Visible bites/scratches on NPCs

GodWaffle

Hey guys,

I just thought about something, when NPC's and Multiplayer come along, there should be a way to see if a player or NPC is injured (bitten or scratched mainly), whether it be a modification to the graphics, or a menu that shows the status of someone (much like your own one), of course the graphical modification would be better but I understand it would be pretty time consuming to make all the different body parts and directions.

I just thought, because I believe there is a chance of surviving a bite (2%?), imagine you were this guy in multiplayer who shows off his bite from a year ago, "Yeah. Yeah, you see this? Yeah, I survived, bitch" that sort of thing.

And of course if someone has been bitten they could easily be the zombie apocalypse suicide bomber, hiding out in your base to die from a bite, and thus turn into a zombie in the base.  If we could see the bite then it would be harder for people to do this.

Just a quick thought, I think this would be a good idea though.

Agreed,

Way of checking:

No.1)

nobody want's to strip search (naked) because it's cartoon and weird so yeah, but I am thinking if you could like every day set up a time and your group all get checked wearing shorts together if you so choose them to. This should be there because if I was in a group I know for sure if I wasn't related to them I would be checking them for bites every night.

No.2)

Like you said, a menu to see if they have bites. (good idea btw.)

No.3)

Have it so your whole group can get suspicious if somebody is ill, say they start acting quite weird and all, you can just right click them in their sleep and it tells you if they're bitten or scratched.

Post more ideas for this to help support it because I do!

Nice idea, +1

Agreed,

Way of checking:

No.1)

nobody want's to strip search (naked) because it's cartoon and weird so yeah, but I am thinking if you could like every day set up a time and your group all get checked wearing shorts together if you so choose them to. This should be there because if I was in a group I know for sure if I wasn't related to them I would be checking them for bites every night.

No.2)

Like you said, a menu to see if they have bites. (good idea btw.)

No.3)

Have it so your whole group can get suspicious if somebody is ill, say they start acting quite weird and all, you can just right click them in their sleep and it tells you if they're bitten or scratched.

Post more ideas for this to help support it because I do!

Nice idea, +1

Thanks for the ideas man, I really think graphical bite marks would be the best way to show this, also that's a more realistic way of doing it, as you may catch a glimpse of the bite by accident, rather than having to check every NPC.  Good ideas :)

Its already planned to have visable bandages and such.

Do you know if visible wounds are planned? Bandages sure, but I'm assuming in the future when you stop the bleeding you'll be able to remove a bandage, so let's say this guy was out on a supply run and got scratched, or bitten (stopped the bleeding and removed the bandage later), he comes strolling back in, not yet feeling ill, but you can't actually see any wounds so you'd be none the wiser until he died and turned. 

We also need graphics for being eaten alive :D and also for zombies actually stopping to eat you :evil:

so let's say this guy was out on a supply run and got scratched, or bitten (stopped the bleeding and removed the bandage later), he comes strolling back in, not yet feeling ill, but you can't actually see any wounds so you'd be none the wiser until he died and turned. 

See, I'm against this. I think wounds and that should be hidden under clothing. I think a tell tale sign would be perhaps blood on the clothes, or some kind of tooltip when you hover over an npc/player and it might say (depending on some skill) 'You notice what looks like some kind of mark, but can't tell because its obscured by the clothing. Perhaps its nothing.'

As long as its not gamey and doesn't provide the player all the information on hand because I would rather alternative options in finding out about someone being infected rather than just looking at the npc character and going, "Yep! He's infected. Say hello to my 12 gauge!"

I want to have situations in which when I'm playing either with npcs or players (namely players) and one of us is infected, what fun is it if we can just instantly tell if one of us is infected? No fun at all! There's no risk at all then, and Zomboid is all about risk..

If I want to hide my bite mark from someone I should be able to do it in a balanced and fair way without any gamey systems that tells someone that I'm infected without putting much effort into trying to find out.

so let's say this guy was out on a supply run and got scratched, or bitten (stopped the bleeding and removed the bandage later), he comes strolling back in, not yet feeling ill, but you can't actually see any wounds so you'd be none the wiser until he died and turned. 

