Inventory rework

Go4tBoy

I Think that a tile based inventory system would be great for this game. like Escape from Tarkov, Day Z, and Resident Evil 4. (see attached photo for context)

It could let clothing have inventory space rather than you just being able to hold 10 units of stuff. course I see that it would be tedious to swap around items from your pants to a new pair, etc. but I think the struggle of organizing your items as a zombie, or three, bang on your door; but being able to visualize how your stuff is placed in your pack would feel less unorganized than a drop down list.

I'm not saying remove weight for a space system, but have both. it doesn't make sense to be able hold 250 potatoes in a backpack, but with the tile system you could have it only be able to stack 10 potatoes in a tile, thus you cant physically hold that many even if you have the strength to hold them. Same with other objects, like how does a rifle fit into a school backpack? I could see someone make a point that you could leave the top unzipped and leave it sticking out, which I think would be okay. 

Personally I think an extension to the holster system like the current hotbar in b41. if a backpack had a holster on the side that you slide any gun or two handed weapon into. it could let you have two weapons at the ready and it wouldn't take up space in the backpack. this all could fit into the tailoring system as well. adding new pockets to pants for more space?

This also has potential to give disorganized and organized traits New Life, maybe modifying how many of an item you can stack together or changing the size some items take up, or even making some storage have more space.

I could go on but I don't want to make a unreadable text wall.

oe0cu7bgw4d11.png

• 2 weeks later...

no stacking!

pockets should hold 4 small items, 1 medium item, and 0 big items.

there should also be "massive" items that you have to carry visually on your person.

in quarters.

pockets should also have damage percentages. if it is damaged items fall on the ground.

and maybe make a spiffo!

Edited by OxManZomboid

• 1 month later...

I want to bump this up since I'm starting to really feel this.

The text line inventory is clunky and slow to use. It is a pain to sift through a list of items with non-related sorting tags. I want that kitchen knife for cooking, but it's in with weapons, etc. The more the current system is used, the more the frustration can build up. This is most keenly felt during long shopping trips and sorting base inventory.

If time was a balancing factor, then you could potentially animate and slow the player when interacting with the backpack. Show them carrying the backpack in front of them as they paw through the bag.

The problem is that trying to make a system like the ones in those other games wouldn't so much be an inventory rework for the devs, as much as it would be a total system rewrite. Given the fact that the devs are already busting their asses for all these updates, I don't think adding an "Inventory Update" into the mix will help the slow development times we already have. Therefore, I think we need to work a Tarkov and DayZ like system into PZ with other changes and additions that wouldn't be so much work.

The most important change would be to add inventory shortcuts for every container that isn't within a different container. There is a great mod that does this and it makes inventory management so much simpler while maintaining the realism and challenge of it. I understand the idea that if you aren't holding it you shouldn't be able to look inside, but it isn't consistent with what we see elsewhere. Backpacks can be used instantly even though it's much easier irl to get something out of a plastic bag in your pocket than a bag on your back. Survivors can also carry 10-20 kg of items while holding heavy duffel bags in each hand and wearing nothing. In real life, if you are naked and it's not in your hands, you shouldn't be able to carry it. Where am I putting my hammer, pistol, and planks? Do I have 15 kg carry weight in my rectum? This brings us to the next change.

Devs should completely remove survivor inventory, and replace it with clothing inventory. No need to simulate pockets, but just have a weight cap for each pair of clothing and give it an Inventory Shortcut. Jeans should be able to carry 5, Formal Shirts maybe 2, and a Bikini might only be able to carry 0.05. Naked survivors should not be able to hold anything unless it's in their hands. This would work well with the new Temperature systems, as it would create a need to find high weight cap clothes you can wear in the warmer months, unless you find a bag. It could also be fun if layered clothes concealed the "pockets" underneath, so you would need to take layers off to access what you had in various clothing items.

These things alone should make the inventory management of the game more engaging and realistic, and take out a lot of the tedium of the current build's system. As I think managing stockpiles and containers is one of the biggest parts of the game, I think it's really important that they take it a step further. That's why we need another tracked value called Volume. Each item would have a Weight and Volume tag, and each container would either have a Weight and Volume capacity. This would allow us to more accurately simulate what would and wouldn't fit into various containers.

- Fixed Containers - Floor, Freezers, Chests, Crates, Boxes, Bins, Car Seats, Stashes, Campfire - Hard Volume Cap, No Weight Cap. You could put 1000 kilo of supplies in these as long as they fit.

- Shelf Containers - Shelves, Clothes Racks, Corpses, Displays, Cases - Hard Weight Cap, No Volume Cap. You could either put 1000 canned goods or one arcade machine, as long as it doesn't break the shelf.

- Mixed Containers - Fridges, Ovens/Grills, Lockers, Counters, Cabinets, Dressers/Drawers, Vending Machines -  Hard Weight Cap, Hard Volume Cap. Just like the fixed containers, you can't fit everything in these. However, you also need to take into consideration the strength of the inner shelving, so the weight doesn't break the object.

- Wearable Containers - Should have a Hard Weight Cap, but a variable Volume Cap based on traits, moodles, and bag addons.

I think a system similar to Encumberance but for furniture could be great here. Imagine you have too much in your fridge and it has a chance to completely break, destroying some of your food. These are all things that wouldn't take too much time to code, but would add so much to the game. This update would have the potential to take a lot of the boring monotony out of scav runs and base management, without taking the challenge out of actually having to move things around and carry bags when you go shopping.

Um... I sort of like it the way it is. Sure, it is clunky and somewhat unrealistic, but hoarding items required for survival is what makes the game fun for me, and also the reason why it is worth it carrying bags and working on your strength. Diablo-styled inventory, where you grab three spears and you're full, might be closer to realism, but I regard it as a chore.

Personally, I'd prefer an improved system of favouriting items, so that the items you use a lot are not only undroppable, but you can also find them more quickly - a filter that only shows you your favourited stuff, or a way to assign your handful of most used things to hot keys.

My personal opinions and standpoints.