Feature or bug? Smashing vehicle windows

Jonas

It seems to me that it's much too difficult to smash the windows of vehicles. It often requires standing at precise right spot to have the option in the menu to smash the window. It seems to never work if I stand behind the vehicle so the windows aren't visible on the screen. But even with the windows that are visible on the screen, it doesn't always work even if I try really hard to find the right position. Is this how it's intended to be?

I think it should be made much easier to smash the windows, and it should also be possible to smash a window just by swinging your weapon at the vehicle while standing next to it.

2 hours ago, Jonas said:

I think it should be made much easier to smash the windows, and it should also be possible to smash a window just by swinging your weapon at the vehicle while standing next to it.

This actually is possible as far as I'm aware. Or it used to be at least.

But overall I agree, it's tricky and would be great if it worked easier. Normally it tends to be towards the back of the car where I can get it to pop up.

Maybe you need to hit a window multiple (>3) times with a wrench or frying pan or such. I don't think I've tried that, just hit the car a few times which doesn't seem to do anything at the moment. I'll have to try again.

1 minute ago, Jonas said:

Maybe you need to hit a window multiple (>3) times with a wrench or frying pan or such. I don't think I've tried that, just hit the car a few times which doesn't seem to do anything at the moment. I'll have to try again.

This should be the case. The car will make a noise when hit, as well, to indicate you have the right spot. 

So I tried some more now, and with a pipe wrench or a baseball bat, it was about 5-10 hits (I guess depending on the starting condition of the window). Seems a bit odd that it takes up to 10 hits to break a window that way when all it takes is one hit if you right click and select smash window?

And yes, if possible, it should be made much easier to get the "smash window" option to appear. As it is now, it seems that you need to stand in precisely the right spot and also have some luck, because the dialog option doesn't appear consistently.

I've noticed in order for the "Smash Window" option to appear you have to be standing in the spot to make the green rectangle appear on the ground, indicating which door you're facing.

I know nobody asked, but you can also shoot the windows of a car out as well. I use cars as barricades to make little kill-boxes and many times the spread of a shotgun blast will take out a car window. 

Edited by Sick Boy

Smashing windows are now much easier with the new dial menu. I don't try to find that sweet spot any more. I just stand next to the vehcle, press V and a radial dial comes up with the option to smash window. Perhaps using this method will allow for only having to smash once and not multiple times?