Thick skinned or self defense class?

IHaTeCookie

What is the difference between these traits? From what i understand thick skinned decreases the chance of getting infected when you get scratched, and blade/blunt guard decreases the chance of actually getting scratched in the first place. Which trait is more beneficial in the long run? Also im playing on build 40 if that changes anything.

I think Thick Skinned is better. The other just raises a skill, which you can do in anyway although it may be slower if it affects your XP gain for that skill.

I believe Thick Skinned gives you -10% chance to be scratched, and -3.75% less chance of being bitten. A little less effective if unarmed though. Combined with defensive skills and it can be a nice improvement to your durability.

Weapon skills do the same thing more or less, reduce your chances to be bitten/scratched and XP for it is granted on hits/kills with blunt or blade weapons. Thick Skinned is like getting bonus guard from the beginning that will always be effective regardless of defensive skill level. A guard 10 character with Thick Skinned will have even less chance of getting hurt than a guard 10 character without. Seeing as any landed bite has a 100% chance of infecting you, any chance of reduced bite chance is good.

12 hours ago, BoogieMan said:

I think Thick Skinned is better. The other just raises a skill, which you can do in anyway although it may be slower if it affects your XP gain for that skill.

I believe Thick Skinned gives you -10% chance to be scratched, and -3.75% less chance of being bitten. A little less effective if unarmed though. Combined with defensive skills and it can be a nice improvement to your durability.

Weapon skills do the same thing more or less, reduce your chances to be bitten/scratched and XP for it is granted on hits/kills with blunt or blade weapons. Thick Skinned is like getting bonus guard from the beginning that will always be effective regardless of defensive skill level. A guard 10 character with Thick Skinned will have even less chance of getting hurt than a guard 10 character without. Seeing as any landed bite has a 100% chance of infecting you, any chance of reduced bite chance is good.

I thought thick skinned only reduced the chance to get infected when you actually get scratched? wdym by -3.75% chance? dont you either get scratched or bitten for sure? Also i doubt i can survive long enough to max guard skill without +1 starting lol

4 hours ago, BoogieMan said:

I don't think anything reduces the chance for getting infected, you can just lower your chances by getting hit less often.

then thick skinned is only a character creation trait while self defense class can become redundant in late game, doesnt that make self defense class worse than thick skinned at the same points?

I haven't done the math but I think Thick Skinned is worth more than 1 guard skill regardless, maybe as many as 3, and it always applies and isn't specific to either blade or blunt weapon use.

For what it worth, I'm using the latest version of PZ (iwillbackupmysave) and I just checked and I no longer even see Self Defense Class as an option you can pick, so I guess it's getting removed, or the omission is a bug.

Archived