See, I'm against this. I think wounds and that should be hidden under clothing. I think a tell tale sign would be perhaps blood on the clothes, or some kind of tooltip when you hover over an npc/player and it might say (depending on some skill) 'You notice what looks like some kind of mark, but can't tell because its obscured by the clothing. Perhaps its nothing.'

As long as its not gamey and doesn't provide the player all the information on hand because I would rather alternative options in finding out about someone being infected rather than just looking at the npc character and going, "Yep! He's infected. Say hello to my 12 gauge!"

I want to have situations in which when I'm playing either with npcs or players (namely players) and one of us is infected, what fun is it if we can just instantly tell if one of us is infected? No fun at all! There's no risk at all then, and Zomboid is all about risk..

If I want to hide my bite mark from someone I should be able to do it in a balanced and fair way without any gamey systems that tells someone that I'm infected without putting much effort into trying to find out.

This is what I'm talking about, I'm saying there would be a small-ish bite mark on the person's arm or whatever, however if they put a sweater over it it would hide it, I think that hiding a bite is something a player should think about doing naturally, there should be no obvious "OH, THERES A BITE HERE GUYS" On a player, but rather a small mark, that you would spot naturally if you looked for it (unless it was hidden), it wouldn't be an instant tell-tale of infection if you cover it, but I think there should be a way of seeing a bite if a player doesn't take the care to hide it.

If that makes sense, I rambled a bit there haha.

This is what I'm talking about, I'm saying there would be a small-ish bite mark on the person's arm or whatever, however if they put a sweater over it it would hide it, I think that hiding a bite is something a player should think about doing naturally, there should be no obvious "OH, THERES A BITE HERE GUYS" On a player, but rather a small mark, that you would spot naturally if you looked for it (unless it was hidden), it wouldn't be an instant tell-tale of infection if you cover it, but I think there should be a way of seeing a bite if a player doesn't take the care to hide it.

What if there's a chunk taken out of the clothes? If they have their sleeve torn off along with a chunk of skin from the bite, they have to put on a new shirt to hide it. I would then notice a different shirt from the one they were wearing when they left and demand to see what they are hiding. Then I would murder the infected fuck.

What if there's a chunk taken out of the clothes? If they have their sleeve torn off along with a chunk of skin from the bite, they have to put on a new shirt to hide it. I would then notice a different shirt from the one they were wearing when they left and demand to see what they are hiding. Then I would murder the infected fuck.

That's what I mean, there would be a way to notice these things but it's something you'd do naturally, as in no tooltip or menu to show you, but just something that you spot.  The way I see it they're 98% likely to die anyway so a bullet to the brain should be fine.

Zomboids graphics aren't meant to have suche a high level of detail to spot little bite marks. I could imagine an option to look at somebody closely and then spot the mark. Or an automated general option, when the person you are playing spots it, it will think and so tell you a person has been bitten.

Then you can tell it the others and make a real search for marks.

Zomboids graphics aren't meant to have suche a high level of detail to spot little bite marks. I could imagine an option to look at somebody closely and then spot the mark. Or an automated general option, when the person you are playing spots it, it will think and so tell you a person has been bitten.

Then you can tell it the others and make a real search for marks.

I suppose.. I do play zoomed in all the time so it would be easier to spot them, however I'm sure a majority of players play on the default zoom level so I can see what you mean.  I guess that just having a way of seeing a bite or a scratch (either yourself or as you suggested, your player seeing it) would be a really good thing to have.

That's what I mean, there would be a way to notice these things but it's something you'd do naturally, as in no tooltip or menu to show you, but just something that you spot.  The way I see it they're 98% likely to die anyway so a bullet to the brain should be fine.

That seems like a great idea. Maybe they come home with a different shirt, or maybe they come home with a bandage over their arm. You can interrogate them about it, but they'll probably lie about it. Then it's up to you to make the call. Kill them or let them live?