Horray, I survived winter!

-MaVerick-

...and died 11 days after my RL birthday, 21th of march.

2A6AABC39DD089614AA28850F45F67F0158C3EA0

Boy what a ride. Rest in peace my lumberjack dude. Lets take a quick look at his post apocalyptic live, shall we?

To be honest, his start was pretty easy. He found himself a base in Westpoint that was up and running, but nobody to be seen. Maybe it was from another survivor, who may got eaten somewhere...a shooting range for example. Who knows. Winter was already coming so setting up for that was priority.

I really love winter in this game, especially aesthetically, but it wasn't the challenge i expected it to be according to some posts I've seen elsewhere. Even with temperature well below freezing point, was long as you have some decent clothes and keep indoors for activities that require sitting around, you are pretty much fine regarding that. Foodwise I had a steady income of strawberries and other veggies from my indoor fields. Getting unhealthy food isn't a big deal either, grab an axe or 2, a car and secure the next best restaurant or fuel station. Being a lumberjack makes the axe a sooo much better weapon. My standard weapon setup was an axe and a handaxe on the belt, for when i forget to check the condition being on a zombie killing spree.

On calm winter days I went east, across the river, down the highway. My long term plan was to decimate the zombie population as good as I can, keeping the highway relatively clear and setting up shop in a nearby construction yard. Just like my main base. I also ripped all clothes from every zombie I killed on the way, leaving a trail of naked, dead zombies. With the thread won from ripping, my character was getting better and better with tailoring, reaching lvl 9 at the end. Driving was hard at first, cause you can't see the streets anymore, but you get used to this. Also you can see dead bodies better on snow, so there's that :D

55FCE36F310D542647507D68D556FA715894D174

If you wonder, yes those 3x8 fields are packed with potatoe seeds and were even growing just fine. Snow and coldness doesn't make much difference it seems.

A few days after those wonderful snow potatoes found their way into my freezer, the snow was gone and while trying to secure that construction yard I told you about, my character was cornered and forced to jump over a big wooden fence, a leap of faith. Luck wasn't on our side.

Thank you IndieStone for giving me that theethgrinding feeling of losing an ingame character I was working on for hours, days, weeks. I love it and I mean it.

So...new save or new character?

Thank you MaVerick for the post and the pics. I love seeing base builds by other players. I appreciate the creativeness of others and they offer me build ideas as well. So sorry about your character but, we all know our character's lives are temporary when we start a game. Doesn't make it any easier though, especially if we have managed to stay alive for a considerable amount of time and have invested a lot into him/her. But, we learn to suck it up and begin again. I've done both....start a new character within the saved game and just start a new game altogether. I've derived pleasure from both scenarios. Just depends on how I'm feeling at the time and if I want to let go of a base I've (my dead character) put so much time into. 

I'm a fairly new player and I've been wondering about whether crops survive/grow in the winter. I think I might give it a try, If I ever make it that long, but I've also considered it might be a good time to take a road trip to another town since I wouldn't have to be concerned about watering and harvesting my plants.

Archived