Solution to end game safety

Geras

IMO a solution to end game safety would be to turn 'Urban focused' distribution on zombies turn slowly into 'Uniform distribution', let's say within a game year.

This way, eventually, no place on the map would be safe from zombies, as they would naturally move/spawn around to equalize their numbers across the entire map. Or maybe more of them would stay in the cities, but wilderness would also have some population, but not as big as cities.

To my best knowledge zombies currently move naturally from one adjacent cell to another, but their migration gets bottlenecked by cells with very low population limits.

My solution would increase these low population limits as time progresses, removing the bottleneck.

6 hours ago, Geras said:

IMO a solution to end game safety would be to turn 'Urban focused' distribution on zombies turn slowly into 'Uniform distribution', let's say within a game year.

This way, eventually, no place on the map would be safe from zombies, as they would naturally move/spawn around to equalize their numbers across the entire map. Or maybe more of them would stay in the cities, but wilderness would also have some population, but not as big as cities.

To my best knowledge zombies currently move naturally from one adjacent cell to another, but their migration gets bottlenecked by cells with very low population limits.

My solution would increase these low population limits as time progresses, removing the bottleneck.

This is a good idea.  You could also do the same thing with cells that have a lot of player made stuff, bringing the population around those areas higher than others.

It would be cool to see gunshots and other loud sounds temporarily increasing the population cap as well.  Then we can simulate zombies hanging around the area they last heard sounds even after we wander off.

30 minutes ago, Faalagorn said:

I think there's a mechanic when zombie traverse map, but even if it is I agree that it is underused a lot. It would be good to encounter horde traveling  from one point right through your  safe place. 

Doubt there is some mechanic.

We are usually parked in these 3 houses near a river. Literally every game, and i have never seen any zombie migrate there.

Over month, over 6 months,. over a year. Even with insane population this place remains empty, but within 2 cells down there are million zombies on the field.

So op is right, legal migration system is needed to keep player on feet and prevent completely safe places.

3 hours ago, Caturday said:

We are usually parked in these 3 houses near a river. Literally every game, and i have never seen any zombie migrate there.

Over month, over 6 months,. over a year. Even with insane population this place remains empty, but within 2 cells down there are million zombies on the field.

So op is right, legal migration system is needed to keep player on feet and prevent completely safe places.

Thanks for the reply! I remember hearing about it, but either it was a really old build, it's not working properly, it was entirely different game I confused or I made it up which is also a possibility :D

15 hours ago, Caturday said:

Can confirm. I survived for 7 months in this place here:

https://map.projectzomboid.com/#0.39902734136614454,0.038777983386069026,253.34010852616257

And after killing the initial population, no zombies ever came there.

On 9/30/2020 at 4:41 AM, Geras said:

Can confirm. I survived for 7 months in this place here:

https://map.projectzomboid.com/#0.39902734136614454,0.038777983386069026,253.34010852616257

And after killing the initial population, no zombies ever came there.

I think the issue is you need to leave that cell for 3-4 days for 10% of the zombies to "spawn" back. Also setting helicopter to often should also help you with your no zombies problem :)

3 hours ago, Zomboid said:

I think the issue is you need to leave that cell for 3-4 days for 10% of the zombies to "spawn" back. Also setting helicopter to often should also help you with your no zombies problem :)

No, respawn and migration are 2 different things, and they happen independently of each other. I want for zombies to migrate into my area from other cells, even if I live in the woods. This is not working correctly now.

13 hours ago, Zomboid said:

You are talking about respawn, he says about migration.

For example: you have traveled to some world's arse house with 10 zombies within 5 square miles.

If you rape them, this place will be completely empty if you do not lure zombies from nearest cells by ur own wish.

If you leave the area, these poor 10 zombies will respawn.

What game is needed: completely overmap zombie migration. Just imagine: no safe places anymore, you can sit in the woods and be sure these crowds of mudraugh zombies may crawl to your ditrection and will meet you some day. That will force people to completely fortify their eng game bases in the deep corners, also there wont be "eng game" because every month or a day there is real chance coming crown will ruin everything you have and force you to fight. Or to leave ? That horde might be real horde, not a randomly migrating zombie crowd.

Problem is that this goes against the idea that you should be rewarded for having the common sense to shack up in an area where zombies are unlikely to go. This instead turns it into more of a tower defence — and right now, building is too costly and cumbersome  to really support that. Until that’s changed, modding this should be as easy as making a sound repeater that’s silent to the player but can be heard by the virtual hordes.

We already know migration works to some extent because we periodically get complaints about huge hordes destroying people’s remote bases, but I wish I could confirm it was working correctly otherwise.

15 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Problem is that this goes against the idea that you should be rewarded for having the common sense to shack up in an area where zombies are unlikely to go. 

What the point of building heavy fortified base in an area without zombies or zombie danger ?
Player usually unable to build such base (metalworking one f.e.) in the crowded city for obvious reasons (no resources and million zombies), but in an empty area you do not need it at all only if you want to play minecaft house building or playing multiplayer.

Maybe some "zobies roam everywhere" smol option ? Would be damn nice.

We already know migration works to some extent 

No it doesnt,.current migration is a zombie destribution within cells due to population difference.

If a cell is empty BY DEFAULT, zombies will not move to that call from nearest cells, may stuck on border occasionaly, thats all.

We were discussing that liek a year ago, and you said the same, Yet in discord i;ve never seen some1 providing any proofs of roaming zombie hords to famous empty places. These places are always empty since the very beginning of the game and remain the same unless player drags hordes with a horn/shoots intentionaly.

Edited by Caturday

People like building things. Bases otherwise serve no purpose, just like in MineCraft.

And no, that is not how it works, as I’ve apparently explained before. Chunks can be overloaded with zombies causing them to flow outward and vice versa. The density map mainly controls respawn and whether a chunk is overloaded or not.

A cell is also a 300 x 300 area. It’d be pretty pointless to use that as the deciding factor for whether a group can or can’t travel, as it’s a huge area.