Limitless Sandbox Trait

Luingar

But I am not going for super man i am going for me but if someone out there wants to make superman let them don't restrict them.

Wouldn't it make even a little sense then to have the traits be added as random or did you pick your good sight or immune system before birth... Otherwise I think it would go to the category of cheats and thats altogether a different thing that should be considered seperately by the devs if implemented or not.

I'm definetly not saying that all the traits should be random. Just adding a checkbox that would add none, one or two small random traits. In my little world of insanity this would add some immersion to the character creation.

I'm definetly not saying that all the traits should be random. Just adding a checkbox that would add none, one or two small random traits. In my little world of insanity this would add some immersion to the character creation.

It's a fine thing to do, too. Random name, why not reasonably random traits and professions selected for that character?

Saying it could be a mod because you don't like it is a horrible argument. If it took only one person not liking a potential feature in a game for it to be shot down then the game in its vanilla form would never improve and all new things would have to be modded this would do more  good than harm. It doesn't misrepresent the game at all it is sandbox not survival.

Except that that's not why he's saying it should be a mod. He's saying it because as has already been pointed out it goes against the development direction this game is going and goes against everything about it. Sandbox is still part of the game and as such should still represent the game for what it's meant to be. But at the very end of the day, it's probably just going to be a no because Lemmy probably just doesn't want to do it. I can't speak for him, but I doubt it's going to happen. And honestly, you could change 1 line of text and have this.

I don't see a reason why this should not be a thing.

If at all, it would be a sandbox option. It's not like you couldn't accmplish it via Cheat Engine or editing the game files. I don't think it would be a hard thing to implement. People who don't want to use it wouldn't be affected at all.

It's a fine thing to do, too. Random name, why not reasonably random traits and professions selected for that character?

Because that would be going to excess in terms of amount of work and realism (as you obviously know with that tone)... I understand that it's propably a hell to code this kind of stuff, but I was just thinking it as a compromise and somewhat an immersion increase in my opinion as you will most likely be impacted by things you cannot control and not dictated by them. But I rest my case as I've propably gotten my thought across by now :). But I've actually started learning some lua and maybe in a few years I'll be able to do it as a mod myself :P.

Except that that's not why he's saying it should be a mod. He's saying it because as has already been pointed out it goes against the development direction this game is going and goes against everything about it. Sandbox is still part of the game and as such should still represent the game for what it's meant to be. But at the very end of the day, it's probably just going to be a no because Lemmy probably just doesn't want to do it. I can't speak for him, but I doubt it's going to happen. And honestly, you could change 1 line of text and have this.

Telling someone they could mod it, no matter how simple, is never a valid argument and if the majority of people want it why not put it in assuming the devs are okay with it( their opinion is absolute), and it doesn't go against the game I don't see why you think that and you don't seem to realize what a "sandbox" mode is suppose to be, the fact that it set limits in the first place was going against sandbox.

It's a simple suggestion that a lot of people (but not all) will use. The point system would still be displayed, it just wouldn't restrict you from continuing. And as far as how it doesn't fit the general theme of the game, IT'S SANDBOX. By clicking that button you've alerady decided not to folllow the general theme of the normal game in exchange for something different.

It could even take the form of a checkbox you have to uncheck at character creation marked "Proper characters"

It could even take the form of a checkbox you have to uncheck at character creation marked "Proper characters"

Somehow that isn't as intruding as just the ability to choose whatever traits you want. hmm... confused am I... +1

If at all this would be implemented I think this would be a nice way of doing it. It sort of makes you feel bad for it ;) same as with the zombies.

And hide the checkbox in a corner! No? ok maybe not...

Saying it could be a mod because you don't like it is a horrible argument. If it took only one person not liking a potential feature in a game for it to be shot down then the game in its vanilla form would never improve and all new things would have to be modded this would do more  good than harm. It doesn't misrepresent the game at all it is sandbox not survival.

It should be a mod because you want a customized experience, tailored to your own preferences.

They've spent quite a bit of time ensuring the game is highly moddable for this reason.

It doesn't misrepresent the game at all it is sandbox not survival.

Opinions differ.

Easiest way is just to make a selectable profession, only in sandbox, that gives a free trait that'll provide a positive points balance of 99.

Easiest way is just to make a selectable profession, only in sandbox, that gives a free trait that'll provide a positive points balance of 99.

I totally agree with you here :)

and if Luingar would want the free traits, then maybe creating a profession that has all the free works as well (or is there a way to enable those?)

what what how can I see what mode I'm in at that moment?

It should be a mod because you want a customized experience, tailored to your own preferences.

They've spent quite a bit of time ensuring the game is highly moddable for this reason.

Opinions differ.

It should be vanilla when a majority want it in instead of modding it in (you seem to think I am the only one judging from the first line you wrote), those who think this is a bad idea are in the minority and why don't they just not use it, ignore it, etc. instead of dragging the rest of us down. It doesn't hurt you it benefits those who want it and it really isn't that hard to ignore.

