Food that is prepared in a dish should be salvagable, not destroyed completely.

Casual_Survivor

I actually had no idea this was a thing, but I was making a dish with salmon and vegetables, when I put too much salmon into it and was unable to put anything else in despite having valid items on my person.  So through the crafting menu, I emptied the pan only to discover that it actually destroys the items within rather than salvages them.  I'm not sure why it operates this way currently, maybe it's just an oversight or possibly an older mechanic that was intended to be addressed in the future.  If not, I find it bizarre that valuable food would somehow just disappear because we put too much of it into a pan.  Going forward I'll be mindful of this mechanic but it seems antithetical to a survival game where food is a major resource to have it just vanish into the void.  I understand you're cutting things into portions, but why not treat portions as a separate item with its base stats reduced by however much a portion is.

For example, I was able to cut salmon up into two portions; if I wanted to salvage it, why not just create two items called Salmon (portion) and make its stats 50% of what a full salmon would be?  I would say items like liquids (vinegar, ketchup, mustard, etc..) and granular types (salt, pepper, sugar, etc...) would be un-salvageable, but solid items like fruits, veggies, meats, cheeses, and so on should be allowed to be salvaged from a dish if it's still being prepared and not yet cooked.

Also, this is a little off topic, but I had no idea putting a full salmon into a roasting pan would stop any other items from being added.  I'm not sure if this is communicated to you with higher level cooking skills but accidentally putting too much of something into the pan to the exclusion of everything else, and then not being able to salvage any of it seems like it should be communicated in some way if that's how the mechanic is going to continue to function.

13 hours ago, Pandorea said:

Most dishes in game allow to add 6 ingredients/instances (exception being sandwiches, which allow to add 4 iirc) + condiments, probably a good thing to keep in mind when crafting those awesome feasts in game :)

Interesting.  Maybe it was some sort of bug?  I had only added in two parts of salmon when it wouldn't let me add anything more, that's why I wanted to empty it and start over.

On 9/18/2020 at 11:06 PM, Casual_Survivor said:

Interesting.  Maybe it was some sort of bug?  I had only added in two parts of salmon when it wouldn't let me add anything more, that's why I wanted to empty it and start over.

Maybe... can you remember what dish you were making? Was it via RMC or Crafting menu? Are you using any mods?