100% GPU usage 2080ti ?

Diilicious

Mods load the processor and RAM. Even with a lot of mods, these values are not normal. There is something wrong with your graphics card. Have you changed the thermal paste for a long time, cleaned fans and radiators from dust?

Maybe bitcoins are being farm on your computer, and you don't even know about it?

I dont use mods, just the base game. I run it in 4k but even so, even star citizen only uses 40% of my GPU. it seems incongruent that something like this would demand so much resource. as for the age of the thing it is quite new, no other game i play has anything close to this.

On 10/12/2020 at 5:19 PM, Nebula said:

Mods load the processor and RAM. Even with a lot of mods, these values are not normal. There is something wrong with your graphics card. Have you changed the thermal paste for a long time, cleaned fans and radiators from dust?

Maybe bitcoins are being farm on your computer, and you don't even know about it?

I have seen an increase in hidden bitcoin malware over the last two years, so that is plausible. They can account for high CPU usage as well. 

If your system is lagging unexpectedly open task manager and try to very quickly look for a high cpu using task to suddenly disappear from task manager. The most recent one I saw would run then close once you opened task manager to try and hide itself, but there was a 1-2 second period where I could see it before it did so. If it's one that works like that, you can also leave task manager open and see if the odd usage suddenly goes away.

Try running some antivirus scans (Avast! antivirus has a pretty good free version) and Malwarebytes Antimalware is good specifically for malware. The built in Windows Defender isn't particularly good and Microsoft sucks at keeping it regularly updated.

Is v-sync enabled in the graphic settings? If it's not, I am willing to bet the graphics loop is running as many times per second as it can. V-sync should limit it to 60 frames per second (or whatever your monitor's refresh rate is... Typically 60 Hz though).

• 1 month later...

turn  off v-sync. this isn't some malware issue, it's just zomboid

also NEVER use avast, it's more malware than anti-malware at this point. you shouldn't need anything more than a windows security scan then a malwarebytes manual scan over it

If you have two monitors, perhaps some of the usage is down to drawing the windows desktop on the second one. Try turning it off, if this is the case.

Personally, I'd not expect it to use 100% of the gpu, regardless. It certainly doesn't on my 980ti at ~qhd res or 4K.

PZ's not remotely built for 4K regardless. We aim for 1080p, as most of our audience is on the lower-end of the hardware spectrum, on computers that are as much as 10 years old. Naturally, it doesn't scale well.

Archived