Prosthetics

MrKus

I thought about this idea for a long time and decided to write it. Why not add prosthetics to the game, such as a wooden hand that can be used as a club, or a chainsaw. You were bitten by a zombie, you can usually die and nothing else, but with prostheses you can chop off a bitten arm or leg, so that the infection does not pass, as for me it will increase the variety of gameplay. You can also do that, when you hit a limb in a multiplayer with a cutting weapon, the limb will have a chance of chopping off this limb, but I'm not sure if this will heavily load the network code, and sorry for my English, I wrote with a translator.

the idea about getting bit and cutting off your arm isnt great in my opinion. It doesn't make sense. In real life if you were bitten by something that gave you an infection you would have to take an anti biotic because it would spread through your system so fast. it takes like 30 second-a minute for blood to circulate through your whole body 

• 4 weeks later...

Devs have said they would look into Amputation somewhere down the line. Most likely in whatever build brings Diseases/Psychology. A total Health Overhaul maybe. I imagine the general idea would be that if you got bitten on a limb, you might have 10-20 seconds to amputate before infection spreads. Maybe you could have longer if bitten on hand or foot. Obviously, surviving this would be incredibly difficult and blood loss would be extreme. You would need days to recover, and weeks to get back to normal. Pain would be awful and risk of infection would be very high. This would also need to be predicated on cauterizing wounds (also confirmed), since I can't imagine being able to survive this in SP without it.

More than likely, though, this wouldn't be used to save you from a bite. PZ zombies are based on Romero/Brooks lore. Even though, in WWZ, a limb was removed after a bite to save the survivor, I don't think this fits Zomboid. It would be fun, but I would rather a less cheeky system be put in to possibly prevent death by zombification. I think MP servers would quickly fill up with amputees and it would just look weird and would instantly break immersion. If anything, amputations would probably be used to save survivors from frostbite, necrosis, blood rot, really bad infections, etc. These health conditions and more are likely to come to the game at some point, and I imagine that forcing players to amputate their limbs to survive a little longer fits the atmosphere of the game to a tee.

That said, I like the idea of prosthetic limbs being added to the game. I think the mod Hydrocraft has them spawn on random zombies and you can use them for scrap. That alone is a fun idea. But if we can take prosthesis from corpses and use them to replace our amputated body parts, that would be pretty grotesque and definitely fit the games mood. Maybe even craftable peg legs or hook hands like you said would be nice. Idk about chainsaw hands, even though I love the Evil Dead and playing a PZ playthrough as Ash is now on my list of things to do LOL:D They did say chainsaws were coming at some point and thats good enough for me! I would say a hunting knife hand attachment, a la Sgt. Four Leaf Tayback, isn't unrealistic and could definitely be on the table.

Edited by TrailerParkThor
Accidentally clicked without proofreading