It should be vanilla when a majority want it in instead of modding it in (you seem to think I am the only one judging from the first line you wrote), those who think this is a bad idea are in the minority and why don't they just not use it, ignore it, etc. instead of dragging the rest of us down. It doesn't hurt you it benefits those who want it and it really isn't that hard to ignore.

I used to cheat in games until the point when I realized that it was just ruining the entire game. Why would you encourage people to undermine the way the game is meant to be played? You are plead for a disservice to the new players. If someone would desire to cheat let them search for themself, this can easily be modified in the files if someone would find it appealing.

I used to cheat in games until the point when I realized that it was just ruining the entire game. Why would you encourage people to undermine the way the game is meant to be played? You are plead for a disservice to the new players. If someone would desire to cheat let them search for themself, this can easily be modified in the files if someone would find it appealing.

It isn't cheating it is sandbox and i suppose you don't find no zombies in a zombie game to be cheating now do you because that is an option that already exist.

Like I said above, I oppose it because I think it would be a bad representation of what this game stands for.

The same way you could add "My Little Pony" characters and I wouldn't have to use them, so it wouldn't affect me.

Wait... You mean... They aren't adding my little pony? That's it I'm done with this game.. lol

I think adding sandbox options that go against the fundamentals of the game are not really a bad thing. This game is deep and complex, or at least it's planned to be.  I sort of see sandbox mode as possibly becoming a tool through which an average person without technical knowledge can play with sliders and checkboxes and create almost a total conversion mod, almost a new game.

All the survival mechanics, the crafting, building, and all the stuff this game will hopefully have when it's done.  The majority of that stuff is not even zombie related or specific.  There have been many discussions of selling this thing to other devs as a game engine, because it's going to have so much stuff.  Now, I think it would be awesome to put as many of those things as possible into the sandbox options and allow everyday users to mess around with it.  Even just something super simple, turn off zombies and turn NPCs way up, and you've got a non-zombie post apocalypse survival game.

Personally there have been things I want the ability to turn off in sandbox that could admittedly make the game a lot easier.  To be specific, I hate the idea of boredom.  Now, do I want to disable it because I want an easier game?  No, I just don't like it for a bunch of reasons and I'd like the option to play without it.  Still, even if I wanted an easier game, oh well, that'd just be my preference.

I think you're way over the line claiming a majority want it, because even in this small slice of the community (the approx. 5 people posting in this thread) only 2 of you want it. You are not a majority.

For the last time "just ignore it" is not a valid argument and is a logical fallacy. You're arguing yourself in circles which is a sure sign of a weak argument.

I think you're way over the line claiming a majority want it, because even in this small slice of the community (the approx. 5 people posting in this thread) only 2 of you want it. You are not a majority.

For the last time "just ignore it" is not a valid argument and is a logical fallacy. You're arguing yourself in circles which is a sure sign of a weak argument.

Pulling #s out of the air are we? Go back and look more people want it than those that don't ,and your argument isn't any better and you keep doing the same, and it IS reasonable to ignore it it isn't hard and it won't affect you.

Pulling #s out of the air are we? Go back and look more people want it than those that don't ,and your argument isn't any better and you keep doing the same, and it IS reasonable to ignore it it isn't hard and it won't affect you.

It doesn't matter if more people want it than not. If the idea goes against the design philosophy that the devs are aiming for, then it's not going to get implemented.

It doesn't matter if more people want it than not. If the idea goes against the design philosophy that the devs are aiming for, then it's not going to get implemented.

It doesn't go against design it is SANDBOX which is basically do whatever you want however you want and I think a zombie game with no zombies goes against design more than this and that is already an option. I agree  OndieJ this is an agree to disagree thing. The point is not getting through so I am wasting my time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: here is the amount of people on each side currently

Don't mind if it is in: Luingar, Scyoni, MrZombifiedGamer, k12314, tomga1, acex222, Brandon354, OndieJ, nasKo, zombo

total: 10

Don't want it in:  Rathlord, EnigmaGrey, Roach, Kajin

Total 4

I couldn't tell/ didn't specify: Suomiboi, 7Roses

Total: 2

If I misrepresented you just say so and i will fix it.

It doesn't go against design it is SANDBOX which is basically do whatever you want however you want and I think a zombie game with no zombies goes against design more than this and that is already an option. I agree  OndieJ this is an agree to disagree thing. The point is not getting through so I am wasting my time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: here is the amount of people on each side currently

Don't mind if it is in: Luingar, Scyoni, MrZombifiedGamer, k12314, tomga1, acex222, Brandon354, OndieJ, nasKo, zombo

total: 10

Don't want it in:  Rathlord, EnigmaGrey, Roach, Kajin

Total 4

I couldn't tell/ didn't specify: Suomiboi, 7Roses

Total: 2

If I misrepresented you just say so and i will fix it.

Now you are comparing apples and pears. One group is saying that they want this in their game, the other half is saying they don't want it in the original game. Considering how easy this is to modify by just doing something as simply as just changing a trait to give you +99; why don't you ask any of the modders to do it for you?