Different types of sickness and how they work.

Mows1313

So for the past few months I've lost several character due to sickness. I've read posts from people that says it takes about 3 days to get rid of. however every time one of my characters get sick they die after about 6 hours. It's always when i have no antibiotics or vitamins or have low food but it seems way too quick. I normally play with the Z infection mortality off too. I know there's colds and food poisoning but what exactly are all the different types and the specifics on how they works/ how to combat them. None of the wikis explain them just that they exist. 

As far as I am aware this is how it works:

Has a Cold

Cause: Being cold and/or wet for long periods of time, hypochondriac trait.

Treatment: Staying well fed as much as possible, not getting cold/wet, and probably extra rest. Tissues help muffle sneezes/coughs which may attract zombie attention.

Prevention: Equipping an umbrella in one of your hands slows the rate that you get wet and reduces the maximum amount of wetness you can get,

changing out of wet clothing, drying yourself with a towel, having Outdoorsman and Resilient traits.

Sick

Cause: Consuming expired food and (eating) cigarettes and having the hypochondriac and weak stomach traits.

Treatment: Staying well fed, and lots of rest.

Prevention: Don't eat expired food, having Iron Gut and Resilient traits.

Zombification

Obviously from being bit by a zombie. Appears to function just like being sick, but once it flares up health begins to rapidly drain until you die, and it cannot be cured by any means. Staying well fed will slow the rate of health loss and buy you a little time.

Wound infections

Cause: Dirty/untreated wounds, leaving bandages on for too long, and has a small chance to occur regardless.

Treatment and Prevention:  Keeping the wound and wound dressings(bandages etc) clean. Antibiotics help, but I'm fairly sure they do not help with anything else. Bandages can be reused and cleaned with water and made sterile by using of a bottle of disinfectant on them which also makes them safer to use than bandages only cleaned by water.

Vitamins only help with fatigue and exhaustion, and only in a minor way.

Archived