The END goal of the game

Muew

Been playing hard for last 8-9 days. Around 100 hours into the game which is kind of much for me in so short time.

But, it's a game that really fights you and keeps putting you back into the coffin and it's kind of the point with the game - But for some reason i don't really KNOW what the future of the ingame world holds for me so i keep dying, keep playing and trying to stay alive. There is some features i would love to see that changes with the game world over time to keep the player entertained and focused on upgrading the character. 

1- A Type of survival Skill that overall strenghten the character in very tiny ways, may it be a bar in the skill UI - kind of "Overall Experience" Let's say each day your character automaticly gets xp for just staying alive. This will give the player more to struggle for, and death is gonna hurt a little more. We all want to survive longest possible and it would be nice to see SOMETHING rewarding for it. Realisticly a person surviving 3-4 months in the apocalypse will have some experience with him that would make life easier. On 30 days + we would see that this XP bar going up giving the character small tiny upgrades to Strenght and such skillpoints. Making that character overall better. I'm not talking huge advantages, you would never die if you survive 6 months but tiny tiny stuff. Maybe looting faster, or running 0.2 points faster and such. Could also be that over a long period the character does not need to eat so much food as before, this is realistic cause the stomich change over long periods of low food intake. 

2. More World changes after long periods. Even more overgrowth.. buildings looking awfull and animals trying to enter cities and such, could be predators too, this would make the player feel that the world is changing and its rewarding in it self. Im talking 1 year from the apocalypse here - like a super long goal to look foward to. 

3. Character change, physical changes maybe, muscle, more hair change and such, skin tone? - Psykological, maybe get some kind of negatives - Paranoia, talking to yourself making it easier for zombies to track you? Lots can be done here to change the gameplay. Again, talking 1 year into the apocalypse. 

4. Zombies, oh yes. 1 year into apocalypse the mutations start, bigger, scarier or faster. Different kind of zombies. THIS i do feel is a must for the future.

5. Radio scripts/Shows after 1 year change up following the ingame world as it is now. 

6. Weather, maybe some heavy changes to weather. Some stay indoor events had been very cool to change the gameplay up in the late stages. Huge zombie hordes passing by - or  - Extreme storms passing by between 1-14 days. - Extreme cold weather for a period. - All of these that would make the player dwell or get ready for upcoming huge events that forced the player to stock up on food and supplies to survive these events. - maybe a silent hill like event, horde night where zombies run for certain periods in the night. 

7. Graphic changes filter. The world is getting dirtier, overgrown, dusty and full of bad smells. Change the filter overlay over time, make it darker or grittier. A lot can be done with filters, make it more gray. This could also be events that after a certain time all the dead zombies are making a mess, forcing the player to wear gasmask and such. 

8. Area of danger. I would love to see area that is really impossible to reach early game. Contaminated zones that require hazmat gear that takes a very long time to get hold of, which will let the end game player explore as a reward, giving very good loot. 

Just some ideas! Tell me what you think. Apologize for mye english. 

Ps! Thank you for making this game, the 41 build is fucking incredible - i said it before, if you want help with the sounddesign call me up! lolol

Edited by Muew

59 minutes ago, Muew said:

Zombies, oh yes. 1 year into apocalypse the mutations start, bigger, scarier or faster. Different kind of zombies. THIS i do feel is a must for the future.

This is one thing that definitely won't happen from the developers. Mutations/special zombies. Right now, they actually deteriorate over time and get weaker and while it doesn't help the late game right now, you'll see at the end of this post how they plan to make the late-game more interesting and challenging.

1 hour ago, Muew said:

7. Graphic changes filter. The world is getting dirtier, overgrown, dusty and full of bad smells. Change the filter overlay over time, make it darker or grittier. A lot can be done with filters, make it more gray. This could also be events that after a certain time all the dead zombies are making a mess, forcing the player to wear gasmask and such. 

8. Area of danger. I would love to see area that is really impossible to reach early game. Contaminated zones that require hazmat gear that takes a very long time to get hold of, which will let the end game player explore as a reward, giving very good loot. 

From just recently playing through the three Metro games I sense a lot of inspiration here. :D I'm not sure if it fits with the lore, I love Metro and the idea of this but personally I don't think this kind of things suits Zomboid.

Everything else you listed I think is fair game to be considered/discussed. Psychological stuff used to be slightly in years ago. You'd hallucinate zombies. Would be great to get it back and more fleshed out.

For endgame stuff, this is the kind of thing they're aiming for to make it not lackluster: Capture3.PNG

7 hours ago, Muew said:

4. Zombies, oh yes. 1 year into apocalypse the mutations start, bigger, scarier or faster. Different kind of zombies. THIS i do feel is a must for the future.

A lot of the topics you are talking  are in the list to be develop. But more i would like to say that zombies in certain way are predictable u have slower and fast walkers and they stay just that way, which makes kitting a horde very comfortable, but what if later in game is more random a slow walker could suddenly be a faster walker when get close to you making the zombies more unpredictable.

