Skill Internships: Learn skills from other players!

Kris00

So I've searched through the suggestions and planned features, and I can't find anyone else who had an idea like this, so... Here's my suggestion.

Skill Internships! That's right...

An internship is where one learns professional skills working at a company. So what the H would a Skill Internship be and how does it apply to Zomboid?

A Skill Internship is a way to learn certain abilities from other players that might be difficult to attain otherwise. Say you watch your friend, who's a mechanic, do engine work on a standard model vehicle 50 or so times, or maybe watch someone repair a generator 25 or so times. This would give YOUR player the relevant ability of the skill in use! You learn from your friend what recipe magazines would normally teach you.

In short, you would stand around within a 3x3 square within someone performing an action, and you would learn the relevant skill.

Okay, so now we know how it works... But...

We already have recipe mags. Why would this ever be useful?

Say you've searched Enigma Books and looted every house in West Point, and you still haven't found that darned How to operate generators magazine!

Or maybe you're late game and all of these magazines have been scattered or used as fuel for fires by other players!

Or you don't even know how to read in the FIRST place! Poor, illiterate child...

Well, you're just out of luck then survivor!

But not with internships!

Internships make co-operation in the apocalypse even more meaningful, and the late game more dynamic. This could even potentially apply to NPCs in the future!

That's my idea. Feel free to let me know what you think. It may not be much, but I think it's an interesting prospect. Thanks for reading! :-)

19 hours ago, Kris00 said:

That's my idea. Feel free to let me know what you think. It may not be much, but I think it's an interesting prospect. Thanks for reading! :-)

We can already learn skills passively from TV; maybe the same mechanic can be applied here. Would be super neat as another vector for interaction in mp.

Nice idea!

Maybe some kind of watch and learn activity so you couldn’t gain skill points by just hanging around other players and NPCs. 
The player could watch others build things, use generators, take a part electronics and gain some small amount of xp through the action. That way it would require some patience and planning like reading and wouldn’t nullify the punishing aspect of not being able to read at all. Maybe even put a cap on skill advances to level 2 or 4 depending on the skill level of the character you’re learning from. Just a way to get started. 

Edited by Moloch Horridus