The Forest - Survival Horror Simulator

GodWaffle

Hey Guys,

This isn't my game - but I feel like I need to mention it here since the game look extremely good, even more so considering it's an indie game.

Basically, you're the only survivor of a plane crash on an island, and the idea of the game is to survive and thrive on this island, however it's already inhabited by a mutated tribe of cannibals that lurk underground and come up to hunt during the night.  

You need to eat, drink, and sleep, keep warm, etc.  You can chop down any tree, and use the logs to build a shelter, and to craft tools and weapons out of sticks and stones.  Oh and it has Oculus Rift support!

Sounds a bit like Minecraft, but watch the two trailers:

Here's the description from the official website:

Build, explore, survive in this terrifying first person survival horror simulator.

The world

Enter a living, breathing forest with changing weather patterns, plants that grow and die. Tides that roll in and out with the day/night cycle.  Below ground explore a vast network of caves and underground lakes.

Complete player freedom

Chop down trees to build a camp, or start a fire to keep warm. Scavenge food to keep yourself from starving.  Find and plant seeds to grow food. Build a small shelter or a large ocean side fortress. decorate your home with found items. Lay traps and defenses to keep a safe perimeter.

Gameplay

Explore and build during the day. Defend your base at night. Craft weapons and tools.Bunker down during the evening or bring the fight directly to the enemy.

Fight or Hide

Use stealth to evade enemies, or engage them directly with crude weapons built from sticks and stones.

A new type of open world, survival horror experience

Defend yourself against a clan of genetic mutant enemies that have beliefs, families and morals and that appear almost human.

So, what do you guys think? Are you excited for this game? Personally I cannot wait for this, I felt I should post this here to spark some more interest in the game as it seems to currently be quite unknown to most and I think it deserves more attention.

-GodWaffle

Survival games are finally going on the market... All of them are either alpha, or kind of riddled with bugs. This one looks a lot like Miasmata.

But then again, I feel like these "Cosmetic zombie-monster-alien-looking things" are going to ruin the game. It's not that I don't like things like these, It's just that there are dozens of things that can kill you in the forest, bears, tigers, panthers... Depending on what climat it's based in, but they just had to put some monster creatures in... I don't know.

Survival games are finally going on the market... All of them are either alpha, or kind of riddled with bugs. This one looks a lot like Miasmata.

But then again, I feel like these "Cosmetic zombie-monster-alien-looking things" are going to ruin the game. It's not that I don't like things like these, It's just that there are dozens of things that can kill you in the forest, bears, tigers, panthers... Depending on what climat it's based in, but they just had to put some monster creatures in... I don't know.

As far as I know they aren't monsters per-say, they're a tribe of cannibals that have lived on the island isolated for god knows how long, and living in caves they've mutated quite a bit.  I do know there's a mode which turns off the mutants.

Also, I've spoken to the developer of this game and it's confirmed there are predatory animals as well (and prey for you to hunt)

• 6 months later...

I was playing this last night. There is definately some potential there, but right now it's very early days - lots of bugs and content is thin on the ground. It's definately one to keep an eye on, but a little early to form an opinion based on what is currently on offer.

Hey i got this game yesterday , and i dont have the best pc but it runs most games smoothly eg minecraft rust 7 days to die , and ive tried putting all the settings down on The Forest but its just still lagging :( any ideas?

thanks , kingmags

I'm liking what I am hearing about this game.  To be honest, I always worry about games like this. A few I have tried look great until you start playing them, and realize everything is just a cardboard cutout with "Content coming soon" written on the back.

I'm liking what I am hearing about this game.  To be honest, I always worry about games like this. A few I have tried look great until you start playing them, and realize everything is just a cardboard cutout with "Content coming soon" written on the back.

Buying the game once it's actually come out of early access is a good way to avoid this.

And, as an actual ontopic comment, I've been following this ever since the first video came out. Am really looking forward to playing once it's reasonably finished, as it looks like they have lots of right ideas regarding construction and moodsetting. And besides, there's a Fiskars axe in there, you don't really need anything else to survive.

I was waiting for quite a long time for this, and I have to say that this is one of the very rare games that live up to their hype trains (imo).

What annoys me is the bunch of kids that are screaming around that the game has bugs and that they die in stupid ways, or the general fact that these people are trying to enjoy a game without any bugs that is released early so that people can report glitches and bugs to help the devs find them and patch em quicker, and just want to play instead of reporting bugs and just go full metal "DIED BY A PLANT THIS GAME FUCKING SUCKS I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!111".

However, avoiding those kinds of people I feel like the community is pretty mature and fun to have discussions and such with, and the game itself is awesome and has a lot of replayability even in its current state, then again, I find every game that has even somewhat realistic melee combat in it awesome :D.

Also, this is the only game I know that has a realistic forest in it where you can get blinded by plants and get lost quickly, other than in almost every other game where deep forests are simply grass with some trees and bushes in them, and I think the wildlife and immersion is simply awesome.

Also, alot of people including me believe that the game plays somewhere in canada because im 97% sure its a canadian boreal forest. Incase that is true, we could get some grizzly encounters (see what i did there :D?) with bears and maybe lions too. 

It would be dope to have raccoons and bunnys as pets xD

Also, alot of people including me believe that the game plays somewhere in canada because im 97% sure its a canadian boreal forest.

What makes you think it's specifically in Canada? There's plenty of similar woodland in northern Europe and Russia.

don't forget Alaska, Romania, Japan, just a few of the countries + regions with boreal forests like the one in the game

Also, alot of people including me believe that the game plays somewhere in canada because im 97% sure its a canadian boreal forest.

What makes you think it's specifically in Canada? There's plenty of similar woodland in northern Europe and Russia.

Because the currency / cash you find littered on the ground are dollar notes, the plane had a german flag on it so its either in germany, USA or canada. Im extremely highly sure that this game doesnt play in russia, and german forests dont exactly look like whats shown in the game. Also, there was a story of a lost colony in virginia, who knows if it play there? Back before the game came out the wiki stated that the game played in a forest somewhere in america. And lastly, I hope for it to be and the weather you see in the game is extremely similiar to the climates found in a canadian boreal forest and the foliage is, also, mostly found in canadian boreal forests. Climate, foliage and dollar notes hint quite alot to a canadian forest.