7 hours ago, Muew said:

8. Area of danger. I would love to see area that is really impossible to reach early game.

This one would be nice if they implement basements, they could introduce large underground structures military type, maybe with some type of gas in it, that u need hazmat suit or gas mask to explore.

Also basements/underground structure is way more intense to explore cuz u don't have windows to scape or second floors to jump away, u will feel vulnerable/trap in this type of places. Plus they will be pitch dark only with a flashlight would be possible.

Edited by Charlypizza
Word correction

21 hours ago, MadDan2013 said:

This is one thing that definitely won't happen from the developers. Mutations/special zombies. Right now, they actually deteriorate over time and get weaker and while it doesn't help the late game right now, you'll see at the end of this post how they plan to make the late-game more interesting and challenging.

From just recently playing through the three Metro games I sense a lot of inspiration here. :D I'm not sure if it fits with the lore, I love Metro and the idea of this but personally I don't think this kind of things suits Zomboid.

Everything else you listed I think is fair game to be considered/discussed. Psychological stuff used to be slightly in years ago. You'd hallucinate zombies. Would be great to get it back and more fleshed out.

For endgame stuff, this is the kind of thing they're aiming for to make it not lackluster: Capture3.PNG

Good comment. Thank you!

15 hours ago, Charlypizza said:

A lot of the topics you are talking  are in the list to be develop. But more i would like to say that zombies in certain way are predictable u have slower and fast walkers and they stay just that way, which makes kitting a horde very comfortable, but what if later in game is more random a slow walker could suddenly be a faster walker when get close to you making the zombies more unpredictable.

This one would be nice if they implement basements, they could introduce large underground structures military type, maybe with some type of gas in it, that u need hazmat suit or gas mask to explore.

Also basements/underground structure is way more intense to explore cuz u don't have windows to scape or second floors to jump away, u will feel vulnerable/trap in this type of places. Plus they will be pitch dark only with a flashlight would be possible.

Yeah man! :D

On 10/31/2020 at 5:49 PM, MadDan2013 said:

Also it might be very personal but having these events that makes your character need to speed up the looting to get ready for some sort of event, an event that is also randomized timewise. Lets say a huge storm that can last for 2 days or 14. forcing you to stay inside all the time and actually see how much of a base you actually got and how good it is. 

The randomizing makes it replayable forever. I really love this game, and all the random stuff that can happend makes me wanna play it more and restart with a new character just to see what actually will happend "THIS TIME". It has this perfect Sandbox feel right now where the player controll the outcomes, and that is super exciting. 

Seeing the developers are making characters that will drive the story of the game is not something i really appreciate but it's interesting. I don't really wanna play over again to meet "Barbara and Ben" Over again each time, it would feel like i was just replaying the last game i had if you get me. 

23 minutes ago, Muew said:

Also it might be very personal but having these events that makes your character need to speed up the looting to get ready for some sort of event, an event that is also randomized timewise. Lets say a huge storm that can last for 2 days or 14. forcing you to stay inside all the time and actually see how much of a base you actually got and how good it is. 

The randomizing makes it replayable forever. I really love this game, and all the random stuff that can happend makes me wanna play it more and restart with a new character just to see what actually will happend "THIS TIME". It has this perfect Sandbox feel right now where the player controll the outcomes, and that is super exciting. 

Seeing the developers are making characters that will drive the story of the game is not something i really appreciate but it's interesting. I don't really wanna play over again to meet "Barbara and Ben" Over again each time, it would feel like i was just replaying the last game i had if you get me. 

I get you, but that's the opposite they're aiming for. :D

Kate and Bob are the story mode from way back when. The driving idea of the end-game is a replayable scenario that's never the same. Something like your very own zombie movie, different events, different characters with different traits. All this stuff is intended to be more dynamic and unique than set in stone and scripted.

Here's the best description from Lemmy (developer).

There's also some older blogs I can link if you're interested to know more. I get people are worried about them being fodder, and detracting but the main reason they were removed from back then is because they were bad. It's the biggest feature so all these systems really need to work well and be unique stories. Hopefully that comment will show you the depth and scope they're aiming for the end-game.

Edited by MadDan2013

4 hours ago, MadDan2013 said:

I get you, but that's the opposite they're aiming for. :D

Kate and Bob are the story mode from way back when. The driving idea of the end-game is a replayable scenario that's never the same. Something like your very own zombie movie, different events, different characters with different traits. All this stuff is intended to be more dynamic and unique than set in stone and scripted.

Here's the best description from Lemmy (developer).

There's also some older blogs I can link if you're interested to know more. I get people are worried about them being fodder, and detracting but the main reason they were removed from back then is because they were bad. It's the biggest feature so all these systems really need to work well and be unique stories. Hopefully that comment will show you the depth and scope they're aiming for the end-game.

Perfect post, thanks man for the information!