Fanny packs are useless (?)

crossed

So a small experiment with the organized trait

Fanny packs weigh 1 in the inventory

Fanny packs weight .3 when equipped

Putting a 3 weight item into the pack reduces your weight by .21

3 weight item vs Fanny Pack (equipped) + 3 weight item in pack = -.09 weight, so you end up weighing more by using a fanny pack.

Also of note, the fanny pack did not receive increased capacity with the organized trait. I could not add a .1 weight item to the fanny pack after placing a 3 weight item in it 

Got the same numbers when testing with a character without the organized trait.

So currently, in regards to fanny packs, the organized trait does nothing for them, and they seem to be a minor weight penalty at the cost of having an additional container to organize stuff? Guess it really depends on how much .09 weight will encumber you, maybe if they had a very minor reduction on weight and/or added quickslots like the belt they would be more useful.

Thinking about this more... IRL, vagina... I mean fanny packs are often used as concealed carry containers... An alternative to a holster so to speak... Could it maybe be an alternative "Attachment" point for small handguns or other useful things ? Would basically work same way as any other prerequisite to [unlock] an attachment point.... (Belt req for left/right)... (Holster req for pistol) to attach.. etc...  To make it more realistic, maybe draw time could be slower vs. holster... On that note, a sling should be the prerequisite to be able to sling rifles on the back...

• 1 month later...

If realism is the goal you could make carrying over capacity more punishing.. IIRC currently it only gradually slows you down, but what if you were forced to use your hands for carrying? I mean, once your bags are full to the brim, there's going to be a limit to how much you can fit in your pockets. If that were the case, any wearable container would be useful regardless of its reduction stat, because it would allow you to use your hands for more meaningful stuff.

Perhaps add a "pockets capacity" to all clothing items (that have pockets), and add these together into a virtual container (e.g. a certain outfit might have a pocket capacity of 2.8 and when you put on a jacket it goes up to 4.5). And if the player wants to carry something heavier/larger than this they will have to put the item(s) in their hands. I think this would lead to a lot of players running around with a plastic bag in their off-hand early game, but wouldn't that feel pretty normal for a zombie apocalypse?

For me are just a filter to separate small items that really don't weight a lot like meds and cigarettes, more weight reduction would be nice and more models as fanny packs depending of the model the weight reduction like a military fanny pack could reduce the weight more.

Also i suggested the usage of vest (hunter vest foreman) to work just like the fanny packs i think they are more appealing and they weight reduction could be more cuz the weight is on the shoulders. 

I get OPs point about how you are better off just having the 3.0 KG plank in your main inventory, its lighter than a plank in a fanny pack, because the capacity and weight reduction are too small.

But I disagree all bags should meet that formula.

In the real world bags weigh something, most bags, fanny packs, will weigh something, and not carry much stuff, they aren't a good way to carry lots of gear versus a big hiking backpack. This is the reality of them.

In game they serve the purpose of organising your stuff. So you're not scrolling looking for some little item that's buried with all the other crap you have crammed in you your backpack etc.

As an analogue, with backpacks in general - office type, or hiking, they generally have lots and lots of pockets and zips and organisational features, bells and whistles - these aren't free. That laptop divider adds weight, that bladder holder adds weight. For ultralight hiking, they'll take the most basic bag - a big open bag, no additional pockets, or zips, just one big open space - because it is lighter. The trade off is organisational compartments vs weight. Want the most weight efficient option, don't take the bumbag it's dead weight. Want more organisation - different places for different things,  pay the weight tax - this is how it works in the real world. So it adds realism to the game IMO.

We ought to be careful with our suggestions about weight and organization, if only because the game's engine, as of right now, only really involves "weight" and not "volume". That said, I do like @notorius-B.D.A.W.G's idea of having certain bags be better at organizing materials, or allowing players to sort their gear in a more personal way. Honestly, realism aside, it'd make for a really interesting dynamic between wearable containers; bigger bags come with less organization, and I don't doubt that most players will just not care, but smaller bags—like the school bag—won't just stay as early-game trash due to its low carry weight. People could wear it, or a bigger backpack of some kind, and have their gear nicely organized.

Archived