American Culture Question:Curtains

NathanDrake

First of all please dont mind my english mistakes thanks.

I dont know where to start but am i the only one who thinks there are no curtains in places where it should be i mean its common for the bedrooms and the bathrooms ingame but there are of course places where no curtain expect the bathroom it doesent affects gameplay of course but i just wondered there are so less stock curtains for houses in PZ is it only ingame or is there no curtains in real life too expect bathroom,bedroom and so less for Muricans?(yes its so dumb question i just wondered sorry)

The game does not very accurately represent American homes either in layout/size and like you wondered, the usage of curtains. In my experience it's rare for any window to not have either curtains or blinds. Also in the majority of houses I've ever been in, the bathroom is usually an interior room that has no window. Ones that do exist, sure, but in my experience it's fairly rare. But some compromises have to be made for gaming.

Different regions in the US can influence home design quite a bit though.

3 hours ago, BoogieMan said:

The game does not very accurately represent American homes either in layout/size and like you wondered, the usage of curtains. In my experience it's rare for any window to not have either curtains or blinds. Also in the majority of houses I've ever been in, the bathroom is usually an interior room that has no window. Ones that do exist, sure, but in my experience it's fairly rare. But some compromises have to be made for gaming.

Different regions in the US can influence home design quite a bit though.

Gotta remember that in 1993, most houses would have been. 20-30 years older. That is, both smaller and with what appear as weird decisions today, like the bathroom getting a window for ventilation instead of a fan. Or sitting rooms — haven’t seen those in ages, open concept revolution, baby. 😛

You don’t know pain until you have to fix the rot caused by a window directly above the tub.

I live in Dixie, south of Kentucky, and every full-sized window in the building has blinds. My home state (Georgia) is subtropical; the sun is hot and the air conditioning runs twenty-four-seven from about late April to the third week of September. The master bathroom has a tiny octagonal window next to the toilet for lighting, but it's high up. One of the largest windows in the building is directly above the tub (a huge jacuzzi, specifically), but it is frosted and only serves for lighting and decoration. Those are the only rooms without blinds.

The den (the "family room" and not the greatroom, for you Yankees) normally has either curtains or blinds. My great-grandmother hung old-timey drapes (made by Johnson and Johnson back when their textile mills made general purpse fabric) in the den. My family hangs blinds. My grandparents used to have those vertical blinds that slide, but they replaced them with dark, pull-down shades.

In short, yes, coverings over windows are ubitiquous in the South, especially in the time period that "Project Zomboid" is set in. Modern Dixie residences forsake curtains for blinds and the cancer of huge open spaces without walled-in sitting rooms is inescable. I hate it.

3 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Gotta remember that in 1993, most houses would have been. 20-30 years older. That is, both smaller and with what appear as weird decisions today, like the bathroom getting a window for ventilation instead of a fan. Or sitting rooms — haven’t seen those in ages, open concept revolution, baby. 😛

You don’t know pain until you have to fix the rot caused by a window directly above the tub.

Indeed, I was born in 1980 and grew up in Indiana, and it's very similar to Kentucky.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, I should note, BTW, that Kentucky has one huge meteorlogical difference from the Deep South. While a part of Dixie proper, Kentucky differs from my state in that it has actual seasons. Georgia, Florida, and those such states are subtropical to actually tropical.

Kentucky is temperate. Kentucky has the summers of Dixie and harsher winters that are not only cold, but have regular snow. The Deep South usually sees about three weeks of cold and less than one snowfall per year.

Meanwhile, states like Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, the Carolinas, and Florida have three seasons: allergy season, the OH MY GOSH WHY IS IT SO HOT season, and wintertime. There is no transition from summer to winter or winter to summer.

Indie Stone successfully modelled Kentucky's diverse seasons correctly AND factored in the extreme summertime heat. Indie Stone did some serious research when they made this game.

I've lived in Florida for awhile and that's pretty accurate, although the "Winter" time here is maybe two months where on average you can get by with a hoodie, if that. Unless you're out at night in which case you might need a light to medium coat if you'll be outside for extended periods of time. I've seen it snow a few times, but it melts the moment it hits the ground and never accumulates. Although in the very northern edge of Florida I've heard that it can make a slight dusting on the ground for a short time. Also see hail pretty much every year down here, which I rarely saw up north, not sure why that is.

Most of the time it's unpleasantly hot and humid. And sometimes you can get a sunburn in less than an hour. You can often spot the tourists by how sunburned they are, poor buggers. WEAR SUNSCREEN!

Not to be a dick but it could be that the devs didnt bother to add it to every single house for example map mods like Raven Creek or West Point Expansion, all houses have curtains/sheets on ALL windows which is pretty cool and also a lot more attention to detail and better furnished houses.

Archived