You need a hammer to pile up rocks (construction complaints)

MrHrulgin

As it stands things like a cairn (6 rocks) or a log wall (4 logs, 4 ripped sheets) still require you to have a hammer in your inventory regardless of there being no hammering at all involved in their creation. Why is having a hammer in your inventory required to even engage with the carpentry skill? Why not have a single "construct" option, where subsets of items can be built dependent on the equipment you have?  At this point if you aren't holding a welding torch, you have no idea what you could build with metalworking. Ditto with a hammer and carpentry.

My ideal solution:

• A single "Construction" option in the right-click dropdown, with everything buildable contained within it.
  • Within that, categorization much like we currently have within carpentry/metalworking: walls, doors, floors, etc.
  • Within those, all options, regardless of what tool is required, with clear indication of what tools are needed.

This would lead players to easier discovery of the options available to them and allow you to construct things that don't need tools without them being gated behind holding an irrelevant tool. 

This would be cool, I was thinking about it as well, thanks for doing the thinking and organizing it nicely! This will also open up to mods which may add even more options to the menu :)

Speaking of the long walls, I think it should require a shovel to place, while costly they are easy enough to make so having a shovel would both give a use to it while not being too hard to find: https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20738-build-38-and-beyond-small-but-important-suggestions-thread/page/35/&tab=comments#comment-294472 and give a bit of noise when planting and while at it, I also think that other hammes should be useble for crafting – maybe some being faster to build with, to differentiate them a little? After all, it's easier to build stuff when you have proper tool for it, but you can improvise if you don't https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20738-build-38-and-beyond-small-but-important-suggestions-thread/page/34/&tab=comments#comment-293916