the process?

And why would YOU want to let a turncoat who WOULD be willing to do those things to his "friends" into your haven? You don't think he wouldn't do the exact same to you, or worse, seek vengeance later for what you did to him?

If you pulled some shit like that on me (or most players I'm going to guess) then I would make sure I was having the last laugh.

It's been proven to work every now and again in wartime.

If a party has more people than yours in better conditions.... people will do incredible things to survive. Not everyone is morally upright which is why interrogation and promises work sometimes.

That I would love. Would have to be whitelist/application only as griefers, even with good moderators, could run rampant.

As long as they give us a means to host the server I would probably host a pure RP server. Used to be into that thing with Gmod until.. well... reasons.

Don't worry, I'm not talking DarkRP or PERP or anything like that.

Thinking about it if you have jails, then you and the NPC's should have the option to conceal equipment so that they may breakout later or attack a guard when they don't expect it. Conversely there should be a "Pat down" option to search a survivor before they get jailed quarantined.

I could see this as a luck based thing with the future Lucky/Unlucky traits affecting it as well as some moodlets. Could be done as a contested roll with traits and moodlets as modifiers..

Don't really agree.

1- There is no point system to rack up - this should motivate people to not act stupid/irrational on purpose (like running around screaming/shooting etc), since griefers/trolls would simply die within first few minutes.

2- Living in a society after its collapse or after any major catastrophe DOES involve risks of getting killed by some jerk for no reason other than taking your stuff (or just not liking you)

3- If you spend a lot of time working up a good story, and then it ends abruptly because of someone else who is also trying to survive - then I'm really really sorry for you, but that's just how the things work - this isn't Sims, and you and your story are not special - shamblers had their stories and plans too at some point..

In any case, harsh and unforgiving environment (or aggressive/mean players in MP) will not hurt RP or immersion aspects of a survival game IMHO.

However I must agree that, given time, trolls will eventually come up with a number of creative ways of annoying people, that's why players, according to our beloved devs, will have all the control over the MP servers:

"We'll hand complete control over server rules to the server operators, and with the modding support different online communities could even use mods that help regulate their servers. You can imagine quite in-depth anti-griefer tools, tools to stop newcomers to servers from destroying walls, breaking into protected buildings or starting fires until they go through a trial period or all manner of things." 

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/3029-how-will-trolls-be-dealt-with-in-multi-player/page-2

Yes my little thread GROW! AND EXPAND!

Kinda curious how interrogation would work, since some of you wanted that, the only one I had was starving the person, but even then, its not like you in real life are going to be hungry, but you will get bored and want to leave the jail and most likely do anything to do that.

Surely there are other ways. :evil: